Mazda MX-5
3 (7.1%)
Mazda RX-8
1 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Voting closed: August 01, 2007, 11:49:14 AM

JYODER240

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 26, 2007, 11:16:25 AM

And why is everyone voting for the Elise?!? That's a pathetic daily car compared to these other choices...? :huh:

Because it's a better sports coupe/vert than any other choice here :huh:
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Gotta-Qik-C7

The Lotus is the pure track car,but the Vette outlapped it at VIR.? :ohyeah: I vote Vette!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

JYODER240

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on July 26, 2007, 09:50:29 PM
The Lotus is the pure track car,but the Vette outlapped it at VIR.? :ohyeah: I vote Vette!

Lap times don't mean much.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: JYODER240 on July 26, 2007, 09:59:04 PM
Lap times don't mean much.
But that seems to be evryones reason for wanting the Lotus.It's 'pose to be one of the best track cars for the money and thats why it has so few features.But a Vette with leather,navi,and a million watt stereo(that you can drive daily) will still outlap it.So where is the justification in buying the Exige?

Eye of the Tiger

Maybe everyone should just drive go karts to work.  :rolleyes:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT_Power

Why not stick a few rockets behind a truck and set the fastest lap time? That doesn't mean much
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

ro51092

Quote from: M_power on July 26, 2007, 10:35:57 PM
Why not stick a few rockets behind a truck and set the fastest lap time? That doesn't mean much

Because you couldn't set the fastest lap time. Lap times are important, because they are a combination of the handling, and the speed of the car.

Onslaught

Quote from: NACar on July 26, 2007, 10:16:04 PM
Maybe everyone should just drive go karts to work.? :rolleyes:
I have one and if I could legally drive it on the road I would take it to work. Unfortunately I'd have to stop and put gas in it from time to time.

Onslaught

Quote from: ro51092 on July 26, 2007, 10:52:58 PM
Because you couldn't set the fastest lap time. Lap times are important, because they are a combination of the handling, and the speed of the car.
If you're racing then lap times are important. If you want an extremely light weight car that has a particular fell to on the normal roads then lap times are meaningless. I could give two shits about statistics of a car as long as it's fun. Unless I was going to put it one a track and run it against other cars.

SVT666

I love how lap times "don't mean much" unless it's their car that is faster. :rolleyes:

JYODER240

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on July 26, 2007, 10:09:20 PM
But that seems to be evryones reason for wanting the Lotus.It's 'pose to be one of the best track cars for the money and thats why it has so few features.But a Vette with leather,navi,and a million watt stereo(that you can drive daily) will still outlap it.So where is the justification in buying the Exige?

Exatcly how many people to you think competitively race their Elises? At most they'll use it for an HPDE or an open track day. They buy an Elise because it's more composed, pure and fun to drive than a Vette.

JYODER240

Quote from: HEMI666 on July 27, 2007, 08:12:39 AM
I love how lap times "don't mean much" unless it's their car that is faster. :rolleyes:

who said that?

nickdrinkwater

Gotta-Qik-C7

Oh so true!  ;)

Raza

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on July 26, 2007, 10:09:20 PM

It's not about the fastest lap times.  It's about the highest level of involvement a driver can have with a car. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

The Lotus very well could be the best "sport coupe/verty" under $50k.
If you want to argue about using it as a commuter, stick it in a thread entitled: "Best Daily Driver". S2000 will win.  :evildude:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=10326.msg521213#msg521213 date=1185572179
It's not about the fastest lap times.? It's about the highest level of involvement a driver can have with a car.?
Don't you think the Vette is highly involving to drive?  :huh:

Onslaught

I drive a MX-5. Power and 0-60 and top speed aren't important to me. I'm also an RX-8 fan, and that car will get killed by it's competitors in the same categories. I want small, extremely light weight and a go cart like feel to a car.
Now I understand the others don't feel the same way as I do about that stuff so they should get another car. But don't make a poll asking which car people would like and then get mad that people don't all pick the same car you would.
And if you think you can find a post I've ever made that had lot's of performance numbers and track times as my reasoning of thinking one car is better than another then good luck.

