New wheels for The Pirate

Started by The Pirate, July 16, 2007, 07:59:59 PM

the Teuton

Quote from: NACar on July 16, 2007, 09:35:23 PM
Pleese, do tell  :P

Well, you know I have a friend with an insane addiction to turbochargers and car builds...

Well, he's not the president of the new racing club we're starting at school.  He should be, but he isn't.  The reason:  the person who is prez was the first person to sign up so Bob Fryer (pull out your May or June Automobile Magazine and you'll see that name on the side of the original Panther Racing Javelin) selected him.  anyway, he called my friend because he's a little unknowledgeable about these sorts of things and said we should all go to BeaveRun because they had an open drift day and we need to learn how to get control of the car.

My Friend:  So what kinds of cars will be using?  My BMW isn't quite ready to do anything like that.

Prez:  We'll rent something.  I don't know...Maybe some Mazda3s.

Friend:  Rent?  Aren't they automatic?

Prez:  Yeah...But it'll help--

Friend:  And aren't they FWD?

Prez:  Yeah...

Friend:  So, you know, you go through a lot of tire when you drift... (short personal story ensues) ...what are you planning on doing for tires?

Prez:  Going to a dealer and picking up their old tires.  You know, you can get them for pretty cheap. 

Friend:  So you're planning on taking FWD auto cars out and drifting them on bald tires?

Prez:  Yeah, but--

Friend:  (Laughing ensues)

FIN
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

JYODER240

/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on July 16, 2007, 09:50:18 PM
Well, you know I have a friend with an insane addiction to turbochargers and car builds...

Well, he's not the president of the new racing club we're starting at school. He should be, but he isn't. The reason: the person who is prez was the first person to sign up so Bob Fryer (pull out your May or June Automobile Magazine and you'll see that name on the side of the original Panther Racing Javelin) selected him. anyway, he called my friend because he's a little unknowledgeable about these sorts of things and said we should all go to BeaveRun because they had an open drift day and we need to learn how to get control of the car.

My Friend: So what kinds of cars will be using? My BMW isn't quite ready to do anything like that.

Prez: We'll rent something. I don't know...Maybe some Mazda3s.

Friend: Rent? Aren't they automatic?

Prez: Yeah...But it'll help--

Friend: And aren't they FWD?

Prez: Yeah...

Friend: So, you know, you go through a lot of tire when you drift... (short personal story ensues) ...what are you planning on doing for tires?

Prez: Going to a dealer and picking up their old tires. You know, you can get them for pretty cheap.

Friend: So you're planning on taking FWD auto cars out and drifting them on bald tires?

Prez: Yeah, but--

Friend: (Laughing ensues)

FIN

silly n00bs :lol:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Rich

IMO the '01-'04 Protege is the best 4 door car, ever.

Good gas mileage, awesome interior, inexpensive, great handling, good looks, and great "chuckability."

Before I joined the Air Force, I wanted one desperately, but it wouldn't have been smart to buy a car then.  I didn't have much money and I already had a '98 model year car.

I'm very jealous
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

The Pirate

Quote from: HotRodPilot on July 16, 2007, 10:58:29 PM
IMO the '01-'04 Protege is the best 4 door car, ever.

Good gas mileage, awesome interior, inexpensive, great handling, good looks, and great "chuckability."

Before I joined the Air Force, I wanted one desperately, but it wouldn't have been smart to buy a car then.  I didn't have much money and I already had a '98 model year car.

I'm very jealous

Couldn't have said it better myself!  :lol:

Honestly, thanks for the kind words, and I certainly agree, especially on the "chuckability."  The car really does have a marvelous suspension.  I love it.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

TBR

One of the guys who works for my dad has a facelifted silver ES 5-spd, I am hoping he decides to get something bigger soon (two kids) and I can get a deal on it.

SVT_Power

just tell him if he wants to keep his job, he should just sell his car to you :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Onslaught

Quote from: M_power on July 16, 2007, 09:43:47 PM
is that the one from the mazdaspeed?
That looks like the MP3 Protege but the MS had the same one if I remember correctly. Aways looked like a dinner table on the back of the car to me. Glad they toned down on stuff like that for the other MS cars.

nickdrinkwater

Congrats man, that's a really nice ride.  It seems really similar to a 323.  Looks clean, and I'm sure it will be a very reliable option, being a Mazda.  Have fun!

ChrisV

Very nice Protege! Love the color and the wheels. I'm sure you'll have many happy years of driving in it.

