Silver Creek durability test Silverado Tundra F150.

Started by 565, July 22, 2007, 06:23:45 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zShwG9l1F0Q

The Silverado looked like it was all over the place, its gas cap kept opening and the whole structure looked like it was going to fall apart.

The Tunda looked more composed and no pieces looked like it was going to fall off.  There is alot of flex in the area where the bed meets the cab though.

The F150 looks easily like it has the stiffest structure here, and alot more composed than the other two.

Onslaught

They don't have to go to all that trouble. Most roads in the US are that bad or worse.

giant_mtb

Interesting.

I started actually laughing out loud at the Tundra...the way the rear end/box was moving around. hahaha  :P

Onslaught

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 22, 2007, 07:55:50 AM
Interesting.

I started actually laughing out loud at the Tundra...the way the rear end/box was moving around. hahaha? :P
The Silverado did the same thing.

Raghavan

The Chevy did horribly IMO, but the Ford was amazing. It looked really composed.
The rear end of the Tundra was funny to watch though.

CJ

Have any of you noticed that the Chevy is an off-road model?  It's a Z71 which means it has a stiffer suspension and a harsher ride.  This test, in my opinion, means nothing.  I challenge all of you to go for a drive on a normal city road with potholes and the like.  The Silverado's bed won't shake, the F-150's will...big time.  I have yet to see a Tundra on a normal street.  Well, I have, but I haven't been behind one.

93JC

As much as it pains me to defend a Toyota, this test means diddly in real-world application.

giant_mtb

Quote from: 93JC on July 22, 2007, 02:47:19 PM
As much as it pains me to defend a Toyota, this test means diddly in real-world application.

IT DOES IF YOUR GAS IS GONNA COME LEAKIN' OUTTA YOUR CHEVY 'CAUSE OF A COUPLE BUMPS!

CJ

It's not going to come out in the Chevy.  It's the fuel door, not the gas cap. 

Quote from: CJ on July 22, 2007, 06:04:08 PM
It's not going to come out in the Chevy.? It's the fuel door, not the gas cap.?

I hate it when domestics come without a fuel door release and instead just have the pull out door.  First off, it can come loose, as seen in that video.  Also it just feels unsecure to have just anyone with access to your fuel tank.  It makes it so easy for vandals to put random stuff in it, or people to siphon off your gas.  Both may be rare occurances, but then again so is someone breaking into your house or car, and it still feels alot safer to have a door that locks.

Plus that area of the fuel door that protrudes out for your finger to pull ruins the lines of a car.  Are domestics so keen to save those few pennies that they don't make a fuel door release?  Or are Americans so lazy that they don't want to pull a lever or push a button before getting out to pump gas?

ifcar

Quote from: 565 on July 22, 2007, 06:35:06 PM
Or are Americans so lazy that they don't want to pull a lever or push a button before getting out to pump gas?

I like not having to remember the release. I've never had my gas stolen or tampered with.

CJ

I'm pretty sure my Uncles Tahoe has a locking fuel door.

the Teuton

Subaru switched from flat fuel door to little lip sometime during a facelift in the late 1990s.  There are people who actually buy old fuel doors and retrofit the cable to their car just so they look flat and people can't mess with their cars.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Quote from: ifcar on July 22, 2007, 06:36:21 PM
I like not having to remember the release. I've never had my gas stolen or tampered with.

See to me that arguement goes along the same lines as "I like not having to lock my house, and it's never gotten broken into yet."

ifcar

Quote from: 565 on July 22, 2007, 06:56:29 PM
See to me that arguement goes along the same lines as "I like not having to lock my house, and it's never gotten broken into yet."

I have the option of getting a locking gas cap if I want one. I like having the choice.

Quote from: ifcar on July 22, 2007, 07:03:15 PM
I have the option of getting a locking gas cap if I want one. I like having the choice.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

omicron

What sort of places are you visiting if there are people running about with hoses sucking out all your petrol?

Onslaught

I'd be more concerned with them putting sugar in the tank then anything.

GoCougs

Think that the test speed of 28 mph was a fluke? It ain't hard to devise a test to show your product in the best light. Chevy and Toyota could similarly devise tests to dig on the Ford.

The irony here IMO is that Ford's Super Duty doesn't use a fully boxed frame: it's boxed under the engine, reinforced c-channel under the cab, and standard c-channel under the bed.

ifcar

Quote from: ifcar on July 22, 2007, 07:38:27 PM
http://www.snopes.com/autos/grace/sugar.asp

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/what-if-sugar-gas.htm

What if I put sugar in someone's gas tank?

"For some reason, there is a popular and common rumor about sugar and gas that's been around for decades. Rumor has it that if you pour sugar into someone's gas tank, it will disable the car. The sugar is supposed to react with the gasoline and turn into a semi-solid gooey substance that totally clogs up the gas tank, the fuel lines and so on.
It sounds great, especially if you have a grudge against someone. The problem with this rumor is that it simply is not true. As it turns out, sugar does not dissolve in gasoline. It would be about the same as pouring sand into the gas tank. The sand or sugar might clog up the filter, and that would disable the car, but it's not a sure thing.

So what do you do if you really do want to disable someone's car? You could indeed pour a lot of sand or sugar in the gas tank and hope for a filter clog. Water might be a better choice, however. Gasoline floats on top of water. If you pour in several cups of water, the fuel pump will fill the fuel lines with water instead of gasoline and the car would have some major problems.

Another option, of course if to drain all of the gasoline out of the tank. Or, if you can get the hood open, you could remove the battery -- that totally disables the electrical system, including the spark plugs and the computer that controls the engine in most modern cars."

I love how they give advice on how to properly ruin someone's car. 

the_koof

If I really don't like someone, I'll just pour bleach in there. Killed the engine on Mythbusters but that may have been the rust that got to the engine.

And for those who worry about people stealing or tampering with their gas, buy a damn locking gas cap if it so worries you.
"If you only work on the days you feel good, you won't get much done in your life."

Onslaught

Quote from: ifcar on July 22, 2007, 07:38:27 PM
http://www.snopes.com/autos/grace/sugar.asp
Yes, but because the rumor is out there then someone could do it. And even if it won't ruin the car it's not a good thing to happen.

Onslaught

Quote from: the_koof on July 22, 2007, 08:15:58 PM
If I really don't like someone, I'll just pour bleach in there. Killed the engine on Mythbusters but that may have been the rust that got to the engine.

And for those who worry about people stealing or tampering with their gas, buy a damn locking gas cap if it so worries you.
I'm not concerned with someone fucking with my gas tank. They would cut my top before doing that. But I also don't find a lock to be any faster or easier than flipping a switch inside the car when I get out.

footoflead

Quote from: the_koof on July 22, 2007, 08:15:58 PM

+1 if you are so paranoid about someone fucking with your gas then just buy it, its cheap insurance that nobody will get in...and if you don't feel like messing with the locking gas cap then you obvious don't think its that big of a deal....so hush :ohyeah: :devil:
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Onslaught on July 22, 2007, 09:32:58 AM
The Silverado did the same thing.

Did you watch the same video as me?

The Silverado's suspension didn't react too well, but its frame was just as rigid and inflappable as the F150.

I can't really speak for the accuracy of this test WRT real world results, but in general a stiffer frame is better, which is why most passanger cars do not use the BoF design. It seems like Ford and Chevy did a better job at creating a rigid frame, and, according to the video, the Ford's suspension was the best at coping with the uneven terrain.

JYODER240

Quote from: 565 on July 22, 2007, 06:35:06 PM
I hate it when domestics come without a fuel door release and instead just have the pull out door.? First off, it can come loose, as seen in that video.? Also it just feels unsecure to have just anyone with access to your fuel tank.? It makes it so easy for vandals to put random stuff in it, or people to siphon off your gas.? Both may be rare occurances, but then again so is someone breaking into your house or car, and it still feels alot safer to have a door that locks.

Plus that area of the fuel door that protrudes out for your finger to pull ruins the lines of a car.? Are domestics so keen to save those few pennies that they don't make a fuel door release?? Or are Americans so lazy that they don't want to pull a lever or push a button before getting out to pump gas?

I figure if someone really wants to pour something in your gas tank a little latch isn't going to stop them. It's not like you couldn't pry it open with a screwdriver. Atleast with a pull out door you wouldn't have anymore damage besides what was poured in the tank.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

S204STi

Quote from: GoCougs on July 22, 2007, 07:34:01 PM
Think that the test speed of 28 mph was a fluke? It ain't hard to devise a test to show your product in the best light. Chevy and Toyota could similarly devise tests to dig on the Ford.

The irony here IMO is that Ford's Super Duty doesn't use a fully boxed frame: it's boxed under the engine, reinforced c-channel under the cab, and standard c-channel under the bed.

The irony is, to paraphrase Hemi666, an enthusiast thinking he knows better than Ford's engineers. :rolleyes:

Your ignorance has to be painful.

Submariner

Quote from: R-inge on July 23, 2007, 11:11:18 AM
The irony is, to paraphrase Hemi666, an enthusiast thinking he knows better than Ford's engineers. :rolleyes:

Your ignorance has to be painful.

:lol:
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550