Big ass 21 inch wheels on GTR.

Started by 565, July 14, 2007, 06:50:55 AM

Champ

Quote from: M_power on July 27, 2007, 02:33:03 PM
That's probably a scary moment
Wasn't too bad, it was the first run and I was mostly seeing how well my brakes would work at 100+.  Turns out pretty well :ohyeah:
I let up right away.

JYODER240

Quote from: 1 BAD 7 on July 27, 2007, 11:58:33 AM
Like any performance gain it is give and take situation. I agree with Chris V though that if you choose the right tire they can be lighter then the smaller tires based on the construction elements. In which case the rotational mass on the outside evens out as the overall diameter of wheel + tire stays the same regardless of wheel size being 19 or 21. I found lighter 22" tires compared to my stock 19" tires when I did the upgrade.

Also the smaller side wall allows for better lateral acceleration, overall grip and steering feel and they far greater threshhold of breaking comapred to smaller tires even if some claim that the break off is not as progressive.

Last but not least? the overall, weight of the wheel + tire is taken into account as the whole package and not independent of one another and the overall diameter of? wheel + tires is what matters not just the wheel itself. Even though few people pretend that only the wheel matters and as if the tire doesnot exist. Bottom line is the ability to reduced unsprung mass and greater contact patch for enhanced grip and lateral acceleration as well as the ability to fit huge brakes is a great advantage. On the other hand it has few negatives just like you have with any performance enhancing upgrade. There is no win win situation in anything there are postives and negatives of everything.

I think cars look hot with bigger wheels vs dinky little wheels and those huge brakes behind the wheels show that it is not all show and no go upgrade. In this pic below the guy has 22" and barely has clearance for those monster brakes.

That's it i'm putting 22" wheels on my car for autocross.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: JYODER240 on July 27, 2007, 04:57:19 PM

Good idea!  :rockon:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Tave

Quote from: JYODER240 on July 27, 2007, 04:57:19 PM

It's all fun-and-games until Kayani rolls out to Ohio with a 22" tire iron :devil:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Tave on July 27, 2007, 05:37:33 PM
It's all fun-and-games until Kayani rolls out to Ohio with a 22" tire iron :devil:
Won't be a pretty sight. And he'll be extra pissed because it took forever in his 525i (Which is slower than a 4 cylinder Accord)

deesea

don't ty offer like 33's now? i swear i saw a stand selling 33's at this years CIAS
So I'm Gonna start a revolution from my bed - Noel Gallagher

SVT_Power

Quote from: deesea on July 27, 2007, 10:19:15 PM
don't ty offer like 33's now? i swear i saw a stand selling 33's at this years CIAS

40" n00b
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: M_power on July 27, 2007, 10:21:16 PM

40" n00b

that really hurts my eyes. i'm going to bed now, after i throw up a little bit

SVT_Power

Quote from: NACar on July 27, 2007, 10:24:31 PM
that really hurts my eyes. i'm going to bed now, after i throw up a little bit

bulimic there?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: deesea on July 27, 2007, 10:19:15 PM
Asanti has a "34 wheel for $28,000 per set,without tires.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Soup DeVille

So am I missing something by wanting to put eith 15s or 17s on my Caddy?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

JYODER240

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 27, 2007, 11:08:57 PM
So am I missing something by wanting to put eith 15s or 17s on my Caddy?

:rolleyes:

didn't you read Kayanis post??

Soup DeVille

Quote from: JYODER240 on July 27, 2007, 11:10:13 PM
:rolleyes:

didn't you read Kayanis post??

I did, but I don't speak moron so it was all lost on me.  :huh:
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

JYODER240

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 27, 2007, 11:12:40 PM
I did, but I don't speak moron so it was all lost on me.? :huh:

apparantly large flashy wheels can now defy the laws of physics and are actually better for performance

SVT_Power

Quote from: JYODER240 on July 27, 2007, 11:14:17 PM

apparantly large flashy wheels can now defy the laws of physics and are actually better for performance

j00 d0n't believe him dude?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: JYODER240 on July 27, 2007, 11:14:17 PM

Oh, but all I'm really worried about is whether or not it'll look stupid. I realize my gangsta factor drops to zero running anything smaller than 20s, but will normal people mock me too?

1 BAD 7

It is amazing that some one would question why people would do that Hemi. 

Maybe he has never heard of luxury sports sedans like MB S65 AMG or Alpina B7 or Audi S8 or M5 or E55 AMG or Audi RS6 etc.  :praise:

Quote from: HEMI666 on July 27, 2007, 01:04:01 PM
People can want a bigger car AND performance you know.? It's really nothing unusual.

For great deals on all your traveling/entertainment and automotive [Nissan, Chrysler, Dodge] buying needs visit.

www.KayaniTravel.com

1 BAD 7

I think you and the retard group that trys to twist everything arround would be better off with 12" wheels. Man your 350z fitted with smaller brake pads and 12" tires in 165/75 series tires would tear up the track like nothing else on this world....:rolleyes:......

For great deals on all your traveling/entertainment and automotive [Nissan, Chrysler, Dodge] buying needs visit.

www.KayaniTravel.com

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 1 BAD 7 on July 27, 2007, 11:24:00 PM
I think you and the retard group that trys to twist everything arround would be better off with 12" wheels. Man your 350z fitted with smaller brake pads and 12" tires in 165/75 series tires would tear up the track like nothing else on this world....:rolleyes:......