As for M power and the SVT, I loved mine. Fun, rapid, and an outstanding handling car.

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Raza

Sunroof :praise:

EDIT:  Oh yeah, the rest of the car is kicking as well.  Definitely a step up from the Honda, probably.  How is it quickness, handling, and feel-wise?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

J86

SVT_Power

Quote from: Raza  on July 17, 2007, 06:00:48 AM
Sunroof :praise:

EDIT:  Oh yeah, the rest of the car is kicking as well.  Definitely a step up from the Honda, probably.  How is it quickness, handling, and feel-wise?

what's so wonderful about sunroofs?  :huh:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: M_power on July 17, 2007, 08:55:24 AM
what's so wonderful about sunroofs?? :huh:

Old bald guys can get sun tan on their heads while driving.  :huh:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT_Power

Raza

Quote from: M_power on July 17, 2007, 08:55:24 AM
what's so wonderful about sunroofs?? :huh:

Have you had a car with a sunroof?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT_Power

Quote from: Raza  on July 17, 2007, 09:13:29 AM
Have you had a car with a sunroof?

Not extensively. Just for a few days. The only good thing I noticed was how well it ventilates the car.

SVT_Power

Raza

Quote from: M_power on July 17, 2007, 09:14:19 AM
Not extensively. Just for a few days. The only good thing I noticed was how well it ventilates the car.

And you're still asking?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT_Power

Quote from: Raza  on July 17, 2007, 09:26:07 AM
And you're still asking?

...you can ventilate the car with the windows open. So the only benefit of a sunroof is its ventilation capabilities? (And i guess if you love the sun so much it's a plus)

ChrisV

Raza, it's like trying to explain teh appeal of a convertible to someone who doesn't get it. the ventilation is one part of it, yes. Then there is the view out of it on beautiful fall days, or summer nights... For those of us who love convertibles it's the best way to have a sedan, so you can have the practical aspects of a sedan with all the wind in your hair/ventilation/view of a convertible, in a more secure package. And there's an intangible feeling driving with the top open all the way... Just like I drive the Fiat with the top down as often as possible, I drive the BMW with the sunroof open as often as possible.

SVT_Power

i've driven a couple of convertibles (short test drives of the s2k and z4) and they're quite something. Especially taking a corner hard in the s2k with traffic around and the top down. I want a convertible

Raza

Quote from: M_power on July 17, 2007, 09:28:38 AM
...you can ventilate the car with the windows open. So the only benefit of a sunroof is its ventilation capabilities? (And i guess if you love the sun so much it's a plus)

It's not just the ventilation.

I've tried explaining it to people, and if you don't get it, you don't get it.  There's nothing I can do. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

heelntoe

congrats ada..er..jamal. it's awesome.
@heelntoe

heelntoe

i love sunroofs. i wouldn't want one here though, there is a huge possibility of someone spitting into your car from busses. :lol:
@heelntoe

ChrisV

Quote from: M_power on July 17, 2007, 09:36:09 AM
i've driven a couple of convertibles (short test drives of the s2k and z4) and they're quite something. Especially taking a corner hard in the s2k with traffic around and the top down. I want a convertible

Those convertibles are sports cars and their appeal goes beyond the convertible top. I was also talking about cars like my Comet that aren't sports cars, but cruisers. There is the appeal of the elements that you're no longer separated from but can be if necessary (unlike on a motorcycle, for example). The sunroof in a sedan is a small effort towards getting that feeling in a more practical car. I just came back from lunch that included driving the BMW with the windows down and the sunroof wide open. Great feeling.

Tave

Few experiences in life can top the feeling you get on a crisp evening with the stars bright in the sky and the heater barely on driving down a twisty road with the sunroof all the way open. Fucking magical.

My dad has refused to get one on any car we've ever owned because of the associated reduction in headspace. Thank God I'm a couple inches shorter and it doesn't seem to bother me.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

TBR

I like having a sunroof, but it certainly isn't a big deal. Of course, I think mine might technically be a moon roof since it is metal (?), I'd imagine a glass one that opened bigger (mine has to go over the roof) would be better.

SVT_Power

Quote from: Tave on July 17, 2007, 11:28:14 AM
Few experiences in life can top the feeling you get on a crisp evening with the stars bright in the sky and the heater barely on driving down a twisty road with the sunroof all the way open. Fucking magical.

My dad has refused to get one on any car we've ever owned because of the associated reduction in headspace. Thank God I'm a couple inches shorter and it doesn't seem to bother me.

I don't understand you people complaining about headspace  :evildude: