Veyron races SLR

Started by 565, July 17, 2007, 08:33:29 AM

deesea

ahem...chrysler ME 412?  :P

Quote from: goldenlover1101 on July 18, 2007, 09:09:34 PM
what about the new Caparo T1, or at l;east ferrai Enzo. From what I know, the SLR seems to be considered the worst of the super expensive sports cars. Not as fast and not as involving. Why not A Carrera GT or how about a Zonda. I think the S7 TT Comp. is the best competitor

I think the Zonda R would fair pretty well  :rockon:
So I'm Gonna start a revolution from my bed - Noel Gallagher

S204STi

Caparo, in concept, would outrun the Veyron since it's supposed to have twice the power to weight ratio, and the Zonda would also fare well.

NomisR

I want to see the Veyron's lap times vs an SLR though...

Michael Estorol

Quote from: NomisR on July 18, 2007, 09:59:15 PM
I want to see the Veyron's lap times vs an SLR though...

I think it would absolutely thrash the horribly compromised SLR just about anywhere.
Every half-respectable Veyron review I've read stresses that the roadholding and handling are at least as impressive as the performance.

eg. http://www.pistonheads.com/roadtests/doc.asp?c=47&i=16280

Raza

Quote from: Michael Estorol on July 19, 2007, 01:03:33 AM
I think it would absolutely thrash the horribly compromised SLR just about anywhere.
Every half-respectable Veyron review I've read stresses that the roadholding and handling are at least as impressive as the performance.

eg. http://www.pistonheads.com/roadtests/doc.asp?c=47&i=16280

I doubt it.

I really wish Evo would get an Veyron on Bedford West.  I'd love to see how it does against other supercars.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

JYODER240

Most publications I've read say the Veyron handles very well for it's size and weight, not that it handles as welll as other supercars. Although tires that wide would provide a decent amount of outright grip.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Submariner

Quote from: R-inge on July 18, 2007, 09:40:14 PM
Caparo, in concept, would outrun the Veyron since it's supposed to have twice the power to weight ratio, and the Zonda would also fare well.

It might not have the traction, though, and I have hard time seeing any car getting to 60 under the Veryon's 2.3 seconds.  Granted, it can be done, I just find it unlikely.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

giant_mtb

Yeah, it's starting to bother me when people say "oh, geez, well it can go in a straight line, but it sucks in the turns"...when that's not true at all.  That thing can handle damn well, I'm sure.

giant_mtb

I want to see someone get a Veyron and just strip it down completely.  Gutted interior, roll cage, racing seat, no radio or anything.  No sound deadening.

THAT would be THE car to race.

JYODER240

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 19, 2007, 09:36:52 AM
Yeah, it's starting to bother me when people say "oh, geez, well it can go in a straight line, but it sucks in the turns"...when that's not true at all.? That thing can handle damn well, I'm sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tze6Ir2jNY

Michael Estorol

Quote from: JYODER240 on July 19, 2007, 09:33:29 AM
Most publications I've read say the Veyron handles very well for it's size and weight, not that it handles as welll as other supercars. Although tires that wide would provide a decent amount of outright grip.

Whereas most critics say that the SLR does not handle very well for it's size and weight, and it tends to lose track comparisons with comparable cars.  We weren't talking about Veyron vs. McLaren Mercedes MP4.

Like most people, I used to be prejudiced against the Veyron. Styling had a lot to do with it, along with price, lack of real pedigree and apparent sledgehammer money-no-object engineering.  I've changed my mind and have seen the light. 

To quote Steve Sutcliffe from the link I posted :
I was wrong about the Veyron first time round; I don?t mind admitting that now. It does have soul, it does have emotion, and it certainly isn?t short on personality. But the first time I drove it the roads were all wrong, and the Veyron?s character failed to emerge. Now I?ve driven it again and seen what it can do to a 997 GT3 RS over a difficult road, well, it?s hard to express how good a car I think the mighty Veyron is.
Better than a McLaren F1? Without a single shadow of a doubt. And it doesn?t get any better than that.

Raza

Quote from: JYODER240 on July 19, 2007, 09:33:29 AM

For its size and weight is quite the qualifier. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: Michael Estorol on July 19, 2007, 09:53:22 AM
Whereas most critics say that the SLR does not handle very well for it's size and weight, and it tends to lose track comparisons with comparable cars.? We weren't talking about Veyron vs. McLaren Mercedes MP4.

