2008 Bentley Continental GT Speed

Started by 1 BAD 7, July 31, 2007, 11:37:20 PM

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Tave on August 01, 2007, 10:13:52 AM
Hmmm. You're the first person I've heard call it ugly.

Well let Yaw be the second. I've seen it in person numerous times... it doesn't get better.

And Kayani, it's taking me all the strength in the world not to call you the biggest idiot of all time... I know you can't fathom in your feeble brain that lower unsprung weight and rotational mass could be beneficial to a car's performance so I won't bother explaining... but I WILL say there is a reason F1 cars aren't on 22" rimzzzzzzzzzz... and it's not just the rules governing the sport

Tave

Quote from: sportyaccordy on August 01, 2007, 12:24:47 PM
Well let Yaw be the second. I've seen it in person numerous times... it doesn't get better.

I've probably seen it in person more than I've seen it in print. It was a very popular car in Scottsdale.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

BimmerM3

I'm with Chris and Tave on this one. I've always loved Conti GTs and I'd love to own one. Sure, there are probably other cars I'd buy first, but if I already had a die-hard sports car, maybe I could take the Conti to the office.

Quote from: JYODER240 on August 01, 2007, 11:23:31 AM
If someone wants to buy one for the status and image then they can go ahead because they aren't buying it because they want a fun and involving car. There are much better choices for that. The Ford GT, F430, DB9, Gallardo, 911 Turbo, etc. are all better choices. The car is built for people who want the image of owning such a car it's not built for the driver.

Why do you think that people buy Ferraris, Aston Martins, and particularly Lamborghinis? For the vast majority of buyers, they're just as much of a status symbol as any other car. IMO, Lamborghinis are the flashiest cars made today. Why do you think that everyone on MTV Cribs has one?

And for the few buyers who don't buy them as status symbols, I don't see why people who like sports cars should deserve to spend 150k on a car any more than someone who likes a Camry. A Ferrari F430 is better than a Miata just like a Bentley GT is better than a Camry. They're just made for different buyers.

ChrisV

Quote from: NACar on August 01, 2007, 12:23:25 PM
Are you related to Kayani by any chance? Read it again you incoherent buffoon. I said there are people who get off on that kind of stuff, but I'm not one of them.

Yes, but yore the one being fucking INSULTING about it, fucker.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Raza

Quote from: Tave on August 01, 2007, 12:24:33 PM
Hmmm, vehicles with few, if any, objective advantages over the one in question. Interesting....

That still doesn't answer the "why" in my question, as I refuse to take cost into consideration when comparing two cars so expensive to begin with.

And BTW, MSRP on the CL 65 is $179,600

Conti GT is $169,990

Wowza!  I didn't know it was so expensive.

I still don't like the Conti GT. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Tave on August 01, 2007, 12:26:58 PM
I've probably seen it in person more than I've seen it in print. It was a very popular car in Scottsdale.

It looks like a bar of soap with chrome accents... a '96 Taurus coupe, if you will.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: ChrisV on August 01, 2007, 12:29:59 PM

scuse me, who's being insulting?  :confused:

Quote from: ChrisV on August 01, 2007, 12:17:29 PM
Then you wouldn't have any "fun" driving my BMW. But *I* do. So don't be argumentative

about it because you cannot understand what the appeal might be for someone ELSE.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

JYODER240

Quote from: BimmerM3 on August 01, 2007, 12:27:24 PM

Why do you think that people buy Ferraris, Aston Martins, and particularly Lamborghinis? For the vast majority of buyers, they're just as much of a status symbol as any other car. IMO, Lamborghinis are the flashiest cars made today. Why do you think that everyone on MTV Cribs has one?

And for the few buyers who don't buy them as status symbols, I don't see why people who like sports cars should deserve to spend 150k on a car any more than someone who likes a Camry. A Ferrari F430 is better than a Miata just like a Bentley GT is better than a Camry. They're just made for different buyers.

