Local Kid Dies in Accident... Hear What the Non-Enthusiast Public Has To Say

Started by TurboDan, July 09, 2007, 12:25:32 PM

TurboDan

Our local newspaper has a comment forum for each article they post.  This topic has to do with a 22 year old kid dying on Fischer Blvd. in Toms River, NJ.  Fischer Blvd. is actually a very safe road, two lanes in each direction and usually light on traffic. 

Most of the comments echo what our LEOs say here...  the "public" believes lower speed limits and higher fines are the cure-all for this sort of thing.

http://forums.app.com/viewtopic.php?t=12828

Catman

Champ

Wow there are some people on there I'd like to have a 1 to 1 talk with and just say what the hell are you thinking.  No seriously, tell me what you are thinking cuz I can't figure it out.

A) Why are so many people typing in all caps?  Seriously figure it out.

B) first page was riddled with: 22 year old crashed, I'm SURE drugs / alcohol / cell phone was involved.  These people just IMMEDIATELY spit out oh he was probably high on meth and heroine, while taking shots of jag, texting on his phone and jerkin off.  Because every 22 year old drives like that.

C) Some teenager crashes his car goin 100 in a 45 and they say let's lower the limits...?  wtf?  Oh yea, John Doe doin 100 in a 45 would take it down to 40 if you set the limit at 35.  I'm sure he wouldn't speed then.....  (Not related to that story, but that's why people were advocating lower speed limits.  That just doesn't make sense.)

ad naseum....

Raghavan

Wow. I like how people are making up parts of the story when they don't know anything.
And i like how others are talking about how young drivers make the roads unfit for bicyclists. :rolleyes:
That's a risk you have to take. If you ride around thinking you're going to be run over by a young driver, you should go live in a padded room by yourself. :rolleyes:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Champ on July 09, 2007, 11:33:37 PM
Wow there are some people on there I'd like to have a 1 to 1 talk with and just say what the hell are you thinking.? No seriously, tell me what you are thinking cuz I can't figure it out.

C) Some teenager crashes his car goin 100 in a 45 and they say let's lower the limits...?? wtf?? Oh yea, John Doe doin 100 in a 45 would take it down to 40 if you set the limit at 35.? I'm sure he wouldn't speed then.....? (Not related to that story, but that's why people were advocating lower speed limits.? That just doesn't make sense.)

ad naseum....

No it doesn't make any sense: the kid was obviously ignoring the speed limit, and it wouldn't matter to him if it was 45 or 70 or 25: He was completely ignoring it.

This reminds me of everytime some drunk kills somebody on the road; Despite the fact the guy's BAC was already 2 or 3 times the legal limit, somebody will always suggest lowering the limit.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

The vast majority of the times someone has caused me to take evasive actions, the driver of the other car was middle aged. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Champ

I forgot to add, by far the most outrageous claim on those forums was:

QuoteForget age. I'm in favor of re-testing every driver who receives a moving violation and/or is involved in an accident. We should scrap the vehicle inspection and replace it with a driver inspection. You get a ticket for speeding, reckless driving, DUI, failure to use your seatbelt or signals, etc. you go to re-testing. Eyes, written, road test, the whole bit.
failure to use my seatbelt means I should go get everything retested?  Or turn signals?

GoCougs

This individual committed significant transgressions behind the wheel - only he is to blame.

The spirit of those posts I agree with: the only way to compell better behavior on our roads is through consequences.

The spirit of those posts I don't agree with: that young drivers are worse today; it only appears that way IMO. There are not only more young drivers, but a higher percentage of young drivers with cars, along with the proliferation of bleeding/leading MSM.

Raza

His road behavior will be perfect now.  He's dead.  Way more effective than a fine. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rich

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=10057.msg501978#msg501978 date=1184081335
His road behavior will be perfect now.? He's dead.? Way more effective than a fine.?

:praise:? Darwin theory at its best

It would just be sad if he hurt someone else while he's improving the gene pool, though.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Raza

Quote from: HotRodPilot on July 10, 2007, 09:57:09 AM
:praise:? Darwin theory at its best

It would just be sad if he hurt someone else while he's improving the gene pool, though.

That's true.  It's a damn shame when other people get hurt.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TurboDan

Quote from: GoCougs on July 10, 2007, 09:27:07 AM
This individual committed significant transgressions behind the wheel - only he is to blame.

The spirit of those posts I agree with: the only way to compell better behavior on our roads is through consequences.

But did he?  Nowhere in the article did it say he was speeding, drinking, talking on a phone, or doing anything else wrong.  For all we know, his brakes could have gone out or something.  Why is "he to blame?"  Where is your evidence to blame him?

Tave

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=10057.msg501908#msg501908 date=1184078613
The vast majority of the times someone has caused me to take evasive actions, the driver of the other car was middle aged.?

Could be because the vast majority of drivers ARE middle aged.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

GoCougs

Quote from: TurboDan on July 10, 2007, 10:22:41 AM
But did he?? Nowhere in the article did it say he was speeding, drinking, talking on a phone, or doing anything else wrong.? For all we know, his brakes could have gone out or something.? Why is "he to blame?"? Where is your evidence to blame him?

