1st Annual CarSPIN Car Awards

Started by SVT666, July 19, 2007, 12:05:46 PM

SVT666

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on July 20, 2007, 05:09:44 AM
It's already on the road.
But it's still a 2008 model

QuoteThe Koenigsegg CCX is sports, not GT, IMO.
It has a roof, therefore it's a GT

QuoteI think the GT category is irrelevant anyway.? We already have Sports Coupe, which is the same thing.
GT class includes supercars and exotics

Raza

I believe all Koenigseggs have a removeable roof panel.  I don't know if that design carried over to the CCX.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: JYODER240 on July 19, 2007, 08:39:02 PM
What's wrong with the DB9? Sure it may not have the porportions of past cars but there's not many cars currently for sale that look as good as it does.

If the best looking car made today not only looks nigh identical to two other cars, shares a very similar silhouette to another car, and doesn't look as good as the car it replaces, it's a very sad time for aesthetics in the market. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

the Teuton

Quote from: Raza  on July 20, 2007, 09:52:20 AM
If the best looking car made today not only looks nigh identical to two other cars, shares a very similar silhouette to another car, and doesn't look as good as the car it replaces, it's a very sad time for aesthetics in the market. 

You have to ask yourself, what ever happened to DB8?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on July 20, 2007, 10:07:19 AM
You have to ask yourself, what ever happened to DB8?

The DB9 ate it.  Can't you tell?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

the Teuton

Quote from: Raza  on July 20, 2007, 10:10:58 AM
The DB9 ate it.  Can't you tell?

I thought nine ate seven...  :P
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Danish

Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: HEMI666 on July 20, 2007, 08:03:35 AM
But it's still a 2008 model
It has a roof, therefore it's a GT
GT class includes supercars and exotics

So what's the criteria for this award?  Just because a car has come out recently doesn't mean it can't be included.

Roof or no roof, if the CCX is not a sports car, then nothing is!  A GT is something designed for long distance drives in luxury and comfort.  Not straight out motorsport.

ChrisV

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on July 20, 2007, 10:53:41 AM
So what's the criteria for this award?  Just because a car has come out recently doesn't mean it can't be included.

Roof or no roof, if the CCX is not a sports car, then nothing is!  A GT is something designed for long distance drives in luxury and comfort.  Not straight out motorsport.

Tell that to Ferrari and the 250 GTO.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

etypeJohn

Quote from: ChrisV on July 20, 2007, 10:55:28 AM
Tell that to Ferrari and the 250 GTO.

Chris:? Are you are referencing the fact that Ferreri appended GTO to the 250 name?? If so that doesn't carry much weight.? I don't think anyone would date call a Ford Torino GT either a true GT or a sports car.? A Pontiac GTO from the 60's fit neither category for that matter.? The same is true of any number of cars that had GT appended to their model designation.?

The Ferrari was only so designated becuse it was purpose built to compete in the GT class and had to be homologated, that is 100 cars built to conform to then current FIA rules.? so GTO stands for? "Gran Turismo Omologata", Italian for "Grand Touring Homologated."? That doesn't mean it is a grand touring in the street sense of the word.? On the street GT means swift, comfortable, opulent, quiet; quite simply a GRAND touring car.

The Ferrari Daytona is much more of a GT in the non-FIA sense of the term "GT".

SVT666

Between people saying there are too many categories and the people who can't agree on friggin' definitions (like who really gives a rat's ass), I have grouped some together and we are down to 20 categories.  Check out the first post in the thread for the update.

Vinsanity

Quote from: HEMI666 on July 19, 2007, 12:05:46 PM
5. Entry Luxury BMW 3 Series, Mercedes C-Class, Cadillac CTS, Acura TSX, Acura TL Infiniti G35, Audi A4
6. Luxury BMW 5 Series, Mercedes E-Class, Cadillac STS Infiniti M45
7. Ultra Luxury BMW 7 Series, Mercedes S-Class, Audi A8 Lexus LS460
18. Sexiest Exterior Design Ferrari F430, Aston Martin DB9, Pontiac Solstice, Aston Martin V8 Vantage, Saturn Sky, Ford GT, Audi A5
19. 2007 Best Car BMW 335i, Chevrolet Corvette, Porsche 911 GT3, Audi A5

the new G35 is a 2007 model (we can retire the C-class and CTS until next year)
the Audi A5 is a 2008 model
I would also like to point out that the RDX is more of a compact and the MDX is more of a midsize, but I don't want to start splitting hairs for the categories

SVT666

Quote from: Vinsanity on July 20, 2007, 01:25:29 PM
the new G35 is a 2007 model (we can retire the CTS until next year)
the Audi A5 is a 2008 model
I would also like to point out that the RDX is more of a compact and the MDX is more of a midsize, but I don't want to start splitting hairs for the categories
You are correct my friend.  Change is made.

SVT666

LS600h is a 2008 model so it's out as well.

Vinsanity

meh...I'd be more likely to vote for the 460 than the 600h anyways

JYODER240

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=10241.msg514647#msg514647 date=1184946740
If the best looking car made today not only looks nigh identical to two other cars, shares a very similar silhouette to another car, and doesn't look as good as the car it replaces, it's a very sad time for aesthetics in the market.?

I never said it's the best looking car on the market today I said there's not many cars for sale that look better. If you consider this ugly, then you're in need of help.

/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

SVT666

Quote from: JYODER240 on July 20, 2007, 05:11:09 PM

I'm giggling like a little school girl.  I must have this car.

nickdrinkwater

This model year thing is a stupid rule.  If you can go and buy the car new, it should be included in the awards.  Who gives a fuck what model year it is.

omicron

Hmph. I want to vote for Commodores and Falcons and new Foci and Renaultsports and Territories and JDM Honda Odysseys and R32 Golfs and Accords that aren't shit.

the Teuton

Quote from: omicron on July 22, 2007, 06:31:42 PM
Hmph. I want to vote for Commodores and Falcons and new Foci and Renaultsports and Territories and JDM Honda Odysseys and R32 Golfs and Accords that aren't shit.

It's called the TSX here.  Quit bitching.

omicron

SVT666

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on July 22, 2007, 04:41:28 PM
This model year thing is a stupid rule.? If you can go and buy the car new, it should be included in the awards.? Who gives a fuck what model year it is.
I guess every magazine and publication that gives out awards is stupid then.  Next year we'll do one for 2008 models and I want to do it in January next year instead of the summer.

SVT666

Since there has been no additions made to the nominations for three days, I will begin the polls on Wednesday.  If you have any changes before then, please submit them.

Raza

Shit, shit.  Wait for me! 

I was really busy this weekend, but I'll try and throw some suggestions in today.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

etypeJohn

Quote from: HEMI666 on July 19, 2007, 12:05:46 PM
NEWLY UPDATED:

1. Sub-Compact Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris, Smart, Nissan Versa, Mini Cooper
2. Compact Honda Civic, Mazda3, Hyundai Elantra, VW Rabbit, Subaru Impreza
3. Mid-size Ford Fusion, Hyundai Sonata, Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, Mazda6, Subaru Legacy, VW Passat
4. Full size Chrysler 300, Hyundai Azera, Toyota Avalon, Dodge Charger
5. Entry Luxury BMW 3 Series, Mercedes C-Class, Cadillac CTS, Acura TSX, Acura TL, Infinity G35, Audi A4
6. Luxury BMW 5 Series, Mercedes E-Class, Cadillac STS, Infinity M45
7. Ultra Luxury BMW 7 Series, Mercedes S-Class, Audi A8, Lexus LS460
8. Station Wagon under $35K Dodge Magnum, Mazda6, Audi A3, Subaru Legacy Limited, Subaru WRX
9. Station Wagon over $35K Mercedes E350, BMW 5 Series, Audi A4, Dodge Magnum SRT-8
10. Sports Coupe/Vert under $50K Chevrolet Corvette, Infinity G35, BMW 335i, Lotus Elise, Ford Mustang GT500, Honda S2000, Audi A5, Saturn Sky, Ford Mustang, Nissan 350Z, Mazda MX-5, Mazda RX-8
11. Sports Coupe/Vert over $50K Chevrolet Corvette Z06, Porsche 911, Porsche Boxster, Lotus Exige, Porsche Cayman
12. Pickup Honda Ridgeline, Toyota Tacoma, Nissan Frontier, Chevrolet Silverado/GMC Sierra, Toyota Tundra, Nissan Titan
13. Compact SUV/Crossover Suzuki SX4, Hyundai Tuscon, Honda Element, Honda CR-V, Acura RDX
14. Mid-Size SUV/Crossover Acura MDX, Hyundai Veracruz, Mercedes-Benz ML500
15. Full-Size SUV/Crossover Buick Enclave, Ford Expedition, Cadillac Escalade
16. Minivan Honda Odyssey, Nissan Quest, Hyundai Entourage
17. Sports/GT Car (All prices) Ferrari F430, Porsche Boxster, Lotus Exige, Ferrari F430, Aston Martin DB9, Chevrolet Corvette Z06, Pagani Zonda F, Ford GT, Koenigsegg CCX, BMW 6 Series
18. Sexiest Exterior Design Ferrari F430, Aston Martin DB9, Pontiac Solstice, Aston Martin V8 Vantage, Saturn Sky, Ford GT
19. 2007 Best Car BMW 335i, Chevrolet Corvette, Porsche 911
20. Best Hybrid Toyota Prius, Honda Civic, Ford Escape, Lexus RX400h

Well, you've left out evry Jaguar and I think you should include the Focus.  :nono:

SVT666

Quote from: etypeJohn on July 23, 2007, 11:03:17 AM
Well, you've left out evry Jaguar and I think you should include the Focus.? :nono:
The Focus?  It doesn't even compare to the Mazda3, Civic, or Rabbit.  It's not even close. but I'll put it in if you want me to.  As for Jaguar, the XK is the only one that is as good or better then it's competition.  I haven't left it out on purpose, but no one else has suggested it either.  Tell me what Jags you want and in what categories, and I'll throw them in.

Raza

Is it now open to cars not sold in the US or Canada?  Because last I checked, the Zonda F hasn't touched American soil in an official capacity. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=10241.msg516857#msg516857 date=1185211971
Is it now open to cars not sold in the US or Canada?? Because last I checked, the Zonda F hasn't touched American soil in an official capacity.?
OK.  I didn't know that.  What about the CCX then?

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on July 23, 2007, 11:37:04 AM
OK.? I didn't know that.? What about the CCX then?

Also not available in the North American market.  We mostly only get the mainstream supercars. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

etypeJohn

Quote from: HEMI666 on July 23, 2007, 11:08:47 AM
The Focus?? It doesn't even compare to the Mazda3, Civic, or Rabbit.? It's not even close. but I'll put it in if you want me to.? As for Jaguar, the XK is the only one that is as good or better then it's competition.? I haven't left it out on purpose, but no one else has suggested it either.? Tell me what Jags you want and in what categories, and I'll throw them in.

XJ8 in 7
XK8 in 11
S-type in 6
Escape in 13

Edit:

F150/250 should be in pickups.