C/D The Lightning Lap, 2007 @ VIR race track

Started by 1 BAD 7, July 18, 2007, 02:24:10 PM

JYODER240

Another thing to keep in mind with the Turbo is that 911's are known to be difficult to drive fast. It's probably easier to set fast times in a Mustang or Vette than in a 911. So the times we see by the Turbo may not be what it's capable of depending on the skill of the drivers.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

1 BAD 7

Ahhh......I see I dont know why I thought both of them came with it. Why doesnot the automatic come with it are the auto's not heating up as bad.

Quote from: HEMI666 on July 19, 2007, 03:30:42 PM
The automatic doesn't come with it, but the manual with the sport package comes with it standard.

For great deals on all your traveling/entertainment and automotive [Nissan, Chrysler, Dodge] buying needs visit.

www.KayaniTravel.com

SVT666

Quote from: 1 BAD 7 on July 20, 2007, 12:03:18 AM
Ahhh......I see I dont know why I thought both of them came with it. Why doesnot the automatic come with it are the auto's not heating up as bad.

I have no idea.  All I know is the manual with the sport package comes with it and the auto with the sport package doesn't.  Maybe they don't think it will be driven as hard as the manual.

SVT32V

Quote from: GoCougs on July 19, 2007, 10:54:53 AM
If the GT500 did indeed have similar power disappearing issues, it should have similary ratched down; leaving it still far below the 911 Turbo. I skeptical about this; what of the Ford GT's honors last year?

IMO, this lap comparison isn't worth a whole lot. Per the previous thread on the subject, this was the single fastest lap for each car; no lap averages, no driver averages, and on different days. It's interesting perhaps, but it doesn't mean really much of anything as a gage of relative performance.

The Ford GT uses a twn-screw supercharger, this is much more efficient than the roots type blower found on the GT500.  The roots Eaton blower (commonly referred to as the Heaton) will warm the air during boost far more, producing heat soak of the intercooler much faster, than reduced timing etc. cutting power.  So it is not surprising that the GT500 suffers more than the better engineered Ford GT from the heat of the day or repeated laps. 

The porsche is more surprising, you would think they could have engineered a better IC, esecailly since it no doubt air-to-air with a turbo, which should be less prone to heat soak.  Maybe the IC is not big enough, or maybe that was debris in it, a bird or garbage got in the way. 

the_koof

I could have sworn that the Ford GT uses a Roots-style blower.
"If you only work on the days you feel good, you won't get much done in your life."

SJ_GTI

Quote from: HEMI666 on July 19, 2007, 03:30:42 PM
The automatic doesn't come with it, but the manual with the sport package comes with it standard.

Do you have any documentation on it?

I have heard that originally the automatic did not come with an intercooler, but that now they have added it to all 335i's. I cannot find any mention of it on their website (one way or another).

LonghornTX

Quote from: SJ_GTI on July 20, 2007, 12:11:14 PM

I have heard that originally the automatic did not come with an intercooler, but that now they have added it to all 335i's. I cannot find any mention of it on their website (one way or another).
I believe you are correct, IIRC all 335i now come with the extra oil cooler.
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

SVT666

Quote from: SJ_GTI on July 20, 2007, 12:11:14 PM
Read the article in Motor Trend this month where they pitted the G37 vs. the 335i with automatics.

QuoteI have heard that originally the automatic did not come with an intercooler, but that now they have added it to all 335i's. I cannot find any mention of it on their website (one way or another).
That's correct. They do now, but up until just recently the autos did not come with it.

LonghornTX

Quote from: HEMI666 on July 20, 2007, 12:47:46 PM
Read the article in Motor Trend this month where they pitted the G37 vs. the 335i with automatics.
That's correct. They do now, but up until just recently the autos did not come with it.
Let us be clear that we are talking about oil coolers, not intercoolers.  And, the 335i auto has had the extra oil cooler for a good couple months now (at least 3), MT happened to get a 335i (provided by Infiniti from what I hear) that did not have one.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: LonghornTX on July 20, 2007, 02:07:59 PM
Let us be clear that we are talking about oil coolers, not intercoolers.? And, the 335i auto has had the extra oil cooler for a good couple months now (at least 3), MT happened to get a 335i (provided by Infiniti from what I hear) that did not have one.

I assume this extra oil cooler on the auto is actually a transmission cooler.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 1 BAD 7 on July 19, 2007, 02:29:18 PM
I agree there is something fishy with 911 turbo. Maybe its just too much power to handle by such a rear bias layout during hard conrnering. Because after all the Mustang is supercharged and BMW 335i is turbocharged.

