My co-workers 335i

Started by SVT666, July 09, 2007, 11:19:59 AM

SVT666

Here are pics of my co-workers 335i.  The springs, ECU, wheels and tires are all aftermarket.  He's getting it dynoed soon to see what he's got for power now, but the dyno graphs he has seen typically show 330 hp at the wheels.

SVT_Power

you guys go out on a photoshoot or what :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Raza

I can't get over how bad the coupe looks.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tave

Very nice. I think I prefer a tradition antenna to the shark fin.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

LonghornTX

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=10053.msg500862#msg500862 date=1184002580
I was just thinking the opposite  :tounge:.

HEMI:  What type of wheels are those?  Yokohama tires?
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza on July 09, 2007, 11:36:20 AM

I didn't want to say it...

SVT666

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=10053.msg500862#msg500862 date=1184002580
You're just an anti-BMW troll so I'll tell my co-worker to ignore your comments. :nono:

ChrisV

Beautiful. Love the stance and the color, and the wheels just set it off.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

ChrisV

SVT666

Quote from: LonghornTX on July 09, 2007, 11:41:21 AM
I was just thinking the opposite? :tounge:.
I personally think this is the sweetest looking BMW ever made and one of the best looking cars on the market today.

QuoteHEMI:? What type of wheels are those?? Yokohama tires?

Wheels = Privat "Reserv" 19x8.5 front and 19x9.5 rear
Tires = Goodyear F1

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on July 09, 2007, 11:48:34 AM
You're just an anti-BMW troll so I'll tell my co-worker to ignore your comments. :nono:

I mean, the sedan looks a lot better, in my opinion.  I don't like the coupe's proportions.  Actually, I don't think I really like any of the 3 series coupes, other than the E30, obviously. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

93JC

I'm going to agonize for the rest of the afternoon trying to figure out where that is. Some suburban neighbourhood in the south, for sure.

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SJ_GTI

Wow, looks great.

Only thing I don't like is the polished lip on the wheel. I've never understood why those are so popular.  :huh:

I am definitely jealous though.  :ohyeah:

Champ

Does the ECU void his warranty?

I suppose though if you have money to buy that car and then modify it you should hopefully have some left to support it.

SVT666

Quote from: Champ on July 09, 2007, 11:59:27 AM
Does the ECU void his warranty?
Yup, but he's not very smart.  He's got good taste, but he lacks in the intelligence department. :lol:  It only voids it if they can link the problem back to the ECU upgrade, which they will find a way to do...IMO.

ChrisV

Quote from: SJ_GTI on July 09, 2007, 11:55:34 AM
Wow, looks great.

Only thing I don't like is the polished lip on the wheel. I've never understood why those are so popular.  :huh:

Because it looks better than all painted and really emphasizes the width of the rim itself. other than fully polished, it's my favorite look for a wheel. Like these 19" wheels I'm considering for the E38:

LonghornTX

Quote from: ChrisV on July 09, 2007, 12:06:38 PM
Because it looks better than all painted and really emphasizes the width of the rim itself. other than fully polished, it's my favorite look for a wheel. Like these 19" wheels I'm considering for the E38:

x2

SJ_GTI

Because it looks better than all painted...

In your opinion.

...and really emphasizes the width of the rim itself.

I've seen plenty of wheels that have both the polished lip version and the unpolished lip, and niether looks inherently wider.

I've got nothing against them, but its pure taste.

ChrisV

Quote from: Raza  on July 09, 2007, 11:53:38 AM
Fixed.

:lol: :lol:

Hahaha.

Seriously, however, I love the coupes better than the sedans. I always have, and given the choice will pick a coupe version of a car over the sedan version. My years of studying automotive design from the turn of last century to the present just points out the better proportions of the coupes, for the most part, and this is no exception. The sedan looks too plebian, whereas the coupe looks more rakish. I wish the 7 series had been available as a coupe...

Champ

Quote from: HEMI666 on July 09, 2007, 12:03:44 PM
Yup, but he's not very smart. He's got good taste, but he lacks in the intelligence department. :lol: It only voids it if they can link the problem back to the ECU upgrade, which they will find a way to do...IMO.

Ya, most problems can be blamed on the ECU.  This and that failed because it was designed to handle stock power and now it's more so poo poo.

The warranty thing is the the largest factor in my decision to keep my car at stock levels (still have a full warranty until next year or 100k miles @87k now).

ChrisV

Quote from: SJ_GTI on July 09, 2007, 12:09:24 PM
In your opinion.

And my opinion has been developed from years of study, not just knee jerk reaction. I learn my opinions, and don't just form them out of thin air. The polished rim with painted center is indicative usually of multi-piece wheels which is more in line with performance cars than monoblock wheels.

QuoteI've seen plenty of wheels that have both the polished lip version and the unpolished lip, and neither looks inherently wider.

Polished or machined, it draws attention to the rim itself (which is just the outer portion of the wheel, not the entire wheel) emphasizing it over a painted rim. And in dark colors, it gives separation from the dark grey/black of the tire, keeping the dark wheel from looking like a space saver spare or a base trim steel wheel. This is a real psychological result.

QuoteI've got nothing against them, but its pure taste.

You also said you didn't see why others liked it. I'm trying to explain why. Not just why I like them, but the psychology of design that makes it popular. As a designer, that's an important facet.

Raza

Quote from: ChrisV on July 09, 2007, 12:09:50 PM
Hahaha.

Seriously, however, I love the coupes better than the sedans. I always have, and given the choice will pick a coupe version of a car over the sedan version. My years of studying automotive design from the turn of last century to the present just points out the better proportions of the coupes, for the most part, and this is no exception. The sedan looks too plebian, whereas the coupe looks more rakish. I wish the 7 series had been available as a coupe...

That's cool.  I can't quite point out what it is about this that I don't like (if I had to guess, it's something towards the rear of the profile) but I guess I generally do like coupes like you do.  But, I guess because I have such a background in economics, I see it as a tradeoff in usability for style, and coupes often cost more (unlike the Civic Si, and it looks better than the sedan; though I almost see myself paying more for the usability), so it's not a tradeoff that I often find worth it to make. 

Take the big coupes, like the XJ or the last CL.  Achingly gorgeous, but when it costs so much over the sedan version, it makes more sense to go for sedan. 

But then again, that is the logical reason to buy a sedan over a coupe.  Sometimes logic is overrated, though.  Often, really.  I've been accused of being completely emotional when it comes to cars, and I see that.  That's probably the best way to do it.   

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SJ_GTI

Quote from: ChrisV on July 09, 2007, 12:15:38 PM
And my opinion has been developed from years of study, not just knee jerk reaction. I learn my opinions, and don't just form them out of thin air. The polished rim with painted center is indicative usually of multi-piece wheels which is more in line with performance cars than monoblock wheels.

Polished or machined, it draws attention to the rim itself (which is just the outer portion of the wheel, not the entire wheel) emphasizing it over a painted rim. And in dark colors, it gives separation from the dark grey/black of the tire, keeping the dark wheel from looking like a space saver spare or a base trim steel wheel. This is a real psychological result.

You also said you didn't see why others liked it. I'm trying to explain why. Not just why I like them, but the psychology of design that makes it popular. As a designer, that's an important facet.

Wow, get off your high horse. You sound like such a prick.  :rolleyes:

I've been seeing polished lips for years now, this isn't something that just came to me out of thin air when I saw the 335i above.

"Because it looks better" isn't an explanation.  Your second explanation, that it somehow makes the wheel look wider, is also suspect IMHO.

