I Can't Drive on the Interstate

Started by Eye of the Tiger, July 27, 2007, 10:03:31 AM

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 28, 2007, 12:30:43 PM
He could wear a helmet and carry a mouthguard. That way when somebody tries to pull that "Oh no, you don't opass me in that little furrin car" nonsense, all he has to do is look over at them, tighten his chin strap and put the mouthguard in.

I guarantee people will back off!

I'd wear my motorcycle helmet, but if I bother with that I might as well actually hop on the bike. Nobody really messes with me on the bike. It's only the people who don't see me that I have issues with, but I hope they can hear me cuz I gutted out all the packing in my mufflers  :rockon:

Out of my 5-hours of interstate driving today, I can only recall four actual serious cases of people speeding up when I go to pass them. Perhaps that is beacuse it's a Saturday, but that doens't include the people who go slow in the left lane and then speed up when they pull right to let you by, and that doesn't inlcude the old man in the Oldsmobile who would have come to a complete stop at the top of the on-ramp had I not been so persistent with my airhorns.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

I know what you mean.  I passed the same CTS 3 times yesterday.

It's usually worse when you're with noncommuters.  The random drivers (like the CTS) have very little idea of appropriate highway behavior.  Commuters aren't usually as bad, but it happens.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BartsSVO

I only speed up when someone attempts to pass me on the right, the lane to my left is open and in order for the idiot to complete the pass on the right, he'd have to narrowly squeeze between me and the person I'm already passing in the right hand lane. In such a case, I view it as a defensive measure just in the event said idiot mis-judges the room he has between me and the vehicle on the right.

Though I doubt you're ever going to change the behavior of such an idiot, maybe it does cause some people to get it through their thick skulls that they aren't supposed to pass on the right, irregardless of its legality.

--Bart

1986 Mustang SVO
1995 Ranger XLT

ifcar

I pass on the right if by passing on the left I'd still be going too slowly for the left lane. IE when the middle lane of three is occupied by someone doing the limit, I'm doing 5 over, and the left lane is doing 15 over.

Champ

Quote from: BartsSVO on August 06, 2007, 01:22:12 PM
I only speed up when someone attempts to pass me on the right, the lane to my left is open and in order for the idiot to complete the pass on the right, he'd have to narrowly squeeze between me and the person I'm already passing in the right hand lane. In such a case, I view it as a defensive measure just in the event said idiot mis-judges the room he has between me and the vehicle on the right.

Though I doubt you're ever going to change the behavior of such an idiot, maybe it does cause some people to get it through their thick skulls that they aren't supposed to pass on the right, irregardless of its legality.
Or of course, if someone has enough room to pass on the right of you - maybe you should just move right yourself.

Obviously this is different for different situations, but if someone can move to my right, pass me, then get back in front of me - I most likely could have just moved right and let them pass me on the left then moved back over if I needed to.

BartsSVO

Quote from: Champ on August 06, 2007, 01:57:41 PM
Or of course, if someone has enough room to pass on the right of you - maybe you should just move right yourself.

Obviously this is different for different situations, but if someone can move to my right, pass me, then get back in front of me - I most likely could have just moved right and let them pass me on the left then moved back over if I needed to.

My point was that 1)I was passing traffic in the right hand lane, 2)there was a totally open lane to my left. In any case, there was no reason for said idiot to pass on the right except he's just that, an idiot that doesn't know how to drive. If its just 2 lanes in each direction, then I'll wait for the faster traffic to pass.
--Bart

1986 Mustang SVO
1995 Ranger XLT

Eye of the Tiger

Americans have no lane etiquette. Most of them they are lazy, self-righteous nincompoops who don't deserve the right to drive. I've let myself get pissed off too many times over left-lane cruisers and right-lane fly-byers. My give up. From now on, I'm just going to pass wherever I can squeeze through. Right lane, slow-vehicle lane, hell, I might as well use the shoulder, and the grass median when possible. It's a damn free-for-all out there, the sooner you realize that, the sooner you can get on with your life.

Champ

Quote from: BartsSVO on August 06, 2007, 04:39:44 PM
My point was that 1)I was passing traffic in the right hand lane, 2)there was a totally open lane to my left. In any case, there was no reason for said idiot to pass on the right except he's just that, an idiot that doesn't know how to drive. If its just 2 lanes in each direction, then I'll wait for the faster traffic to pass.
Well it doesn't matter how many lanes there are, there could be 50 in each direction - it's still your responsibility to keep as far right as possible.

Now if it was a situation where you had just enough room behind you and just enough room in front of you so he had to really squeeze it, then yea on the left is what he should have done.  But if there was space for you to move over, you should do so.

GoCougs

If the right lane is doing 10 under the limit, the left lane at the limit, in no uncertain terms will I move from the left lane to the right lane to let someone pass.

If you insist on doing above the speed limit, there's no way I'm going to accomodate you by diving in and out of under limit traffic, should I be doing the speed limit. I, and the vast majority of Americans, simply won't accomodate someone to such a degree.

And if someone is lolligagging in the left lane, by gods you can bet I'll zip around on the right.

Champ

Quote from: GoCougs on August 07, 2007, 11:05:43 AM
If the right lane is doing 10 under the limit, the left lane at the limit, in no uncertain terms will I move from the left lane to the right lane to let someone pass.

If you insist on doing above the speed limit, there's no way I'm going to accomodate you by diving in and out of under limit traffic, should I be doing the speed limit. I, and the vast majority of Americans, simply won't accomodate someone to such a degree.

And if someone is lolligagging in the left lane, by gods you can bet I'll zip around on the right.
How often does this happen?  The only time traffic is ever under the limit here is in stop and go.

