Ebay fantasies

Started by S204STi, July 23, 2007, 04:29:45 PM

S204STi

Quote from: NACar on July 23, 2007, 09:23:19 PM
I must say, even after my '79 LeMans actually turned out to be a real LeMon, I'm a fan of the GM G-Bodies. All of the turbo Regals are my favourites, followed by the Monte SS, I suppose.

Generally I'm not a huge fan of any GM built between 1970 and 2000, but the Grand National was a really decent car.  Headroom is ridiculously short-I'm only 5'9" or so, and I was brushing my head on the headliner.  But the steering wasn't completely wooly, the ride and handling wasn't completely wobbly, and the engine made decent power, probably on par with or better than period V8 motors.  I imagine some new polyurethane bushings, some fatter sway bars, and new shocks would make that thing handle decently, and the engine obviously has huge potential.  I kind of thought about making an offer, but it was an old lady who claimed she had someone offer her $50,000, which is absurd, but it gives her an inflated sense of the value of the car, which had crappy paint but a mint interior, and tons of oil leaks.

Raza

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-Saab-9-3-Viggen-Lightning-Blue-Rebuilt-Engine_W0QQitemZ250144746283QQihZ015QQcategoryZ31866QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's like looking at a girl who's game, but is only 17 and you're in a room full of cops.  She's ready to go, but you still have to wait a year to do anything fun.

By the way, this is the same Viggen Champ posted earlier. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

ro51092

Quote from: Raza  on July 24, 2007, 03:57:18 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-Saab-9-3-Viggen-Lightning-Blue-Rebuilt-Engine_W0QQitemZ250144746283QQihZ015QQcategoryZ31866QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's like looking at a girl who's game, but is only 17 and you're in a room full of cops.  She's ready to go, but you still have to wait a year to do anything fun.

By the way, this is the same Viggen Champ posted earlier. 
http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/cargrouptests/204917/ten_worst_cars_tested.html#

Raza

Quote from: ro51092 on July 24, 2007, 08:28:02 AM
http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/cargrouptests/204917/ten_worst_cars_tested.html#

Yeah, from factory there are some imperfections that need to be addressed, but I'd say it's far from one of the worst cars ever tested.  I think if they redid that list, it wouldn't be on it.

And Evo has been known to change their minds.  First, they hated the Focus RS.  Then they loved it.  Then they hated it again.  Same thing with the Vectra VXR. 

I've disagreed with Evo before though, and I'm sure it will happen again.  Fact is that the Viggen I drove is one of the most intoxicating automotive experiences I've ever had, and it exhibited none of the problems they complained of.  Short of the Elise and the Boxster, I don't think I've ever been as satisfied behind the wheel of a car as when I was piloting the Vig,

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ro51092

Quote from: Raza  on July 24, 2007, 08:36:56 AM
Yeah, from factory there are some imperfections that need to be addressed, but I'd say it's far from one of the worst cars ever tested.  I think if they redid that list, it wouldn't be on it.

And Evo has been known to change their minds.  First, they hated the Focus RS.  Then they loved it.  Then they hated it again.  Same thing with the Vectra VXR. 

I've disagreed with Evo before though, and I'm sure it will happen again.  Fact is that the Viggen I drove is one of the most intoxicating automotive experiences I've ever had, and it exhibited none of the problems they complained of.  Short of the Elise and the Boxster, I don't think I've ever been as satisfied behind the wheel of a car as when I was piloting the Vig,

I've driven a 9-3. Okay, not a Viggen but still. It was nice to drive, and handled okay. But it torque steered like hell. Plus the A4 did just about everything better. The shifter's a mess too.

Raza

Quote from: ro51092 on July 24, 2007, 08:50:19 AM
I've driven a 9-3. Okay, not a Viggen but still. It was nice to drive, and handled okay. But it torque steered like hell. Plus the A4 did just about everything better. The shifter's a mess too.

Again, the Viggen I drove exhibited none of those traits.? Even the 9-3 Arc I drove exhibited very little torque steer.? The A4 I drove (albeit a 3.2 auto) was not nearly as satisfying as the Vig was.

The shifter is not exactly great, but that's really not that high up on my list of important points.? Unless a shifter is so horrible that you can barely use it (like the xB's), all it takes is a little acclimation.? The Vig just needed some thought at first and then it was fine.? Just like everything else, it's easy to use once you used to using it.?

Besides, you like BMWs.  You don't have enough character to like a Saab. 
:devil:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ro51092

Quote from: Raza  on July 24, 2007, 08:58:13 AM
Besides, you like BMWs.  You don't have enough character to like a Saab. 
:devil:

I have a liking for excellent cars, nearing on perfection. The Saab is a nice car, no doubt, but it doesn't touch the BMW.

And I absolutely love Porsche. Does that make up for anything?

Raza

Quote from: ro51092 on July 24, 2007, 09:37:28 AM
I have a liking for excellent cars, nearing on perfection. The Saab is a nice car, no doubt, but it doesn't touch the BMW.

And I absolutely love Porsche. Does that make up for anything?

Being a criminal and donating to charity doesn't make you any less a criminal, my friend.  :lol: 

I'd take every Saab barring the 9-7X over the comparable BMW, too.  So, if we're keeping count, that's 9-3 over 3 series, and 9-5 over 5 series (which is a wash, since I'd buy an older 9-5 instead of the new one).

