Big ass 21 inch wheels on GTR.

Started by 565, July 14, 2007, 06:50:55 AM

giant_mtb

We'll see, I guess.  :huh:  I'm sure they wouldn't be stupid enough to put wheels on it that are too big or too heavy. :mask:

JYODER240

Those must be some huge rotors to fill 21" wheels. and yes i do think that they are too big.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

SVT666

I don't think they're too big if they weigh less then a standard 18" wheel that goes on most cars nowadays.

deesea

I think its one of those things that we have to wait and see about....the thought of the GTR with 21's is just wrong IMO, mayb 20's or 19's at most....
So I'm Gonna start a revolution from my bed - Noel Gallagher

JYODER240

Quote from: HEMI666 on July 14, 2007, 09:19:29 AM
I don't think they're too big if they weigh less then a standard 18" wheel that goes on most cars nowadays.

Even if they weigh less the weight is still further away from the hub. Remember, how we tried to explain that to kayani.

S204STi

I imagine they are as much for aesthetics as to clear those huge brakes.  I imagine they aren't light, either, unless they're magnesium, and that is pretty exotic even for a $50-70k car.

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

footoflead

Only 21 in  :rolleyes: your behind the times...all the ganstas are past 21's

yes i think they are too big..but i would need a full side shot to be able to say for sure
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

LonghornTX

Quote from: R-inge on July 14, 2007, 11:18:22 AM
I imagine they are as much for aesthetics as to clear those huge brakes.  I imagine they aren't light, either, unless they're magnesium, and that is pretty exotic even for a $50-70k car.
X2.

If you look at the picture 565 posted, they could easily scale those wheels down at least an inch.  This is simply for aesthetics IMO.  The same will happen for the new Camaro when it comes out.....
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

deesea

Quote from: LonghornTX on July 14, 2007, 12:24:28 PM
X2.

If you look at the picture 565 posted, they could easily scale those wheels down at least an inch. This is simply for aesthetics IMO. The same will happen for the new Camaro when it comes out.....

It doesnt seem very "nissan" to put big ass 21 inches on the GTR unless they had to...but you have a point....in the pictures they could have easily cleared an inch. Although...maybe this is just something thats with the prototype? for testing purposes? though it doesnt seem likely...
So I'm Gonna start a revolution from my bed - Noel Gallagher

280Z Turbo

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 14, 2007, 06:58:10 AM
We'll see, I guess. :huh: I'm sure they wouldn't be stupid enough to put wheels on it that are too big or too heavy. :mask:

I think they would.

Anything to give it more street cred, yo. I guess they figure it will have so much hp that they can afford to throw some of it away with heavy wheels.

What ever happened to Nissan's 13 lb 280ZX wheels? :(

1 BAD 7

Those are just too big and now GTR will handle like crap due to all that mass being too far from the hub of the wheel. I think Nissan engineers messed up big time  :nono:.... they should have tried to fit a 17 incher wheel to GTR if they cared for real performance and if they really cared even more they would have stuck to 16 or 15 incher. After all  the obvious benefits of mass being too far from the hub is such a huge disadvantage that any other benefit would be over looked without a doubt.

Oh and only if you are a gangsta you would wanna go with anything higher then 19" a normal person is not known to do that.

For great deals on all your traveling/entertainment and automotive [Nissan, Chrysler, Dodge] buying needs visit.

www.KayaniTravel.com

S204STi

There's a balance, Kayani.  To a certain extent these huge wheel/tire combos contribute to a high handling limit, but mostly these are for looks.  And yes, the further a piece of unsprung weight is from the spring the more Nissan engineers have to design around it, but by no means will it handle like a pile just because of the 21in wheels.   Keep in mind that the compromise of huge brakes is huge wheels, to some extent.  And low-profile tires break away more suddenly, and ride rougher.  But they also have little flex, so engineers have more control over body and suspension motions.  It's a balancing act.

Here are the side profile shots from Goodwood (where these wheel pics were taken), for comparison.  It seems that the wheel pictured here is the rear wheel with the smaller rear brakes, the front brakes seem to be larger.

I have to say they don't look that huge on the car.  I think anything smaller would have been dwarfed by the enormous haunches of the car.