Another strange thing is C/D didnot mention anything about 335i overheating etc. after hard lap. It must have had the upgraded oil cooler BMW has now included with the 335i.
That rear engined layout just can't handle that much power.The handling is too quirky with all that weight hanging behind the rear wheels.Porsche should consider swtching to a mid engine(Boxter,Cayman) design next go around!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on July 20, 2007, 04:10:08 PM
That rear engined layout just can't handle that much power.The handling is too quirky with all that weight hanging behind the rear wheels.Porsche should consider swtching to a mid engine(Boxter,Cayman) design next go around!

stfu!
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

JYODER240

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on July 20, 2007, 04:10:08 PM

More power and less weight than the Turbo yet it seems to handle fine.

LonghornTX

Quote from: NACar on July 20, 2007, 02:11:46 PM
I assume this extra oil cooler on the auto is actually a transmission cooler.
Nope, it is an extra engine oil cooler we are referring to. So legend has it, BMW thought owners of the autos wouldn't push their cars as hard as the MT sport package vehicles (the original vehicles with two), so they wouldn't need it.

NomisR

Quote from: JYODER240 on July 20, 2007, 05:19:08 PM

Isn't the turbo AWD and GT3s RWD?   :huh:

JYODER240

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: NACar on July 20, 2007, 04:22:42 PM
stfu!
Everyone knows the 911 is tailhappy!We also know the Cayman and Boxster are better in the handling department.So prove me wrong smart ass!

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: JYODER240 on July 20, 2007, 05:19:08 PM

I'm sure it does,but I was reffering to the prodution models. :ohyeah:

JYODER240

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on July 22, 2007, 03:53:14 PM
I'm sure it does,but I was reffering to the prodution models. :ohyeah:

Techinicaly it is a production version that you can buy it's just not street legal. But I get your point.

1 BAD 7

I was wondering if Z4 M coupe in this test was still wearing those two generation old OEM tires rather then the more new state of the art tires. I know BMW had a brain freez and droped the ball by equipping such a performance machine with dated tires during its introduction last year. Because in theory the Z4 M coupe should be faster then the 335i coupe thanks to lighter weight and better power to weight ratio and a LSD.

For great deals on all your traveling/entertainment and automotive [Nissan, Chrysler, Dodge] buying needs visit.

www.KayaniTravel.com

JYODER240

Quote from: 1 BAD 7 on July 27, 2007, 12:03:49 PM
I was wondering if Z4 M coupe in this test was still wearing those two generation old OEM tires rather then the more new state of the art tires. I know BMW had a brain freez and droped the ball by equipping such a performance machine with dated tires during its introduction last year. Because in theory the Z4 M coupe should be faster then the 335i coupe thanks to lighter weight and better power to weight ratio and a LSD.

Do you write brochures for BMW or something?

1 BAD 7

No but do you always ask such retarded questions instead of providing any positive info ;).

Quote from: JYODER240 on July 27, 2007, 04:48:02 PM
Do you write brochures for BMW or something?

www.KayaniTravel.com

JYODER240

Quote from: 1 BAD 7 on July 27, 2007, 11:37:46 PM
No but do you always ask such retarded questions instead of providing any positive info ;).

Nope I just ask retarded questions.

Question: Which is the best choice for performance?

a. Audi RS4 with 18" wheels
b. Audi RS4 with 22" wheels
c. Audi RS4 with 30" wheels

ArchBishop

1 BAD 7

You forgot to put your favorite choice:

Audi RS4 with 12" wheels :evildude:

Quote from: JYODER240 on July 27, 2007, 11:41:51 PM
Nope I just ask retarded questions.

Question: Which is the best choice for performance?

a. Audi RS4 with 18" wheels
b. Audi RS4 with 22" wheels
c. Audi RS4 with 30" wheels

www.KayaniTravel.com

JYODER240

Quote from: 1 BAD 7 on July 27, 2007, 11:49:11 PM
You forgot to put your favorite choice:

Audi RS4 with 12" wheels :evildude:

Wrong, only BMWs are good for performance :nono:

1 BAD 7

Na na na.....beep.....you got it wrong :nono:.......... only BMW with 11" wheels are good for performance compared to 12" Audi RS4. ;)

Quote from: JYODER240 on July 27, 2007, 11:50:03 PM
Wrong, only BMWs are good for performance :nono:

www.KayaniTravel.com

Danish

Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 1 BAD 7 on July 27, 2007, 11:52:08 PM
Na na na.....beep.....you got it wrong :nono:.......... only BMW with 11" wheels are good for performance compared to 12" Audi RS4. ;)

Off Topic,nice gixxer!

1 BAD 7

Atleast I have the ability to memorize but because your brain in located near your anus you dont have that ability :evildude:

Quote from: Danish on July 28, 2007, 12:02:42 AM
Actually, he just reads them and memorizes them.

http://www.carspin.net/forums/index.php?topic=10042.msg500354#msg500354

www.KayaniTravel.com