Very short review of a Golf 5

Started by pommes-t, July 31, 2007, 04:48:23 AM

pommes-t

To sum it up: I am not impressed.

The other day I had to take the A6 to our dealer, because there was a misfunction of the CD-player. So I used the time to talk to a sales-woman and ordered a testdrive, which I made on Friday.

The car was a Golf 5 with some extras, 6 speed automatic and the 1,6 FSI engine (102hp). I wanted to testdrive an engine that wasn't too slow for daily use, but still economic. Well this engine was nothing of it. Of course, as a car-enthusiast I have the heavy-right-foot disease...

I kicked that car and checked out the tiptronic and the sportsgear. What shall I say? Even when I wanted to accelerate only a little bit, the engine was SCREAMING, but nothing happened. This car was damn slow. The 6 speed wasn't bad at all, but the Tiptronic is useless, because it still shifts down automatically when accelerating, although you don't want it too. Even when I was accelerating "normally" the car was about to rev up to 5000+rpm. But I would have been down with that engine if the fuel consumption had been okay. But it wasn't. In the first time when I really kicked it I got  20mpg, which is worse that our A6. What a shitty engine!

The rest of the car was as great as expected: The seats, the chassis, the steering, the roadholding, the brakes, the interior: Superb.

AltinD

I shall not speak, my heavy and fully loaded in options Passat has an anemic 115 HP 8 valves engine. It doesn't help with the fuel consuption either: I average close to 11 l/km and I drive mostly highway but the hardworking A/C contributes more then 10% on that  :banghead:

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

Raza

102bhp to pull 3000 pounds mated to an automatic?  It's not Fiat Panda. 

I'm looking forward to a Rabbit with 170bhp!

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

heelntoe

Quote from: AltinD on August 03, 2007, 02:33:59 PM
I shall not speak, my heavy and fully loaded in options Passat has an anemic 115 HP 8 valves engine. It doesn't help with the fuel consuption either: I average close to 11 l/km and I drive mostly highway but the hardworking A/C contributes more then 10% on that  :banghead:
might want to get that checked.
@heelntoe

AltinD

Quote from: heelntoe on August 03, 2007, 03:03:16 PM
might want to get that checked.

What I should check?

Is nothing out of ordinary actually. I live in a very hot climate and the A/C is working hard for some 9 months a year.  Since I've been driving the same route in 5 1/2 years, I can say that now after 136,000 kms, the fuel consumptions becouse of car aging has increased less then 5%.

Oh, and I do every service and maintainance work, including oil/filter change, ONLY to the local VW dealer.

heelntoe

it takes 11 liters of fuel to travel 1 km?
or is it 11 l/100km?
@heelntoe

AltinD

AltinD

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=10418.msg529028#msg529028 date=1186174768

I'm looking forward to a Rabbit with 170bhp!

Make that 200HP and you got yourself a 5 doors GTI (with DSG :P), that for me it is hundreds times better looking then the 3 door version.

Laconian

Quote from: heelntoe on August 03, 2007, 03:17:23 PM
it takes 11 liters of fuel to travel 1 km?
or is it 11 l/100km?

:lol:
Were you thinking, "well, he lives in an oil-producing country..."? :lol:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

heelntoe

yes. :lol:
ther are some times when i feel my scooter gives me worse fuel economy then a boeing 747.
those are the times when i have to walk it to the neartest gas station. :lol:
@heelntoe

AltinD

Hey we still pay $1.7 for gallon  :devil: :lol:

... by the other hand we pay European prices for cars. Every big V8 powered luxury car or SUV cost north of $100k here.  :banghead: 

FlatBlackCaddy

I just did a short review of the rabbit, imagine the timing.

To sum up my review....

Its a VW, its underpowerd, its shite

:mask:

NomisR

Quote from: AltinD on August 03, 2007, 04:11:12 PM
Hey we still pay $1.7 for gallon :devil: :lol:

... by the other hand we pay European prices for cars. Every big V8 powered luxury car or SUV cost north of $100k here. :banghead:

Can you just pick up an abandoned Mucielago on the side of the street or something?

Laconian

Quote from: AltinD on August 03, 2007, 04:11:12 PM
Hey we still pay $1.7 for gallon  :devil: :lol:

... by the other hand we pay European prices for cars. Every big V8 powered luxury car or SUV cost north of $100k here.  :banghead: 

Pah! Mere pennies for an oil sheik!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

SVT_Power

Quote from: NomisR on August 03, 2007, 05:08:52 PM
Can you just pick up an abandoned Mucielago on the side of the street or something?

:lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna