New wheels for The Pirate

Started by The Pirate, July 16, 2007, 07:59:59 PM

Raza

Quote from: TBR on July 17, 2007, 11:43:12 AM
I like having a sunroof, but it certainly isn't a big deal. Of course, I think mine might technically be a moon roof since it is metal (?), I'd imagine a glass one that opened bigger (mine has to go over the roof) would be better.

I believe the classification is a metal sunroof and a glass moonroof.  Logic being a moonroof can be used at night without actually opening the roof.  Our 300SD TD had a steel sunroof, and every other car I can remember has had glass, and has been called a "moonroof", which seems like a refinement/marketing gimmick based on the sunroof idea.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

CMan

Quote from: M_power on July 17, 2007, 11:53:54 AM
I don't understand you people complaining about headspace  :evildude:

Being a midget is nothing to brag about Eddie. :evildude:
Quote from: Morris Minor on September 26, 2008, 08:43:28 AM
I'm going to buy a tube radio so we can huddle round it and, by the light of a single candle, listen to President Obama's fireside chats.

SVT_Power

Quote from: CMan on July 17, 2007, 02:09:51 PM
Being a midget is nothing to brag about Eddie. :evildude:

It's called dwarfism bitch  :evildude:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT_Power

The Pirate

It's alright.  It's no Protege, but it could be worse.

:lol:
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Onslaught

I like sunroofs. My MX-3 had one and it was open all the time.
Now working on one of those GD things is a different story.

SVT_Power

i haven't tried out my sunroof yet

The Pirate

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

SVT_Power

i haven't even owned the car in sunlight yet :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: M_power on July 17, 2007, 10:18:35 PM
i haven't even owned the car in sunlight yet :lol:

what if the sun never rises again?  :mask:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT_Power

Quote from: NACar on July 17, 2007, 10:18:59 PM
what if the sun never rises again?  :mask:

is that what you're forecasting for tomorrow mr weather man?

no wonder you got fired

TheIntrepid

Nice wheels, Jamal! I'll make you a new sig when I get back in a few weeks.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Raghavan

Quote from: TheIntrepid on July 18, 2007, 12:40:13 AM
Nice wheels, Jamal! I'll make you a new sig when I get back in a few weeks.
It's not like no one else here can do it, you know. :rolleyes: :lol:

TheIntrepid

Then go right ahead and make him one. :huh:

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Raza

Quote from: ChrisV on July 17, 2007, 09:32:31 AM
Raza, it's like trying to explain teh appeal of a convertible to someone who doesn't get it. the ventilation is one part of it, yes. Then there is the view out of it on beautiful fall days, or summer nights... For those of us who love convertibles it's the best way to have a sedan, so you can have the practical aspects of a sedan with all the wind in your hair/ventilation/view of a convertible, in a more secure package. And there's an intangible feeling driving with the top open all the way... Just like I drive the Fiat with the top down as often as possible, I drive the BMW with the sunroof open as often as possible.

I just saw this post.  Exactly.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT_Power

omicron

Quote from: Raza on July 17, 2007, 12:39:08 PM
I believe the classification is a metal sunroof and a glass moonroof. Logic being a moonroof can be used at night without actually opening the roof. Our 300SD TD had a steel sunroof, and every other car I can remember has had glass, and has been called a "moonroof", which seems like a refinement/marketing gimmick based on the sunroof idea.

'Moonroof' is a term not used here, so I doubt it's a physical classification, but rather localised terminology. The Australian Mitsubishi Verada, exported to the US as a Mitsubishi Diamante, was often referred to here as having a sunroof, but called a moonroof in the US.

For example, this Mitsubishi Verada is listed as having a glass sunroof, whereas this Mitsubishi Diamante has a glass moonroof, even though they're both glass holes in the roof.

Raza

Quote from: omicron on July 18, 2007, 06:49:12 AM
'Moonroof' is a term not used here, so I doubt it's a physical classification, but rather localised terminology. The Australian Mitsubishi Verada, exported to the US as a Mitsubishi Diamante, was often referred to here as having a sunroof, but called a moonroof in the US.

For example, this Mitsubishi Verada is listed as having a glass sunroof, whereas this Mitsubishi Diamante has a glass moonroof, even though they're both glass holes in the roof.

"/marketing gimmick"

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

omicron

I know. Moonroof is such a hyped-up term. Sunroof is where it's at.

The Pirate

Quote from: Raza  on July 17, 2007, 06:00:48 AM
Sunroof :praise:

EDIT:  Oh yeah, the rest of the car is kicking as well.  Definitely a step up from the Honda, probably.  How is it quickness, handling, and feel-wise?

:praise: for the sunroof is exactly right.  I love it, and now have cursed myself to having a sunroof or convertible vehicle in my lineup at all times in the future.