Single car accident; straight four lane road; 4.15am; young male driver?

Context and experience tells me that it's at least a 99% chance that he was doing at least one of those things (or something of that ilk).

etypeJohn

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=10057.msg501908#msg501908 date=1184078613
The vast majority of the times someone has caused me to take evasive actions, the driver of the other car was middle aged.?

Must bge a regional thing.  The vast majority of the time that I have to take evasive actions its because of a) some kid who can't drive, or b) some twat on a cell phone.

TurboDan

UPDATE:  It appears there wasn't alcohol or drugs involved.

2 young drivers killed in accidents
Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 07/10/07
BY KATHLEEN HOPKINS
TOMS RIVER BUREAU

Post Comment
Authorities are seeking witnesses to two early morning fatal, one-car, accidents Monday in Ocean County.

Jonathan Barna, 22, of Waters Edge Drive, Toms River, was pronounced dead at the scene of a crash about 4:15 a.m. on Fischer Boulevard in Toms River, said Toms River Police Chief Michael G. Mastronardy.

About 5:25 a.m., a car driven by Lynn M. Manna, 21, of Berkeley's Bayville section, crashed into several trees after leaving the southbound lanes of the Garden State Parkway in Stafford, killing her, New Jersey State Police said.

Speed was "most likely" a factor in the Parkway accident, based on the amount of damage to Manna's car, said Sgt. Andrew Randik of the Bass River station of the State Police.

It appeared both victims were wearing their seat belts, authorities said.

Autopsies revealed both victims died as a result of multiple injuries, said Capt. Jeff Harper of the Ocean County Prosecutor's Office.

There were no passengers in either car, police said.

Police said they've not heard from witnesses to either crash.

"We don't believe at that time in the morning, there were any (witnesses)," Mastronardy said of the Toms River accident.

"We have no witnesses," Randik said of the Parkway crash. "There's nobody to talk to about it."

Mastronardy said police believe Barna was on his way home from Seaside Heights when his 2001 Nissan left the northbound lanes of Fischer Boulevard near the Yellow Bank Road intersection and struck a tree and a utility pole, Mastronardy said.

There were some, although not many, skid marks in the road, the chief said.

Mastronardy could not say whether speed was a factor in the crash, saying that is part of the investigation.

The East Dover and Silverton fire companies had to extricate Barna from the wrecked car, Mastronardy said.

Traffic was detoured from the northbound lanes of Fischer Boulevard until 6:30 a.m.

There was no traffic backup or lane closures in the southbound lanes of the parkway in Stafford, where Manna's 1997 Honda Accord left the road at milepost 64.6, according to State Police. Her car struck the trees on the driver's side door, he said.

Manna was last seen the night before at the Sloop Creek Drive home where she lives with her mother, Randik said. Police believe Manna was traveling from her home when she was killed, but they do not know where she was going, he said.

"She was seen there (at home) at night and left there some time during the night or in the morning," Randik said. "Our guys went up there to talk to the family. We're looking into friends who may know something."

Authorities had no indication that either driver was impaired by drugs or alcohol, but in both cases that is part of the ongoing investigations.

Anyone who witnessed the Parkway accident in Stafford is asked to call Trooper Adam Tighe at (609) 296-0503.

Anyone who witnessed the accident in Toms River is asked to call the police Traffic Safety Bureau at (732) 349-0150.

CARE TO COMMENT? Visit our Web site, www.app.com, and click on this story to join in the online conversation about this topic in Story Chat.

Kathleen Hopkins: (732) 557-5732 or khopkins@app.com

etypeJohn

And give me a break.? The kid could have been working some odd hours at a Walmart or gas station and just driving home and fell asleep.? An animal could have ran out in front of him and he lost it taking evasive action.? Another driver might have accidently caused him to run off of the road.

Would any of you like to have everybody automatically assume that you were drunk, high on drugs driving recklessly or whatever everytime you had an accident?

James Young

Quote from: GoCougs on July 10, 2007, 10:43:43 AM

Context and experience tells me that it's at least a 99% chance that he was doing at least one of those things (or something of that ilk).

Context and experience should tell you to look first at falling asleep, the number one cause of single-car crashes, the fastest growing type in America.

Another likely possibility is suicide, not officially recognized by NHTSA as a "cause of" or "factor in" crashes, but estimated by academic types at anywhere from 4% to about 15% of all fatal crashed.   

"Round up the usual suspects. . ."

The almost universal response of the safety cabal (fostered by the woefuly ignorant public) is to lower the speed limits or the allowable BAC, which of course arises from their institutional behavior rather than from the reasoned address to solving a problem.
Freedom is dangerous.  You can either accept the risks that come with it or eventually lose it all step-by-step.  Each step will be justified by its proponents as a minor inconvenience that will help make us all "safer."  Personally, I'd rather have a slightly more dangerous world that respects freedom more. ? The Speed Criminal

Raza

Quote from: Tave on July 10, 2007, 10:27:31 AM
Could be because the vast majority of drivers ARE middle aged.

Yeah, but in, say, high school, you're around a lot of kids, and you leave around the same time.  Still, it's mostly adults. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

GoCougs

Quote from: GoCougs on July 10, 2007, 10:43:43 AM

Quote from: James Young on July 10, 2007, 11:18:47 AM
Context and experience should tell you to look first at falling asleep, the number one cause of single-car crashes, the fastest growing type in America.

Another likely possibility is suicide, not officially recognized by NHTSA as a "cause of" or "factor in" crashes, but estimated by academic types at anywhere from 4% to about 15% of all fatal crashed.? ?

"Round up the usual suspects. . ."

The almost universal response of the safety cabal (fostered by the woefuly ignorant public) is to lower the speed limits or the allowable BAC, which of course arises from their institutional behavior rather than from the reasoned address to solving a problem.

Perhaps, sure.

IMO however, falling asleep is "something of that ilk."

hounddog

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 09, 2007, 11:49:19 PM
No it doesn't make any sense: the kid was obviously ignoring the speed limit, and it wouldn't matter to him if it was 45 or 70 or 25: He was completely ignoring it.

This reminds me of everytime some drunk kills somebody on the road; Despite the fact the guy's BAC was already 2 or 3 times the legal limit, somebody will always suggest lowering the limit.
Exactly right.  Sometimes, people actually are responsible for what they do, and this prooves it.  It also is a good case for speed enforcement, and DUI enforcement. 

Sometimes police, engineers, and other government officials can do their job exactly right and perfectly and still have people doing stupid things and die.  If this guy were on the plaines of Africa I would call him Lion food.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

hounddog

Quote from: Champ on July 09, 2007, 11:33:37 PM
B) first page was riddled with: 22 year old crashed, I'm SURE drugs / alcohol / cell phone was involved.? These people just IMMEDIATELY spit out oh he was probably high on meth and heroine, while taking shots of jag, texting on his phone and jerkin off.? Because every 22 year old drives like that.

Well there has to be a reason 18-25 year old males have the highest insurance premiums.  The majority of times one of these factors will play into account.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Champ

Quote from: hounddog on July 10, 2007, 04:19:08 PM
Well there has to be a reason 18-25 year old males have the highest insurance premiums.  The majority of times one of these factors will play into account.
I'm not saying it did or didn't, I just thought it was silly that so many people immediately jumped to the conclusion of him being totally wasted and going very fast.  Nothing was even published.  What happened to innocent until proven guilty!?!?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Champ on July 10, 2007, 05:46:38 PM
I'm not saying it did or didn't, I just thought it was silly that so many people immediately jumped to the conclusion of him being totally wasted and going very fast.? Nothing was even published.? What happened to innocent until proven guilty!?!?

That applies to a court of law. The public at large has a funny way of deciding that for themselves.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

James Young

houndog writes:

QuoteExactly right.  Sometimes, people actually are responsible for what they do, and this prooves it.  It also is a good case for speed enforcement, and DUI enforcement.

That?s absurd.  We don?t know enough about the incident yet to render useful judgments, yet that seems to be insufficient to keep the yokels in NJ from offering up conclusions, judgments and condemnation for something about which they know nothing. 

Far from being a good case for speed enforcement and DUI enforcement, it should act as a yellow flag that tells us to use our heads and our science to ascertain facts before we formulate and test a hypothesis, much less apply a ?remedy? to it.  If one of the two most likely causes ? falling asleep and suicide -- actually obtains, neither one of those could possibly be mitigated by speed or DUI enforcement.

There is no correlation between the intensity and/or type of enforcement and changes in the key safety measures.  Without correlation, there can be no causation.  Without causation, you can change enforcement up, down or sideways but it cannot and therefore will not affect the public safety.   Continuing to perform the same actions over and over, hoping for a different outcome is a classic definition of insanity.  Traffic engineering and enforcement are no exceptions.

Speed limits are not benign creatures without costs.  Lowering speed limits to below what people actually drive yields no safety results but does lower respect for all other laws and those who enforce them. 

We must get past the ignorant, institutionally-driven insistence that consistently results in rendering all of us just a little more dystopian.
Freedom is dangerous.  You can either accept the risks that come with it or eventually lose it all step-by-step.  Each step will be justified by its proponents as a minor inconvenience that will help make us all "safer."  Personally, I'd rather have a slightly more dangerous world that respects freedom more. ? The Speed Criminal

TurboDan

UPDATE #2:

A couple more articles have come out since the other day.  Turns out the kid had not been drinking, and he was driving home late because he worked as a waiter at a Bar & Grill on the boardwalk, which doesn't close until late at night. 

Champ

Hmm... I bet I could sell a few "jump to conclusions" matts up there..  :)

Raza

Bullshit.  He was young, therefore he was snorting coke, smoking weed, and doing jello shots on the way home from having unprotected premarital sex with multiple partners, some of them of the same sex. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Champ

Quote from: Raza on July 11, 2007, 09:48:26 AM
Bullshit. He was young, therefore he was snorting coke, smoking weed, and doing jello shots on the way home from having unprotected premarital sex with multiple partners, some of them of the same sex.
And probably different species too.

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i