Big ass 21 inch wheels on GTR.

Started by 565, July 14, 2007, 06:50:55 AM

JYODER240

Quote from: Panama_Chopster on July 15, 2007, 04:22:02 PM
Kinda like the wheels on the first 350Zs, plain and cheap compared to the ones fitted on Yoder's. Those wheels made me like the 350Z

Thanks man :ohyeah:
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

the Teuton

Quote from: JYODER240 on July 15, 2007, 02:13:04 PM
If 21s were a better fit for performance than 18s race cars would all be trying to fit the biggest wheels possible. There's no denying that larger wheels are worse for performance because thay both weigh more and the weight is farther away from the hub. I'd be willing to bet Nissans engineers don't have large wheels on there for performance reasons they have them on there for aesthetic reasons. Large wheels are a selling point for most customers.

In denfense, most race cars have limits on the size of wheel they are allowed to have.  It isn't by choice that they have little wheels.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

JYODER240

Quote from: the Teuton on July 15, 2007, 10:53:43 PM
In denfense, most race cars have limits on the size of wheel they are allowed to have.? It isn't by choice that they have little wheels.

Still, my point stands that they wouldn't run 21" wheels. They would run the smallest wheel possible that clear the brakes and have tires that provide enough sidewall stiffness.

the Teuton

Quote from: JYODER240 on July 15, 2007, 10:56:13 PM
Still, my point stands that they wouldn't run 21" wheels. They would run the smallest wheel possible that clear the brakes and have tires that provide enough sidewall stiffness.

WRC runs 15" wheels
F1 uses 13s, IIRC
CART uses 12ish
ALMS usually uses 16-18 depending on class

No one would use a 21" wheel, but to make a 21" wheel that would be light enough yet still durable for racing, it would completely be too expensive to run.  I think it can be done with magnesium, carbon fiber, etc., but to say it's not reasonable for physics rather than economics would be off.  I think you could make a 21" wheel handle better with such a stiff sidewall, but I don't think the benefits outweigh the costs.  At some point, either cars will have 8 pot brakes, or someone will have a rotor that necessitates a wheel that large. 

I agree that it's more for bling than functionality, but I think there will come a day when a 21" wheel finds its way to a lot of sports cars. 

On a side note, anyone else remember that Nissan was planning on introducing its $70k version of the car first and then trickling down until the $50k model comes out?  I don't think these wheels will be on most versions.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

JYODER240

A stiffer sidewall doesn't neccasarily mean better handling either. They break away with less warning and are often more difficult to control.

Quote from: sportyaccordy on July 15, 2007, 08:05:09 PM
I would be more than surprised if this wound up being shorter than your 'Vette, considering the front overhang and the back seat.

The quality of the pictures suck, but I tried to scale the wheel sizes as best I could, 21 inches to 18.

Despite the GTR's huge looking rims, the car itself is a touch more compact than the Z06.

ChrisV

While the WHEEL weight is slightly higher at the outside edge, the TIRE weight is lower than it would be at the same width, due to even shorter sidewalls. Thus the weight situation is a virtual wash. I'm pretty sure that Nissan engineers know this.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

S204STi

r0tor

Quote from: ChrisV on July 16, 2007, 06:33:46 AM
While the WHEEL weight is slightly higher at the outside edge, the TIRE weight is lower than it would be at the same width, due to even shorter sidewalls. Thus the weight situation is a virtual wash. I'm pretty sure that Nissan engineers know this.

and a 305/35R18 will weigh much less then a 305/35R21....

edit... make that weight ~17% less and have 72% less rotational inertia  :partyon:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

deesea

Quote from: 565 on July 16, 2007, 03:23:05 AM
The quality of the pictures suck, but I tried to scale the wheel sizes as best I could, 21 inches to 18.

Despite the GTR's huge looking rims, the car itself is a touch more compact than the Z06.

Something tells me it might be a little bit more than a "touch" smaller, theres those black covers over the front and rear of the car..though they are pretty thin, they probably do make a big difference when removed...though the GTR seems higher....
So I'm Gonna start a revolution from my bed - Noel Gallagher

MexicoCityM3

All I know is that I want to test this car when it comes out. The wheels seem overkill to me in such a focused car for the performance reasons many of you already stated. But we'll see.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

S204STi

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on July 16, 2007, 06:22:14 PM
All I know is that I want to test this car when it comes out. The wheels seem overkill to me in such a focused car for the performance reasons many of you already stated. But we'll see.

Again, it's a balancing act.  There are compromises involved to meeting the goals of the chassis engineers, the stylists, etc.  I'm sure it will be an incredible car.

1 BAD 7

Like any performance gain it is give and take situation. I agree with Chris V though that if you choose the right tire they can be lighter then the smaller tires based on the construction elements. In which case the rotational mass on the outside evens out as the overall diameter of wheel + tire stays the same regardless of wheel size being 19 or 21. I found lighter 22" tires compared to my stock 19" tires when I did the upgrade.

Also the smaller side wall allows for better lateral acceleration, overall grip and steering feel and they far greater threshhold of breaking comapred to smaller tires even if some claim that the break off is not as progressive.

Last but not least  the overall, weight of the wheel + tire is taken into account as the whole package and not independent of one another and the overall diameter of  wheel + tires is what matters not just the wheel itself. Even though few people pretend that only the wheel matters and as if the tire doesnot exist. Bottom line is the ability to reduced unsprung mass and greater contact patch for enhanced grip and lateral acceleration as well as the ability to fit huge brakes is a great advantage. On the other hand it has few negatives just like you have with any performance enhancing upgrade. There is no win win situation in anything there are postives and negatives of everything.

I think cars look hot with bigger wheels vs dinky little wheels and those huge brakes behind the wheels show that it is not all show and no go upgrade. In this pic below the guy has 22" and barely has clearance for those monster brakes.

For great deals on all your traveling/entertainment and automotive [Nissan, Chrysler, Dodge] buying needs visit.

www.KayaniTravel.com

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 1 BAD 7 on July 27, 2007, 11:58:33 AM

I think cars look hot with bigger wheels vs dinky little wheels

Kayani, you might want to change your pants after looking at this:

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raghavan

What do you mean barely? He could probably go down to 20's or maybe even 19's.
And why do you put brakes that big on a 7 series?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raghavan on July 27, 2007, 12:02:03 PM
What do you mean barely? He could probably go down to 20's or maybe even 19's.
And why do you put brakes that big on a 7 series?

Despite Kayani's vast automotive wisdom, the brakes are probably mostly for SHOW as well. Good pads on the stock brakes may stop just as good, or even better than these huge things. They only thing they will do is keep the brakes cool if your daily commute includes a few laps around a race track, and possibly improve pedal feel and modulation, but that is subjective. And if you use racing pads on the street, you're screwed if you need to stop fast and the brakes aren't warmed up yet. And with the hundreds of holes drilled into that rotor, don't expect it, or the pads to as long as usual.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Champ

Those kinda wheels wouldn't fly in MN!  New rim every other week.

I still don't understand the point of getting a luxury cruiser then putting punishing wheels on it.  Blah Blah Blah get a 3 series.

I see this a lot on the large cadilacs around here.  The ones I parked like that don't absorb the little bumps nearly as well as the stock ones do.

ChrisV

Quote from: Champ on July 27, 2007, 12:16:59 PM
Those kinda wheels wouldn't fly in MN!  New rim every other week.

Good thing he doesn't live in MN, then, eh? I've never had a problem with it, but then I don't just blithely drive through potholes.

QuoteI still don't understand the point of getting a luxury cruiser then putting punishing wheels on it.  Blah Blah Blah get a 3 series.

I didn't WANT a 3 series, I wanted a 7 series, and I plan on putting large diameter wheels on it. I think they look hot with 19-20 inch wheels, as they are large cars with the proportions to get away with it.

Any SLIGHT difference in weight will be unnoticed as I'm not tracking the car, but the increase in braking power from the wider, stickier tires will be.

I'd love to put these on it:

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

SVT_Power

Quote from: 1 BAD 7 on July 27, 2007, 11:58:33 AM
I think cars look hot with bigger wheels vs dinky little wheels and those huge brakes behind the wheels show that it is not all show and no go upgrade. In this pic below the guy has 22" and barely has clearance for those monster brakes.

except if memory serves right, braking force is limited by tire traction rather than rotor clamping force
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Champ

Quote from: ChrisV on July 27, 2007, 12:28:03 PM
Good thing he doesn't live in MN, then, eh? I've never had a problem with it, but then I don't just blithely drive through potholes.
I know, you can tell by the palm trees :)

It's hard to miss potholes here (especially in the spring months), because when you swerve for one you end up hitting another.  My mom last spring moved from one, and hit another one that ended up bending both passenger side rims on her S60R ($700 a piece - ouch!) and her rear wheel bearing.

I mean to say - why buy the luxury 7 series if you are going to put tires that don't absorb bumps on?  Seems counter intuitive.  But then again, I suppose they make performance SUV's too.  And they race semi's somewhere on the world also.  Weirder things have happend I suppose.

Champ

Quote from: M_power on July 27, 2007, 12:48:29 PM
except if memory serves right, braking force is limited by tire traction rather than rotor clamping force
I'll agree with that, I was able to lock up my tires going 104 at the top speed run.  Granted I don't have a 2ton super car.

SVT_Power

Quote from: Champ on July 27, 2007, 12:48:40 PM
I mean to say - why buy the luxury 7 series if you are going to put tires that don't absorb bumps on?  Seems counter intuitive.  But then again, I suppose they make performance SUV's too.  And they race semi's somewhere on the world also.  Weirder things have happend I suppose.

Those are f-ing cool dude!   :rockon:

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Champ

Quote from: M_power on July 27, 2007, 12:50:51 PM
Those are f-ing cool dude! :rockon:

Ya I know lol, I saw them on ESPN or some other network one day while surfin channels!

SVT_Power

Quote from: Champ on July 27, 2007, 12:52:00 PM
Ya I know lol, I saw them on ESPN or some other network one day while surfin channels!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XJemif6bSCQ

fifth gear truck racing episode!

red_shift

Quote from: ChrisV on July 27, 2007, 12:28:03 PM

I didn't WANT a 3 series, I wanted a 7 series, and I plan on putting large diameter wheels on it. I think they look hot with 19-20 inch wheels, as they are large cars with the proportions to get away with it.

Any SLIGHT difference in weight will be unnoticed as I'm not tracking the car, but the increase in braking power from the wider, stickier tires will be.

I'd love to put these on it:

I noticed the newer 7 series sharkfin. You have satellite radio as well? Overall, your car looks VERY nice.  :ohyeah:
Future is electric

2018 Light Blue wrapped Tesla Model 3
2013 Dark blue Tesla Model S

All electric, no compromises!

heelntoe

@heelntoe

SVT666

Quote from: Champ on July 27, 2007, 12:48:40 PM
I know, you can tell by the palm trees :)

It's hard to miss potholes here (especially in the spring months), because when you swerve for one you end up hitting another.? My mom last spring moved from one, and hit another one that ended up bending both passenger side rims on her S60R ($700 a piece - ouch!) and her rear wheel bearing.

I mean to say - why buy the luxury 7 series if you are going to put tires that don't absorb bumps on?? Seems counter intuitive.? But then again, I suppose they make performance SUV's too.? And they race semi's somewhere on the world also.? Weirder things have happend I suppose.
People can want a bigger car AND performance you know.  It's really nothing unusual.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: NACar on July 27, 2007, 12:09:58 PM
Despite Kayani's vast automotive wisdom, the brakes are probably mostly for SHOW as well. Good pads on the stock brakes may stop just as good, or even better than these huge things. They only thing they will do is keep the brakes cool if your daily commute includes a few laps around a race track, and possibly improve pedal feel and modulation, but that is subjective. And if you use racing pads on the street, you're screwed if you need to stop fast and the brakes aren't warmed up yet. And with the hundreds of holes drilled into that rotor, don't expect it, or the pads to as long as usual.

Yea I read something about slotted/drilled rotors... I forget why they said fast cars have them, but it wasn't for cooling purposes.

And while I agree that brakes aren't the ultimate factor in how fast you stop (weight balance and tire grip are IMO) a good set of brakes that stays cool definitely helps

Quote from: sportyaccordy on July 27, 2007, 01:18:23 PM
Yea I read something about slotted/drilled rotors... I forget why they said fast cars have them, but it wasn't for cooling purposes.

And while I agree that brakes aren't the ultimate factor in how fast you stop (weight balance and tire grip are IMO) a good set of brakes that stays cool definitely helps

Drilled rotors are for looks, maybe you can use the unsprung weight loss argument too.  Slotted rotors are supposed to help bite or clean the pads with each application, but they are mostly for looks too anyway.

If you want maximium heat disappation, you want big, thick, undrilled, unslotted rotors.

SVT_Power

Quote from: Champ on July 27, 2007, 12:50:41 PM
I'll agree with that, I was able to lock up my tires going 104 at the top speed run.  Granted I don't have a 2ton super car.

That's probably a scary moment