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

heelntoe

anything you made up with liking porsche was lost when you badmouthed the viggen.
@heelntoe

ro51092

Quote from: Raza  on July 24, 2007, 09:46:26 AM
Being a criminal and donating to charity doesn't make you any less a criminal, my friend.  :lol: 

I'd take every Saab barring the 9-7X over the comparable BMW, too.  So, if we're keeping count, that's 9-3 over 3 series, and 9-5 over 5 series (which is a wash, since I'd buy an older 9-5 instead of the new one).

:lol:

I like the Viggen. It's not a terrible car, just that I could find a better car for the price. I'd  eventake a WRX or a GTI over one. Okay, an A5 GTI, not an A4 GTI. I like Saabs, I just feel that they're not as competent as others in the segment. I think, and hope that will change with the new 9-3.

Danish

Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

nickdrinkwater

The Viggen would be good if it had a decent chassis.

Raza

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on July 24, 2007, 01:25:41 PM
The Viggen would be good if it had a decent chassis.

Well, I'm not talking to you anymore. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: 93JC on July 24, 2007, 01:52:53 PM

He also talks shit on Cherokees.

"Oh, quite yes.  That Colonial Cherokee is no match for our home grown Land Rover Discovery.  Daft Americans, they don't even know that you can only call it high tea if you serve cucumber sandwiches..."

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Champ

Guess I'll just put this all in one post.
Quote from: ro51092 on July 24, 2007, 09:54:39 AM
I like the Viggen. It's not a terrible car, just that I could find a better car for the price. I'd eventake a WRX or a GTI over one. Okay, an A5 GTI, not an A4 GTI. I like Saabs, I just feel that they're not as competent as others in the segment. I think, and hope that will change with the new 9-3.
The car that Raza posted ended up selling for $8,000.  If you can find a car that equals the value that car represents at eight thousand dollars, I'd love for you to find it.  I'll buy it.

The Viggen was missing 4 things (suspension related) from the factory, that would have changed the final price by less than $200.  If you fix those 4 things, the car barely torque steers in first, and doesn't at all in second and higher.  It's just a shame they don't test the cars with those simple modifications.  I can't make excuses for Saab as to why they didn't do this stuff from the factory, because they would/could have sold a lot more cars.  I wish they had, then there wouldn't be all this hating on the Viggen and Saabs in general.

The Viggen Raza drove was sorted out already - in fact most of them are since it's such a no brainer.

Saab to me has always been what I consider a jack of all trades.  Perfect at nothing, but exceptionally good at everything.  I can't find another car that can haul as much my car can, while being (exceptionally) fun to drive, gets over 30mpg, is as fast as or faster than the E36 M3 on the highway, handles amazingly, is amazing in the snow and poor conditions (I rallied this car and took second place), is very comfortable (bless those seats!) and looks good.

Every other car comes close, but will fall short in 1 or more of those categories.

Danish

Quote from: Raza  on July 24, 2007, 02:03:21 PM
He also talks shit on Cherokees.

Pot calling kettle black?

On 9/28/2003 7:51:52 PM 93JC wrote:
    On 9/28/2003 7:44:08 PM Raza wrote:

Jeep Cherokee es facil, tu sabes?
    Y madre de Jeep Cherokee es facil!

NOW THAT I UNDERSTAND...

Also this gem from the Chat Thread: http://www.carspin.net/forums/index.php?topic=552.msg510638#msg510638
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

Raza

I said it was easy.  Easy is good.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

Cucumber Sandwiches!!!! OH shit get the fuck outta here!!!!1!!!
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

the_koof

I have many fantasies.

Ferrari Enzo

Ferrari 355 Berlinetta 6-speed

Lamborghini Diablo SV <-- Paint those wheels black, remove the SV, and paint the car a miles deep dark metallic red and its H-O-T.

Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo

Acura NSX Targa

Porsche 911 (993) Turbo S, by RUF

Porsche Carrera GT

VW R32

Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.3-16 valve

Mercedes-Benz SL600 <-- I love that 7.3L V12.

Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG RENNtech 514 hp of greatness

BMW E30 M3

BMW E36 M3 with Dinan supercharger

BMW E46 M3

BMW E34 M5 <-- H-O-T!!!

BMW E39 M5

BMW Z8

Chevrolet Corvette Z06

GMC Syclone - all stock

Buick Grand National

Dodge Viper GTS

Ford SVT Mustang Cobra <--- The 1993 original.

Ford SVT Mustang Cobra <--- Lose the blower and strap on twin 50mm turbos.

Ford SVT F-150 Lightning <--- Ring up Kenne Bell for a big blower

Ford SVT F-150 Lightning <-- The original. Add a blower and these are really fast. The handling is very surprising considering its a full size truck. Helps when you have Jackie Stewart supervise the suspension tuning.

Lamborghini LM002 <-- Just so I can have one of these mega rare beasts.

Hummer H1 open top <-- It would be very dirty very often and scratched up. No pretty Hummer.

That should be enough for now. Now if I were to look for antiques, classics and muscle cars, well that would be one LONG list.
"If you only work on the days you feel good, you won't get much done in your life."

footoflead

Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

BimmerM3

I check used Miata prices on eBay at least once a week. Maybe next summer I'll be able to afford one.

I don't usually check eBay for real fantasies. I figure I can have fantasies about just about any car... who cares if it's actually on sale or not. eBay cars will only excite me if they're actually relatively reasonably priced and still totally kick-ass.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]