The differences are the Ford GTs, F430s, Gallardos, etc are built for the driver. They're built to be driven. A Continental GT is for the image. I know people will buy the other cars just beacause they are exotic. Some would buy the Elise for the same reason but the Elise isn't built for those people. IMO the Continental GT is.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Tave

Quote from: JYODER240 on August 01, 2007, 03:53:21 PM
The differences are the Ford GTs, F430s, Gallardos, etc are built for the driver. They're built to be driven. A Continental GT is for the image. I know people will buy the other cars just beacause they are exotic. Some would buy the Elise for the same reason but the Elise isn't built for those people. IMO the Continental GT is.

There's plenty of people who like to "drive" in manners different from what you're talking about.

Hence the demand for cars like the Conti GT, CL 65, DB9, etc...

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

1 BAD 7

Your logic is always as bogus as your outright claims :confused:.

Show us one of the cars that you mentioned below that is a true GT coupe with back seats as roomy as Bentley GT coupe. The Ford GT, F430, Gallardo you mentioned are two seater sports cars that have no back seats genius they are not true coupes so comparing them to Bentley GT is sort of moronic. The ditto goes for DB9 or Porsche 911 Turbo the back seats are almost non existant. Atleast compare oranges to oranges and not apples to oranges. :nono:

Have you driven a Bentley GT I doubt you have to make such comments that it is not an involving car. It offers very decent performance in its class and most of the cars you mentioned below are also bought for outright prestige and maybe only 1%-2% owners of F430's, GT40, Gallardo, 911 turbo or DB9 buy them to track them. Most of them are driven arround town or back and forth to country clubs. I have always found your logic to be flawed much like your statement that lower profile tires are not good :rolleyes:

Quote from: JYODER240 on August 01, 2007, 11:23:31 AM
If someone wants to buy one for the status and image then they can go ahead because they aren't buying it because they want a fun and involving car. There are much better choices for that. The Ford GT, F430, DB9, Gallardo, 911 Turbo, etc. are all better choices. The car is built for people who want the image of owning such a car it's not built for the driver.

Comparing a Conti GT to an Aveo is absurd. Of course its going to be more fun to drive. For 150k it should be, but at that price there are much better choices.

For great deals on all your traveling/entertainment and automotive [Nissan, Chrysler, Dodge] buying needs visit.

www.KayaniTravel.com

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 1 BAD 7 on August 01, 2007, 05:21:37 PM

Show us one of the cars that you mentioned below that is a true GT coupe with back seats as roomy as Bentley GT coupe. The Ford GT, F430, Gallardo you mentioned are two seater sports cars that have no back seats genius they are not true coupes so comparing them to Bentley GT is sort of moronic. The ditto goes for DB9 or Porsche 911 Turbo the back seats are almost non existant. Atleast compare oranges to oranges and not apples to oranges. :nono:

Have you driven a Bentley GT I doubt you have to make such comments that it is not an involving car. It offers very decent performance in its class and most of the cars you mentioned below are also bought for outright prestige and maybe only 1%-2% owners of F430's, GT40, Gallardo, 911 turbo or DB9 buy them to track them. Most of them are driven arround town or back and forth to country clubs. I have always found your logic to be flawed much like your statement that lower profile tires are not good :rolleyes:

fixed

1 BAD 7

ChrisV, dont bother with him because his and few of his buddies attitude doesnot surprise me as they love throwing insults and want to be rude on every chance they get all the while shoving their opinions down others throat. Then when you disagree with them they start going arround disrespecting you. It just goes to show what kind of class these people have.

How rude/moronic/childish they can get is evident from his chidish acts above. I think he must be smoking too much of that good stuff.

Quote from: ChrisV on August 01, 2007, 12:29:59 PM

For great deals on all your traveling/entertainment and automotive [Nissan, Chrysler, Dodge] buying needs visit.

www.KayaniTravel.com

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 1 BAD 7 on August 01, 2007, 05:36:04 PM
ChrisV, dont bother with him because his and few of his buddies attitude doesnot surprise me as they love throwing insults and want to be rude on every chance they get all the while shoving their opinions down others throat. Then when you disagree with them they start going arround disrespecting you. It just goes to show what kind of class these people have.

How rude/moronic/childish they can get is evident from his chidish acts above. I think he must be smoking too much of that good stuff.

fixed again

1 BAD 7

Seriously how old are you cause you act like a 2 year old.