Like most people, I used to be prejudiced against the Veyron. Styling had a lot to do with it, along with price, lack of real pedigree and apparent sledgehammer money-no-object engineering.? I've changed my mind and have seen the light.?

To quote Steve Sutcliffe from the link I posted :

He and Clarkson are the only ones. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

S204STi

Quote from: Submariner on July 19, 2007, 09:36:00 AM

It might not have the traction, though, and I have hard time seeing any car getting to 60 under the Veryon's 2.3 seconds.? Granted, it can be done, I just find it unlikely.

However, in the videos the cars do a rolling start, and traction isn't quite as much of an issue at that point.

I was working under that assumption.  You're probably right, part of the Veyron's brutal acceleration from a dead stop is traction.

Submariner

Quote from: R-inge on July 19, 2007, 12:57:25 PM
However, in the videos the cars do a rolling start, and traction isn't quite as much of an issue at that point.

I was working under that assumption. You're probably right, part of the Veyron's brutal acceleration from a dead stop is traction.

Without a doubt.  That car would spin much of it's power away if it only had two drive wheels.

SVT_Power

Quote from: R-inge on July 19, 2007, 12:57:25 PM

I was working under that assumption.  You're probably right, part of the Veyron's brutal acceleration from a dead stop is traction.

yeah it's a rolling start but with nearly 1000 hp, i'd think AWD still gives you a definite advantage unless you're already rolling at like 60 mph or something
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Raghavan

I want to see a drag race against that SSC car...
Wheelspin at 190 mph into 6th gear FTW.

JYODER240

Quote from: Raghavan on July 19, 2007, 11:03:48 PM
I want to see a drag race against that SSC car...
Wheelspin at 190 mph into 6th gear FTW.

I can't imagine there's anything fun about wheelspin at 190.

SVT_Power

Quote from: JYODER240 on July 19, 2007, 11:19:33 PM

I can't imagine there's anything fun about any kind of spin at 190
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Raghavan

Quote from: JYODER240 on July 19, 2007, 11:19:33 PM
Still it has so much power, it could probably take on the Veyron.

SVT_Power

Quote from: Raghavan on July 19, 2007, 11:43:18 PM
Still it has so much power, it could probably take on the Veyron.

but last time they tested it,

Raghavan

That was top speed, douche.

SVT_Power

deesea

Quote from: M_power on July 20, 2007, 12:00:48 AM
shush you

:evildude:

rag, he thinks you're chocolate cake...and he wants to eat you up! *munch nmunch!*  :ohyeah:
So I'm Gonna start a revolution from my bed - Noel Gallagher

Submariner

Quote from: deesea on July 18, 2007, 09:27:49 PM
ahem...chrysler ME 412? :P

I think the Zonda R would fair pretty well :rockon:

R?  You mean the F?   :P  I doubt the Zonda could touch the Veryon in a straight, but on a tight track I would imagine it would have a damn good shot.

And,  BTW, the Zonda has it all over the Veryon.  :rockon:

Tave

In Forza I can't do shit with my Zonda - the S7 keeps on whooping my ass. The only hope I have is driving like a bandit and forcing it off the track.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on July 20, 2007, 07:30:21 AM
In Forza I can't do shit with my Zonda - the S7 keeps on whooping my ass. The only hope I have is driving like a bandit and forcing it off the track.

:mask:

In GT4, I built a Zonda that broke 300mph.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT_Power

Quote from: Tave on July 20, 2007, 07:30:21 AM

yeah the zonda is slow in forza. But the S7 ain't too fast either. Both can't be turbo-ed IIRC

the_koof

My hot Lamborghini Diablo SV has owned all so far in Forza 2.  :ohyeah:

I am not surprised that the Veyron owned the SLR in that video as nothing yet tested can match the Veyron short of a Lingenfelter Corvette 427 TT with drag slicks. Joe's Ford GT stands a very good chance too. If anyone hasn't heard about it: http://www.stage6motorsports.com/. Both are hyper tuners and not stock cars in any stretch of the imagination but they come to mind as uberfast cars that could match a Veyron in straight line speed.

The Saleen S7 TT Competition is intriguing. Can't wait to see the test numbers on that!
"If you only work on the days you feel good, you won't get much done in your life."

SVT_Power

Quote from: deesea on July 20, 2007, 07:04:58 AM
rag, he thinks you're chocolate cake...and he wants to eat you up! *munch nmunch!*  :ohyeah:

chocolate cake? It's called a brownie