I've seen as many, or more, cheap wheels with polished lips than i have seen expensive forged wheels. In fact, now that you mention it, it sounds even more tacky. It sounds like people get it to give the impression they have forged wheels, when really they don't. Kind of like those monobloc wheels with the fake bolts glued on.  :lol:

r0tor

i give him a  :ohyeah: for having a very nicely done driving machine

... i just can't get myself to love the looks of the 3er coupe though
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SVT666

He's getting a real laugh out of the ChrisV vs. SJ_GTI argument...as am I. :ohyeah:

GoCougs

Quote from: HEMI666 on July 09, 2007, 01:00:23 PM
He's getting a real laugh out of the ChrisV vs. SJ_GTI argument...as am I. :ohyeah:

Hey, don't dismiss it. It's an important topic.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: HEMI666 on July 09, 2007, 01:00:23 PM

You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little fucked up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to fuckin' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?

LonghornTX

Quote from: SJ_GTI on July 09, 2007, 12:43:47 PM
Wow, get off your high horse. You sound like such a prick.? :rolleyes:

I've been seeing polished lips for years now, this isn't something that just came to me out of thin air when I saw the 335i above.

"Because it looks better" isn't an explanation.? Your second explanation, that it somehow makes the wheel look wider, is also suspect IMHO.

I've seen as many, or more, cheap wheels with polished lips than i have seen expensive forged wheels. In fact, now that you mention it, it sounds even more tacky. It sounds like people get it to give the impression they have forged wheels, when really they don't. Kind of like those monobloc wheels with the fake bolts glued on.? :lol:
I think you both have valid points.  From a purely design standpoint, Chris is correct IMO.  Polished lips, especially when combined with contrasting centers have a way of emphasizing the width of the wheel.

However, I am starting to see a lot more wheels like you described.  Cheaper wheels, that want to look more expensive.  But really, there is nothing wrong with that because most of the time they still look great.  And who can afford $700+ per wheel?

ChrisV

Quote from: Raza  on July 09, 2007, 12:31:25 PM
That's cool.  I can't quite point out what it is about this that I don't like (if I had to guess, it's something towards the rear of the profile) but I guess I generally do like coupes like you do.  But, I guess because I have such a background in economics, I see it as a tradeoff in usability for style, and coupes often cost more (unlike the Civic Si, and it looks better than the sedan; though I almost see myself paying more for the usability), so it's not a tradeoff that I often find worth it to make. 

I rarely use the useability, and if I need practicality and carrying capacity, I can always take a truck or SUV or even a minivan (which is logic over emotion in a big way). I do like a big luxury sedan, but more for the imposing look of a large sedan. As the car gets smaller and sportier, the useability of the rear doors/seat diminishes to the point it's really not a factor.

QuoteTake the big coupes, like the XJ or the last CL.  Achingly gorgeous, but when it costs so much over the sedan version, it makes more sense to go for sedan.

I think of it as art. it makes more sense to get that which makes you happier, and which can bring a better return on your money if you need to sell. A coupe will usually outperform a sedan version in both the aesthetic and resale areas.

QuoteBut then again, that is the logical reason to buy a sedan over a coupe.  Sometimes logic is overrated, though.  Often, really.  I've been accused of being completely emotional when it comes to cars, and I see that.  That's probably the best way to do it.   

Logic tells me the best values are dirt cheap used economy cars and cheap used utility vehicles, like my dad's free '80s Dodge turbo caravan. If I'm thinking logically, that's where I'd gravitate, not to a 4 door version of the better looking coupe. ;) So I let emotion guide any non-practical purchase. And since I can afford a cheap logical car, then logic doesn't need to raise any issues other than budgeting for it in any other automotive purchase. :lol:

And yet I bought the 7 series that's a 4 door. Budgeting did that. It was an M3, 7 series, or Jag XJC. The XJC was too old to get financing, and the M3 just slightly out of budget range. So the E38 it was, and I'd be just as happy with any of the three.

Hell, when I went to dinner last night in Little Italy here in Baltimore, the BMW got parked in front of the restaurant door by the valets. I love that. :lol: