Possibly an alignment problem?

Started by AKL, July 14, 2007, 12:05:49 PM

AKL

After my tires were replaced, I decided to get a 4 wheel alignment.

But right after it was done, I noticed it felt kind of off.
I'm always having to hold my steering wheel to the left now. It's NEVER centered even on a straight leveled road.
I was told it was just because of road imperfections. But I found it quite odd that every road I drove on, I had to keep the steering in the position below.

Is this a problem?

I decided just to ask the guy if it was a problem. He got all defensive and shit. Really not a good ending to a long stressful week at work.

Anyways, would love for you guys to help me out here.

My exact placement of the steering wheel. When driving down a straight road, or just simply staying straight on any road. To lane change now, I actually put the wheel to the center.

Thanks.
---------------------
05 Accord EX V6/  07 Santa Fe 3.3 GL
---------------------

JYODER240

yeah, thats a improper alignment. Go back and make them fix it.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

S204STi

FUBAR alignment...it happens, I've had to redo some myself.

AKL

Oh, and here comes the second story.

Well I went back once. He said nothing was wrong come back in a week when you get use to the tires.
Sure I would, he's not that far.

BUT TODAY I went, and he got all fucking defensive and shit. I GOT SO FUCKING PISSED OFF.  And suddenly I see my car reverse out from the garage. Someone told me he was going for a "road test". Right. The minute he reversed I knew he didn't know how to fucking drive. He put it to D WAYYYYYYY before the car even stopped. That alone spelled "impatience" and a lack of care for a car. Then he floored my car, braked hard. As if he was showing me that he was going to fuck up my car. Then he comes back and explains to me that "oh there's nothing wrong. You just don't know shit".

Wow, I've trusted Green and Ross.
But I don't think I am ever going to go there again.

I guess it's another trip there. 
---------------------
---------------------

S204STi

If he really said that to you I would go talk to the shop owner.  If he doesn't talk to you, just report them to the BBB.

Danish

Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

AKL

Quote from: R-inge on July 14, 2007, 12:56:17 PM
If he really said that to you I would go talk to the shop owner.  If he doesn't talk to you, just report them to the BBB.

I will go back and hopefully get a better experience.
---------------------
---------------------

AKL

---------------------
---------------------

The Pirate

With the wheel in that position, does the car track straight and hold a line over surfaces?  If so, probably not too much to worry about.  Though, with a nicer, newer car like yours, I'd be inclined to have it set properly.  As I understand it, sometimes they don't center the steering wheel prior to performing the alignment, so everything is in proper spec; albeit with a slightly off-center wheel.

My first two cars were like that, and my Honda was too, although it was almost imperceptible.  With the first cars, I was just happy that it had a steering wheel.  :lol:

I'd suck it up, take it somewhere else to get it fixed (I wouldn't want those assholes touching my car), and write a letter to the business owner.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

S204STi

Quote from: The Pirate on July 14, 2007, 03:16:25 PM
With the wheel in that position, does the car track straight and hold a line over surfaces?? If so, probably not too much to worry about.? Though, with a nicer, newer car like yours, I'd be inclined to have it set properly.? As I understand it, sometimes they don't center the steering wheel prior to performing the alignment, so everything is in proper spec; albeit with a slightly off-center wheel.

My first two cars were like that, and my Honda was too, although it was almost imperceptible.? With the first cars, I was just happy that it had a steering wheel.? :lol:

I'd suck it up, take it somewhere else to get it fixed (I wouldn't want those assholes touching my car), and write a letter to the business owner.

If you perform the alignment correctly the steering wheel will not be off center like that.  It's a matter of the guy being lazy when he set the toe, and not bothering to hold the steering wheel at dead center with holding fixture, and/or not bothering to check his work.

AKL

Quote from: The Pirate on July 14, 2007, 03:16:25 PM
With the wheel in that position, does the car track straight and hold a line over surfaces?  If so, probably not too much to worry about.  Though, with a nicer, newer car like yours, I'd be inclined to have it set properly.  As I understand it, sometimes they don't center the steering wheel prior to performing the alignment, so everything is in proper spec; albeit with a slightly off-center wheel.

My first two cars were like that, and my Honda was too, although it was almost imperceptible.  With the first cars, I was just happy that it had a steering wheel.  :lol:

Yeah, if I hold it in that position it does track straight. But after a while it wants to go back to center position. It's a very awkward way of driving IMO. At higher speeds it gets really annoying. When going at about 130 KM/HR, if I want to change lanes to the right. A really fast lane change to the right would be holding it in center position.