GoCougs

Quote from: Champ on August 07, 2007, 11:49:42 AM
How often does this happen?? The only time traffic is ever under the limit here is in stop and go.

Actually, all the time on freeways away from metro areas.

The right lane is usually clogged with big rigs and/or slowed by people exiting/entering.

Champ

Quote from: GoCougs on August 07, 2007, 12:25:16 PM
Actually, all the time on freeways away from metro areas.

The right lane is usually clogged with big rigs and/or slowed by people exiting/entering.
Move to MN!  This doesn't happen :)

GoCougs

Quote from: Champ on August 07, 2007, 12:26:17 PM
Move to MN!? This doesn't happen :)

LOL - funny you mention it. I am in the process of considering starting a business serving eastern Canada. Not sure yet on the practicality of emigrating, so one of the possibilities is actually MN, MI or NY, right up against the border.

Champ

NomisR

Normally, on my daily commutes, I just drive on the right most lane on a 10 + lane freeway.  It's typically a lot faster than driving in the passing lane 

I understand that I shouldn't pass on the right, but my thinking is, if I can pass all of them from the right side, everyone to the left of me is lane camping and should move one lane to right right anyways so the proper lane could be used.  So it's not my fault that I'm passinig on the right but everyone else's fault for failure to drive properly..

I think that's a good self righteous logic isn't it?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: GoCougs on August 07, 2007, 11:05:43 AM

Unless you're a cop, it's not your job to enforce the speedlimit, but it is you job to move right for faster traffic.

Not that I would expect anyone to "dive in and out of" traffic, but one should move over as soon it's reasonable to do so, or as soon as they have completed passing slower traffic.

BartsSVO

Quote from: Champ on August 07, 2007, 06:57:36 AM
Well it doesn't matter how many lanes there are, there could be 50 in each direction - it's still your responsibility to keep as far right as possible.

Now if it was a situation where you had just enough room behind you and just enough room in front of you so he had to really squeeze it, then yea on the left is what he should have done.  But if there was space for you to move over, you should do so.

For the 3rd time now, that is what I was describing. I don't make a habit out of lounging in the left hand lanes. I make my pass and get over.
--Bart

1986 Mustang SVO
1995 Ranger XLT

Eye of the Tiger

I'm about to embark on my journey home. Oh please please please please, all poweful traffic gods, give me the strength to not run every left-lane hog off the road. I can't afford the reckless driving ticket, or the body work. I'll just pass in the median from now on, ok?

GoCougs

Quote from: NACar on August 07, 2007, 05:41:51 PM

Unless you're a cop, it's not your job to enforce the speedlimit, but it is you job to move right for faster traffic.

Not that I would expect anyone to "dive in and out of" traffic, but one should move over as soon it's reasonable to do so, or as soon as they have completed passing slower traffic.

It's not my job to do anything.

I will not inconvenience myself for someone show can't drive the speed limit (above or below).

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: GoCougs on August 08, 2007, 09:14:36 AM

I will not inconvenience myself for someone show can't drive the speed limit (above or below).

You have the same attitude of most bad American drivers.  :rolleyes:
Where has common courtesy gone? Where is the respect? What the hell is wrong with people these days? I guess I just expect too much from my fellow countrymen.  :(  :banghead:

Raza

Quote from: GoCougs on August 08, 2007, 09:14:36 AM

So you're the bastard that won't move from the left lane even though you're going way too slow for it.

If I'm doing 80, and some guy comes up on me, I get over as soon as I can, unless he starts being a dick. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

GoCougs

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=10358.msg533694#msg533694 date=1186588807
So you're the bastard that won't move from the left lane even though you're going way too slow for it.

If I'm doing 80, and some guy comes up on me, I get over as soon as I can, unless he starts being a dick.?

No - that's not what I said in the least. I stated that when I find myself in the position that the right lane is travelling under the speed limit, I will not dive in and out of it to accommodate someone who insists on driving well above the limit in the left lane.

Raza

Quote from: GoCougs on August 08, 2007, 10:40:58 AM
No - that's not what I said in the least. I stated that when I find myself in the position that the right lane is travelling under the speed limit, I will not dive in and out of it to accommodate someone who insists on driving well above the limit in the left lane.

Oh.  That's not too bad at all.  My apologies. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

L. ed foote

Quote from: Champ on July 27, 2007, 11:45:07 AM
People have a natural tendancy to drive near others.  It is really obvious on the more rural interstates between major cities.  There are a ton of packs of cars, but hardly any individual cars.  Which is great for me, because I like to be the individual since it is safer than sitting in a pack.

Great for LE too, having you running in between packs  :lol:
Member, Self Preservation Society

Eye of the Tiger

Champ

Quote from: L. ed foote on August 11, 2007, 08:12:40 PM
Great for LE too, having you running in between packs :lol:
Which is ironic, because that is the safest time to speed.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Champ on August 13, 2007, 09:40:49 PM
Which is ironic, because that is the safest time to speed.

Like that time I got a ticket for 83 in a 70 at 2am with no other traffic for miles. :rage:

Champ

Quote from: NACar on August 13, 2007, 09:43:01 PM
Like that time I got a ticket for 83 in a 70 at 2am with no other traffic for miles. :rage:
Exactly.  So the sweet speed limits I never follow in traffic (when it's the most dangerous) because LEO aren't on the highway as much, but I follow them when no traffic at all (least dangerous)  because you are easy to pick out.

Raza

Quote from: Champ on August 14, 2007, 01:31:06 PM
Exactly.? So the sweet speed limits I never follow in traffic (when it's the most dangerous) because LEO aren't on the highway as much, but I follow them when no traffic at all (least dangerous)? because you are easy to pick out.

It's so ass backwards, but that's the way you have to do it.  When you're running in traffic, it's more of a numbers game anyway. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i