Step up from the Honda is quasi-correct.  It certainly has more creature comforts, and is newer with less miles.  The Honda had better steering feedback, and a better transmission feel.

The Mazda has steering feel that is close to the Honda, but it's a lot heavier with a quicker ratio.  The Mazda tranny is a tiny bit notchy, but still very good otherwise.  The engine is 400cc larger in displacement, with a good boost in hp and torque.  It feels a bit zippier.  Magazine tests would place the Mazda a second or so ahead of a 2000 Civic DX to 60 mph.  Not earth shattering, but quicker is better, even in small doses.  I lost 300 rpm in the rev range, but the Mazda has fairly close ratios, and it's easy to keep it on boil.  As I do a fair amount of highway driving, I wish the gearing was taller overall (it revs about 3350 rpm at 70 mph), but I can't complain too much, as it'll return 34 mpg with A/C use.

The handling on this car is nothing short of spectacular, given that it's an economy car.  Mild understeer is present at times, but overall it's very neutral, and oversteer occurs relatively easily.  The ride/handling tradeoff is superb as well.  I read a review somewhere that called the Protege ES a 4 door FWD Miata, and that's very accurate IMO.  For the price, it's a great car, and an absolute blast to drive.

SVT_Power

I drove around with the sunroof open all day today. I take back what i said about i feel indifferent about having one.

SVT_Power

SVT_Power

it felt like it understeered alot today

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: M_power on July 18, 2007, 10:45:29 PM
the contour understeers

that's cuz you were trying to cut corners in the rain, n00b  :rolleyes:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT_Power

Quote from: NACar on July 18, 2007, 10:49:37 PM
that's cuz you were trying to cut corners in the rain, n00b  :rolleyes:

i waited until it dried up and then went for a quick ride with eThirteen and his TSX

Raza

Quote from: The Pirate on July 18, 2007, 10:43:51 PM

:praise: for the sunroof is exactly right.  I love it, and now have cursed myself to having a sunroof or convertible vehicle in my lineup at all times in the future.

Step up from the Honda is quasi-correct.  It certainly has more creature comforts, and is newer with less miles.  The Honda had better steering feedback, and a better transmission feel.

The Mazda has steering feel that is close to the Honda, but it's a lot heavier with a quicker ratio.  The Mazda tranny is a tiny bit notchy, but still very good otherwise.  The engine is 400cc larger in displacement, with a good boost in hp and torque.  It feels a bit zippier.  Magazine tests would place the Mazda a second or so ahead of a 2000 Civic DX to 60 mph.  Not earth shattering, but quicker is better, even in small doses.  I lost 300 rpm in the rev range, but the Mazda has fairly close ratios, and it's easy to keep it on boil.  As I do a fair amount of highway driving, I wish the gearing was taller overall (it revs about 3350 rpm at 70 mph), but I can't complain too much, as it'll return 34 mpg with A/C use.

The handling on this car is nothing short of spectacular, given that it's an economy car.  Mild understeer is present at times, but overall it's very neutral, and oversteer occurs relatively easily.  The ride/handling tradeoff is superb as well.  I read a review somewhere that called the Protege ES a 4 door FWD Miata, and that's very accurate IMO.  For the price, it's a great car, and an absolute blast to drive.

Sounds like you're having a great time and you've got a great car!

I've become a big fan of the Protege recently, and your sentiments echo the reason I like it (I'd love an MSP).  Happy motoring, dude.

Oh, and between you and Ed, I'm getting really impatient, and I still have over a year to wait!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

the contour understeers

All cars understeer.

Once you get used to it, you'll get into a rhythm of loading up the fronts and using the front weight bias to unsettle the rear enough to tighten the line.  There's a learning curve.  Plus, you're only like 14, so don't think you're going to be an expert already.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ChrisV

the contour understeers

What tires is it wearing and are they the right pressure? I'd run 36 psi front and 32 rear. Then, dont 'just yarf the steering wheel to turn. Set up the chassis by going in a little hot and lifting, then modulate the car with the throttle. Alternatively, you can lightly (LIGHTLY) press the brake pedal with your left foot while using the throttle with the right.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Raza

Quote from: ChrisV on July 19, 2007, 05:55:37 AM
What tires is it wearing and are they the right pressure? I'd run 36 psi front and 32 rear. Then, dont 'just yarf the steering wheel to turn. Set up the chassis by going in a little hot and lifting, then modulate the car with the throttle. Alternatively, you can lightly (LIGHTLY) press the brake pedal with your left foot while using the throttle with the right.

I think that's bad advice Chris.  He should into a corner light on speed, and then stand on the brakes and turn full lock towards the corner, while accelerating at maximum pace in lowest gear possible.  That's how the pros do it. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i