I may just suck it up to. I don't want to bother going back to the place other than to show the guy I am not impressed with the service. I think I am going to send a complaint to the head office of Active Green + Ross. And explain my problem and that I don't want those guys to touch my car either. It's still pretty new, and I don't want it coming back with any more problems.

I'm quite sure the guy was lazy.
---------------------
---------------------

The Pirate

Take it to the dealership, perhaps?  It's something I'd probably get taken care of for a new car.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

AKL

Quote from: The Pirate on July 14, 2007, 05:09:11 PM
Take it to the dealership, perhaps?  It's something I'd probably get taken care of for a new car.

I wanted to, but damn they're going to charge me. I already paid 70 for the alignment at Green and Ross or, lack of alignment.

Honda will charge me what, over 100?!

I'd prefer Active Green + Ross to give me a cheque to pay Honda for the alignment  :lol:
---------------------
---------------------

S204STi

Quote from: AKL on July 14, 2007, 06:31:14 PM
I wanted to, but damn they're going to charge me. I already paid 70 for the alignment at Green and Ross or, lack of alignment.

Honda will charge me what, over 100?!

I'd prefer Active Green + Ross to give me a cheque to pay Honda for the alignment? :lol:

I think we charge $70ish, for Honda and GM.  It won't be too bad.

AKL

Quote from: R-inge on July 14, 2007, 06:38:17 PM
I think we charge $70ish, for Honda and GM.  It won't be too bad.

Alright.

I think my cheap self must stop stepping in. I don't know what I was thinking getting it done at Green + Ross  :banghead:
---------------------
---------------------

S204STi

The thing you can keep in mind with a dealership is that by and large their customer satisfaction rating is closely monitored by the parent company (i.e. Mazda or Mitsubishi corporate) and they get hammered hard to keep up customer satisfaction.  That doesn't mean they are all just the model of good workmanship, but generally standards are high and the repercussions are deep if you choose to complain to the upper echelon.

Secret Chimp

I had the same problem (opposite direction) when I took my car to the local Tuffy place. I think it was because my left-hand tie rod was frozen and just adjusted using the right without bothering to tell me. After I did my tie rod crap I took my car to an NTB, much more professional shop and thorough job.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

JWC

At a Honda store I used to be a parts manager at, they sold "five" wheel alignments.  Really, they called it just that, a five wheel alignment.  With a five wheel alignment instead of a four wheel alignment, they straightened the steering wheel.

A proper alignment should, logically, include keeping the steering wheel "aligned".  They charged an extra $10 to do a five instead of a four wheel alignment.

Rich

Quote from: JWC on July 14, 2007, 09:52:19 PM
At a Honda store I used to be a parts manager at, they sold "five" wheel alignments.? Really, they called it just that, a five wheel alignment.? With a five wheel alignment instead of a four wheel alignment, they straightened the steering wheel.

A proper alignment should, logically, include keeping the steering wheel "aligned".? They charged an extra $10 to do a five instead of a four wheel alignment.

I've been having the same problem with the OP on my car.  I've taken it to FLOW MINI in Winston Salem for 2 alignments, but the steering wheel is still off.  The first time they charged me for the alignment and some other shit they jacked with me (trying to buff out a scratch that I obviously knew couldn't be buffed out).  The alignment was still off and the scratch was still there (when I brought it in I thought they'd fix it in their body shop), and had to write a letter to the service manager to get my money back.  The second time, I was about to take off on a road trip to Nebraska and didn't feel like holding the wheel at an angle the entire trip.  It's still off, but I had to deploy as soon as I got back to NC.

I'm thinking about taking it to Hendrick MINI in Charlotte, but if you know of an awesome alignment shop somewhere in NC, then I'm grabbing the check card and heading out the door as soon as I get back.  I thought this problem was just with the MINI suspension geometry, and had no idea it was the incompetence of the mechanics that align the car. 

Many thanks to the OP and those that have replied.  I was seriously thinking about selling/trading in the car just because it's so annoying.  But I still need to find a competant place to do the alignment :banghead:
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

JWC

Honestly, the best alignment shop I know is Kinston Wheel and Alignment in Kinston NC.  They are honest to the extreme. 

Where are you at?  Bragg?

Rich

Quote from: JWC on July 15, 2007, 12:28:40 AM
Honestly, the best alignment shop I know is Kinston Wheel and Alignment in Kinston NC.? They are honest to the extreme.?

Where are you at?? Bragg?

Pretty much... I'll be back at Pope AFB in Oct., which is on the corner of Ft Bragg.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look them up as soon as I get back and see what they can do for me

I'm so excited at the idea this steering crap will be fixed.  It will be like driving a new car again!  I can't wait to get back now
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT