Holy Snorkels!

Started by TheIntrepid, July 10, 2007, 01:42:03 PM

TheIntrepid

No text is needed, just this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ6Z29wHGLw

Holy crap!

It's a Toyota Land Cruiser if I'm not mistaken.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

CJ

Toyota Hi-Lux Turbo Diesel.

TheIntrepid

SJ_GTI

Did you guys read through the commentary by the driver?

Its impressive that it got through that without being washed away (and clearly it was built specifically to ford water), but overall it was still in pretty bad shape afterwards. Its defintely not something you would want to do on a regular basis.

CMan

Quote from: Morris Minor on September 26, 2008, 08:43:28 AM
I'm going to buy a tube radio so we can huddle round it and, by the light of a single candle, listen to President Obama's fireside chats.

Raghavan

MidnightDave

Great post, thanks!

I once had water over the hood going through a "puddle" too fast four wheeling in the North GA mountains in the Taco and fried the alternator. When the dealer opened the hood they said, "this one time, under warranty, after this, you're on your own". I thought that was more than fair.

The worst was the smell! That mud got into every nook and cranny and smelled for weeks!
2006 Lexus IS350 - bone stock wouldn't change a thing
2006 MINI Cooper S - For Sale!
2002 Toyota Tacoma - A man and his truck, it's a beautiful thing!

TheIntrepid

hounddog

That is what you call a "dumb ass."   If he had gotten stuck there, we would have seen the daring rescue of this poor innocent victim traveler who had been somehow percariously  caught in this predicament on TV news for weeks.  Guys like that piss me off, because it is us who have to go and then risk our lives to rescue them.

Thankful he made it.  Sorry about the rant.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

pommes-t

Damn. Tomorrow I'll order a snorkel for my Polo!!!

Tave

Quote from: pommes-t on July 11, 2007, 04:11:57 PM
Damn. Tomorrow I'll order a snorkel for my Polo!!!

You better. Sometimes rain puddles can get pretty treacherous.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Raghavan

Quote from: hounddog on July 10, 2007, 09:58:55 PM
That is what you call a "dumb ass."   If he had gotten stuck there, we would have seen the daring rescue of this poor innocent victim traveler who had been somehow percariously  caught in this predicament on TV news for weeks.  Guys like that piss me off, because it is us who have to go and then risk our lives to rescue them.

You don't even know the whole story. What if he's done it before and is sure he can do it? :rolleyes:

CMan

Did you guys read his commentary? It was supposed to be half that deep.
Quote from: Morris Minor on September 26, 2008, 08:43:28 AM
I'm going to buy a tube radio so we can huddle round it and, by the light of a single candle, listen to President Obama's fireside chats.

giant_mtb

Quote from: hounddog on July 10, 2007, 09:58:55 PM

He said there was a sign on the sign of the road that said the water height was .6 M, when it was actually 1.2 M...how was he supposed to know until it was too late? 

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 11, 2007, 05:26:37 PM
He said there was a sign on the sign of the road that said the water height was .6 M, when it was actually 1.2 M...how was he supposed to know until it was too late??

When I used to be semi-active in a 4 wheeler club (Michigan Mudhogs), the general practice was to actually walk the crossing to check the depth first- in faster moving water we would tie the guy off.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Panama_Chopster

Been in a similar situation. We were going to the supermarket in the Terrano and we see that the drains have clogged, as before we thought it'd be slightly deep (say up to the running boards), when we notice the water was up to the bottom of the windows... :confused:...gladly we made it thru though we didn't have a snorkel, also it helps it was a quite short drive thru the water.

Tave

Quote from: Panama_Chopster on July 12, 2007, 04:30:05 AM
Been in a similar situation. We were going to the supermarket in the Terrano and we see that the drains have clogged, as before we thought it'd be slightly deep (say up to the running boards), when we notice the water was up to the bottom of the windows... :confused:...gladly we made it thru though we didn't have a snorkel, also it helps it was a quite short drive thru the water.

Sometimes you can build up enough speed that the car's wake lowers the water level immediately surrounding the car enough to get by.

I had to do that in monsoon season in AZ. The Aveo made it through fine, but my roomate's Sebring didn't: he took his foot off the go-pedal.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

93JC

Quote from: Tave on July 12, 2007, 03:52:25 PM
Sometimes you can build up enough speed that the car's wake lowers the water level immediately surrounding the car enough to get by.

I had to do that in monsoon season in AZ. The Aveo made it through fine, but my roomate's Sebring didn't: he took his foot off the go-pedal.

:confused:

In my mind going fast is one of the worst things you could do, giving water an opportunity to squeeze into nooks and crannies it wouldn't have if you took it very slow.

I mean, I guess if you have no choice and you know your ignition system will be submerged if you go slow, by all means give it a try. But if you're in a properly prepped truck going fast is just about the last thing you should do...

SVT666

Quote from: 93JC on July 12, 2007, 04:13:25 PM
But if you're in a properly prepped truck going fast is just about the last thing you should do...
Exactly right.

Tave

In my mind going fast is one of the worst things you could do, giving water an opportunity to squeeze into nooks and crannies it wouldn't have if you took it very slow.

I mean, I guess if you have no choice and you know your ignition system will be submerged if you go slow, by all means give it a try. But if you're in a properly prepped truck going fast is just about the last thing you should do...

Yeah, I meant in a pinch. I took my 4runner across some shit but never got too crazy.

It was in the Aveo that I had no choice; damn those PHX streets aren't designed to move much water.

heelntoe

in normal cars, if you go slow or keep the revs low, the water can enter through the exhaust and hydrolock the piston.
@heelntoe

TheIntrepid

It's monsoon season here, and the area I'm in (Santacruz East) tends to flood. I'm royally fucked if it floods that badly.

Panama_Chopster

Get yourself an old Hilux or Land Cruiser. Those are the vehicles I mostly see on the news when the bad flooding season comes over here.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: heelntoe on July 13, 2007, 12:37:56 AM
in normal cars, if you go slow or keep the revs low, the water can enter through the exhaust and hydrolock the piston.

No, just keeping the motor running provides more than enough pressure to keep the water out.

Tailpipe snorkels are pretty much useless unless you stall.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

I kept hearing that you don't want to go too fast because you don't want to overtake your bow wave... or something like that.

the Teuton

I've had some experience with my friend.

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

heelntoe

i remember something similar. did you post about this on C&D?
@heelntoe

Rupert

Took, like, three days to get out, right?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Secret Chimp

Took like three weeks for you to find this thread :P

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

omicron

That month, the whole country got a drowning. It was thought that the drought had broken - it hadn't.