Or maybe you could explain the connection between wheel diameter and contact patch?

SVT_Power

and kayani makes his grand entrance

1 BAD 7

That 7er looks hot ChrisV and the wheel design looks very nice too.  :praise:

I agree 100% if we wanted a 3er we would have got it. We like that 7er is a sporty flagship sedan and very capable car in its class and the larger diameter wheels look good on the car because they go with large proportions of the car. :rockon:

However, the loser club will force their opinion down other peoples throats weather we wanted it or not. :rolleyes:

Quote from: ChrisV on July 27, 2007, 12:28:03 PM
Good thing he doesn't live in MN, then, eh? I've never had a problem with it, but then I don't just blithely drive through potholes.

I didn't WANT a 3 series, I wanted a 7 series, and I plan on putting large diameter wheels on it. I think they look hot with 19-20 inch wheels, as they are large cars with the proportions to get away with it.

Any SLIGHT difference in weight will be unnoticed as I'm not tracking the car, but the increase in braking power from the wider, stickier tires will be.

I'd love to put these on it:

www.KayaniTravel.com

Danish

Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 1 BAD 7 on July 27, 2007, 11:31:24 PM
That 7er looks hot ChrisV and the wheel design looks very nice too.? :praise:

I agree 100% if we wanted a 3er we would have got it. We like that 7er is a sporty flagship sedan and very capable car in its class and the larger diameter wheels look good on the car because they go with large proportions of the car. :rockon:

However, the loser club will force their opinion down other peoples throats weather we wanted it or not. :rolleyes:

You think they look good? That's great! You like big wheels, I like big butts. No worries there.

Just don't try and make bullshit engineering claims when you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

Eye of the Tiger

nickdrinkwater

SVT666

So what is the limit for performance wheels?  I've seen 16s up to 20s come stock onc ars from the Mini to a Viper and Murcielago.  When is a wheel too big?  I don't think I know.  I do know that I don't like the look of anything bigger then a 20" wheel on cars like the 300C.  I want someone to prove to me that it's bad for performance.  Saying that rubber band tires aren't good for performance doesn't cut it either considering the number of cars like the Porsche 911 that come with extremely low profile tires.  I honestly don't know, but I would like someone to prove it.  When you buy a 20" wheel/tire combo that weigh less then a 18" wheel/tire combo, then how exactly is that bad for performance?  And don't say "the weight is further from the hub", because my co-worker has a 19" combo that weighs 14 lbs for wheel/tire less then the stock 18".

Soup DeVille

Quote from: HEMI666 on July 28, 2007, 07:50:56 AM
So what is the limit for performance wheels?? I've seen 16s up to 20s come stock onc ars from the Mini to a Viper and Murcielago.? When is a wheel too big?? I don't think I know.? I do know that I don't like the look of anything bigger then a 20" wheel on cars like the 300C.? I want someone to prove to me that it's bad for performance.? Saying that rubber band tires aren't good for performance doesn't cut it either considering the number of cars like the Porsche 911 that come with extremely low profile tires.? I honestly don't know, but I would like someone to prove it.? When you buy a 20" wheel/tire combo that weigh less then a 18" wheel/tire combo, then how exactly is that bad for performance?? And don't say "the weight is further from the hub", because my co-worker has a 19" combo that weighs 14 lbs for wheel/tire less then the stock 18".

Obviously,there's no hard limit and these things are always a combination of factors. Basically though, unsprung weight and rotational inertia is bad. Brakes with greater thermal capacity are good, and sometimes that means needing a larger wheel to clear them (although on a street car any advantage there is of questionable usefulness). When you get to tires though, that is such a widely argued point that its impossible  to make any clear-cut case for wheel diameter either way.

But the fact is that 99% of people who go to a big wheel aftermarket setup are doing it for looks almost exclusively. I have no problem at all with that; you canmake your car look however you like it, and more power to you. Just don't fabricate reasons that you don't understand.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 28, 2007, 12:19:04 PM
Obviously,there's no hard limit and these things are always a combination of factors. Basically though, unsprung weight and rotational inertia is bad. Brakes with greater thermal capacity are good, and sometimes that means needing a larger wheel to clear them (although on a street car any advantage there is of questionable usefulness). When you get to tires though, that is such a widely argued point that its impossible  to make any clear-cut case for wheel diameter either way.

But the fact is that 99% of people who go to a big wheel aftermarket setup are doing it for looks almost exclusively. I have no problem at all with that; you canmake your car look however you like it, and more power to you. Just don't fabricate reasons that you don't understand.

Yep

To add to that, wheel WEIGHT is not the determining factor of how 'light' a wheel is, the wheel's ROTATIONAL INERTIA is... if you have 18s and 20s with the same rolling diameter and regular mass, I don't care what you tell me, the 20s will accelerate and brake slower than the 18s.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: sportyaccordy on July 28, 2007, 12:33:09 PM
Yep

To add to that, wheel WEIGHT is not the determining factor of how 'light' a wheel is, the wheel's ROTATIONAL INERTIA is... if you have 18s and 20s with the same rolling diameter and regular mass, I don't care what you tell me, the 20s will accelerate and brake slower than the 18s.

Well, unsprung mass is still an important part of handling considerations, and that is simply weight and it doesn't matter what size the wheels are. You are of course right about the effect rotational inertia will have.

SVT_Power

maybe kayani should go outside and do some tests with his big rims and his stock wheels if he kept 'em