Quote from: NACar on August 01, 2007, 05:33:01 PMYour logic is always as bogus as your outright claims .

Show us one of the cars that you mentioned below that is a true GT coupe with back seats as roomy as Bentley GT coupe. The Ford GT, F430, Gallardo you mentioned are two seater sports cars that have no back seats genius they are not true coupes so comparing them to Bentley GT is sort of moronic. The ditto goes for DB9 or Porsche 911 Turbo the back seats are almost non existant. Atleast compare oranges to oranges and not apples to oranges.

Have you driven a Bentley GT I doubt you have to make such comments that it is not an involving car. It offers very decent performance in its class and most of the cars you mentioned below are also bought for outright prestige and maybe only 1%-2% owners of F430's, GT40, Gallardo, 911 turbo or DB9 buy them to track them. Most of them are driven arround town or back and forth to country clubs. I have always found your logic to be flawed much like your statement that lower profile tires are not good?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
fixed

www.KayaniTravel.com

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 1 BAD 7 on August 01, 2007, 05:41:24 PM
Seriously how old are you cause you act like a 2 year old.

Such a waste of time, I'm tired of fixing ur shit, man. You can stop acting like an ignorant bigot anytime now.

1 BAD 7

:growup:

Quote from: NACar on August 01, 2007, 05:43:19 PM
Such a waste of time, I'm tired of fixing ur shit, man. You can stop acting like an ignorant bigot anytime now.

www.KayaniTravel.com

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 1 BAD 7 on August 01, 2007, 05:45:02 PM
:growup:

Keep it coming, Kayani. I want to hear what you have to say. Please explain it to me.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 1 BAD 7 on August 01, 2007, 05:21:37 PM

Honestly, there's a lot of pigheadedness going on in both camps here.

However, a sports car is traditionally defined as a two-seat open car that can in an pinch, be raced. A car with a fixed hard roof is definitely not an open car, but a GT. None of the cars you've mentioned are "true" sports cars, they are GTs, and are clearly coupes. The DB9 is most definitely in the same class as the Conti, and should be compared as such.

That being said, I think the Bentley is one sexy beast.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Danish

Wow I didn't see this development coming :huh:

Nick and Kayani breaking up?! :confused:
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

footoflead

Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Eye of the Tiger

Kayani needs to keep to himself his ignorant hatred of all things less blingy. It is quite obvious that in his mind, the worth of anything is defined entirely in dollars. Not to mention all the claims he makes that are counter to even the most basic Newtonian physics. Kayani, please tell me, why do you even bother?

footoflead

Quote from: NACar on August 01, 2007, 06:14:30 PM
Kayani needs to keep to himself his ignorant hatred of all things less blingy. It is quite obvious that in his mind, the worth of anything is defined entirely in dollars. Not to mention all the claims he makes that are counter to even the most basic Newtonian physics. Kayani, please tell me, why do you even bother?
+1
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

the_koof

Jesus guys. Calm the fuck down.

I don't particularly like the Continental GT but just because some people buy the Continental GT for the image like some rappers, athletes and Super Sweet 16 girls for examples doesn't mean that ALL of them are bought for the image. Using that logic you could say the same about many cars from Lexi, Benzes to Mustangs to Porsches, just so they can be seen in one. There are owners who actually enjoy the car and use it for how Bentley intended. I know I would enjoy a Bentley.

I personally would take an Arnage T and Flying Spur over the GT but thats me. I like the "old money" Bentleys more.
"If you only work on the days you feel good, you won't get much done in your life."

Danish

Quote from: the_koof on August 01, 2007, 07:06:10 PM
Jesus guys. Calm the fuck down.

I don't particularly like the Continental GT but just because some people buy the Continental GT for the image like some rappers, athletes and Super Sweet 16 girls for examples doesn't mean that ALL of them are bought for the image. Using that logic you could say the same about many cars from Lexi, Benzes to Mustangs to Porsches, just so they can be seen in one. There are owners who actually enjoy the car and use it for how Bentley intended. I know I would enjoy a Bentley.

I personally would take an Arnage T and Flying Spur over the GT but thats me. I like the "old money" Bentleys more.

I bought my Corolla for the image :huh: (it has a sunr00f!)

The Conti GT may be a nice car but I'd never get one. I have this weird thing against cars that I think look.... big.
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

1 BAD 7

Very true that pure sports cars by strict definitions are two-seat open cars that can be raced. But as far as Bentley vs F430, Gallardo, GT40 goes they are in totaly different class of cars. One is a coupe that can easily seat four while others are 2 seaters. It is like comparing S2000 to G35 coupe two different class of cars.

As for DB9 it has rear seats but the Bentley is better and less cramped in rear seats the roof is only issue as it slopes down. But good luck trying to get in the back seats of DB9. Dont get me wrong I love DB9 but its rear seats are useless.

Infact here is quote from C/D regarding DB9 "The DB9 has nicely shaped rear seats, but no adult would want to go there."

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 01, 2007, 05:53:32 PM
However, a sports car is traditionally defined as a two-seat open car that can in an pinch, be raced. A car with a fixed hard roof is definitely not an open car, but a GT. None of the cars you've mentioned are "true" sports cars, they are GTs, and are clearly coupes. The DB9 is most definitely in the same class as the Conti, and should be compared as such.

That being said, I think the Bentley is one sexy beast.

www.KayaniTravel.com

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 1 BAD 7 on August 01, 2007, 08:15:12 PM
Very true that pure sports cars by strict definitions are two-seat open cars that can be raced. But as far as Bentley vs F430, Gallardo, GT40 goes they are in totaly different class of cars. One is a coupe that can easily seat four while others are 2 seaters. It is like comparing S2000 to G35 coupe two different class of cars.

As for DB9 it has rear seats but the Bentley is better and less cramped in rear seats the roof is only issue as it slopes down. But good luck trying to get in the back seats of DB9. Dont get me wrong I love DB9 but its rear seats are useless.

Infact here is quote from C/D regarding DB9 "The DB9 has nicely shaped rear seats, but no adult would want to go there."

Honestly now, this is a pure pimp ego wagon. How many people are buying one for the back seat?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

ro51092

Quote from: sportyaccordy on August 01, 2007, 12:24:47 PM

And Kayani, it's taking me all the strength in the world not to call you the biggest idiot of all time... I know you can't fathom in your feeble brain that lower unsprung weight and rotational mass could be beneficial to a car's performance so I won't bother explaining... but I WILL say there is a reason F1 cars aren't on 22" rimzzzzzzzzzz... and it's not just the rules governing the sport

I think it looks like a balloon on wheels.

1 BAD 7

I think those people are buying it for much the same reason why someone would pick a G35 coupe over S2000. I mean if they can afford a Bentley I am pretty sure they can afford a Ferrari or Lambo. But they wanted a large luxury coupe with useable rear seats in a crunch that is stylish and seriously fast.

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 01, 2007, 08:29:22 PM
Honestly now, this is a pure pimp ego wagon. How many people are buying one for the back seat?

www.KayaniTravel.com

deesea

I like the Bentley line up as of now, the Arnage, Azure, and the C GT are all great looking, and yeah they are land yachts, thats mainly because thats probably bentleys aim with all their cars, super luxurious and still respectively fast if need be. Sure this may not apply to everyone, but then for a car at that price, it already rules out the poor, and whoever's left must be rich enough to not care about wonderful driveability.

Rich people who are huge car enthusiasts who care about fun to throw around cars and everything seriously would have already bought that Mitsu Evo, or the BMW and what not. The bentley is for luxury, and grand touring (hence the GT). and like 1 bad said, they would have definately bought the Ferrari or lambo already.

As for this new GT, I really don't like the front...the grill + everything REALLY looks like a pig...
So I'm Gonna start a revolution from my bed - Noel Gallagher

JYODER240

Quote from: Tave on August 01, 2007, 04:26:50 PM
There's plenty of people who like to "drive" in manners different from what you're talking about.

Hence the demand for cars like the Conti GT, CL 65, DB9, etc...

Yes, and I think that cars like the CL65, DB9, and 612 Scag. are better choices.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*