JYODER240

SVT666

Quote from: Onslaught on July 27, 2007, 04:10:17 PM
I drive a MX-5. Power and 0-60 and top speed aren't important to me. I'm also an RX-8 fan, and that car will get killed by it's competitors in the same categories. I want small, extremely light weight and a go cart like feel to a car.
Now I understand the others don't feel the same way as I do about that stuff so they should get another car. But don't make a poll asking which car people would like and then get mad that people don't all pick the same car you would.
If you can show me a post from myself getting mad that people weren't picking the same car as me, I'll give you a million bucks.

QuoteAnd if you think you can find a post I've ever made that had lot's of performance numbers and track times as my reasoning of thinking one car is better than another then good luck.
Show me where I called you out.  Good luck.

J86

I dunno...sports coupes don't do it for me, I need more space! :lol:

Raza

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on July 27, 2007, 03:47:08 PM
Don't you think the Vette is highly involving to drive?  :huh:

I do.  I also think a Porsche Boxster is incredibly involving to drive.  But it's a scale.  Even journalists have reckoned that the Elise S is even better to drive than the standard Elise, despite being down 60bhp or so. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=10326.msg522345#msg522345 date=1185654723
I do.? I also think a Porsche Boxster is incredibly involving to drive.? But it's a scale.? Even journalists have reckoned that the Elise S is even better to drive than the standard Elise, despite being down 60bhp or so.?

How much is a Boxster in the U.S.? Is it over 50k? The Elise is definitely a better track car, but I'd take a Boxster over it as an only car every time.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Raza

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on July 31, 2007, 11:41:50 AM
How much is a Boxster in the U.S.? Is it over 50k? The Elise is definitely a better track car, but I'd take a Boxster over it as an only car every time.

A standard Boxster starts at around 45K.  My S was about 61.  I think Road and Track had a long termer which was about 80. 

So it runs the scale.  The personalization options are crazy; 8 grand brakes, body colored roll bars, body colored seatbelts, crests in seatbacks, carbon fiber interior trim; et al. 

You could spend 90-100 if you tick every box. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=10326.msg525588#msg525588 date=1185904121
A standard Boxster starts at around 45K.? My S was about 61.? I think Road and Track had a long termer which was about 80.?

So it runs the scale.? The personalization options are crazy; 8 grand brakes, body colored roll bars, body colored seatbelts, crests in seatbacks, carbon fiber interior trim; et al.?

You could spend 90-100 if you tick every box.?

I have been visiting Porsche's configurator recently. This is what I'd get:

- Boxster S (the extra power is worth it)
- PASM
- Wind Blocker
- Basic Sport Chrono
- Short shift kit
- Heated seats
- Sport seats
- Sports (shorter diameter) 3 radius steering wheel.

It comes out to 74K here in Mexico. I am between this and a Z4M Roadster (67K here fully loaded) as a replacement for the MINI possibly for 2008.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

Raza

Sports steering wheel? 

Interesting.  How much is that? 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=10326.msg525600#msg525600 date=1185905542
Sports steering wheel??

Interesting.? How much is that??

Around US$400.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

Raza

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on July 31, 2007, 01:29:50 PM
Around US$400.

Interesting.  If that's available up here, then I'll look into it.  I always felt the steering wheel was just a little too big. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

heelntoe

should be an easy enough install.

now that i think about it. a detachable steering would be a very good theft deterrent. i'm going to look into it. :lol:
@heelntoe

Raza

Quote from: heelntoe on July 31, 2007, 02:44:56 PM
should be an easy enough install.

now that i think about it. a detachable steering would be a very good theft deterrent. i'm going to look into it. :lol:

In America, a stickshift is a good theft deterrent! 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i