JYODER240

They don't look like 21" wheels on that car.

sportyaccordy

Those don't look like 21s on the car. This thing is gonna be huge, I can't wait :rolleyes:

If the G37 weighs 3700#, I'm honestly frightened to find out what this thing will weigh. 4000#? 4500#? You'd be better off with an M5 estate. :huh:

SVT666

Nissan is spending more time at the Ring then any monufacturer I have ever seen, so they are extremely concerned about handling.  If the car handles with the world's best and is wearing 21s, then what's the problem?  People said it was insane to use 18s when the first production cars came out with them, but 18s are the standard now.  It's funny that a bunch of car fanatics think they know more then Nissan's engineers. :rolleyes: 

heelntoe

hey what do i know, my car still rides on 13" steel wheels. :huh:
@heelntoe

GoCougs

Quote from: HEMI666 on July 15, 2007, 11:23:29 AM
Nissan is spending more time at the Ring then any monufacturer I have ever seen, so they are extremely concerned about handling.? If the car handles with the world's best and is wearing 21s, then what's the problem?? People said it was insane to use 18s when the first production cars came out with them, but 18s are the standard now.? It's funny that a bunch of car fanatics think they know more then Nissan's engineers. :rolleyes:?

Extremely true.

Catman

Nissan is spending more time at the Ring then any monufacturer I have ever seen, so they are extremely concerned about handling.  If the car handles with the world's best and is wearing 21s, then what's the problem?  People said it was insane to use 18s when the first production cars came out with them, but 18s are the standard now.  It's funny that a bunch of car fanatics think they know more then Nissan's engineers. :rolleyes: 

LOL.  I think the bigger brakes and better handling outweigh the weight penalty in this case. 

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Catman on July 15, 2007, 12:52:58 PM
LOL.? I think the bigger brakes and better handling outweigh the weight penalty in this case.?
Rite,the bigger the wheel the more brake they can stuff in there.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

SJ_GTI

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on July 15, 2007, 01:12:04 PM
Rite,the bigger the wheel the more brake they can stuff in there.

From the looks, they've got a good 3 inches of clearance there.

Personally I think the wheels look good on the car. and that was probably their goal. Sure they want to have a car that can beat a 911 Turbo around the track, but its gotta look good too. I don't think they are trying to compete with Lotus for pure track cred.

Raghavan

i think 19's or 20's would've looked good too.

JYODER240

Nissan is spending more time at the Ring then any monufacturer I have ever seen, so they are extremely concerned about handling.? If the car handles with the world's best and is wearing 21s, then what's the problem?? People said it was insane to use 18s when the first production cars came out with them, but 18s are the standard now.? It's funny that a bunch of car fanatics think they know more then Nissan's engineers. :rolleyes:?

If 21s were a better fit for performance than 18s race cars would all be trying to fit the biggest wheels possible. There's no denying that larger wheels are worse for performance because thay both weigh more and the weight is farther away from the hub. I'd be willing to bet Nissans engineers don't have large wheels on there for performance reasons they have them on there for aesthetic reasons. Large wheels are a selling point for most customers.

Panama_Chopster

Kinda like the wheels on the first 350Zs, plain and cheap compared to the ones fitted on Yoder's. Those wheels made me like the 350Z

r0tor

maybe spinners will be an option  :mask:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

sportyaccordy

Quote from: r0tor on July 15, 2007, 04:41:26 PM
maybe spinners will be an option  :mask:

LOL.

Rather than make huge wheels and brakes to accomodate the car's girth, they should have looked to make the whole car smaller :huh:

Speculations on the size of this thing inspired me to use the side profile shots and match them against some side profile shots I have of my car, and scaled them so that the scales matched the 21 inch vs 18 inch (rear) wheels on the Z06.  It seems this GTR is going to be a few inches shorter than my Z06 and a few inches taller.  More or less the dimensions of a Porsche 911.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: 565 on July 15, 2007, 06:43:13 PM
Speculations on the size of this thing inspired me to use the side profile shots and match them against some side profile shots I have of my car, and scaled them so that the scales matched the 21 inch vs 18 inch (rear) wheels on the Z06.  It seems this GTR is going to be a few inches shorter than my Z06 and a few inches taller.  More or less the dimensions of a Porsche 911.

I would be more than surprised if this wound up being shorter than your 'Vette, considering the front overhang and the back seat.