Mazda6 GT Wagon vs. Magnum RT

Started by SVT666, August 01, 2007, 02:49:17 PM

The Pirate

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

CJ

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Raghavan

Quote from: R-inge on August 02, 2007, 12:39:12 PM
You must sometimes choose between the lesser of two evils.  In this case, an automatic attached to a powerful V8 is the lesser evil.
How is a V6 with 220 hp an evil? :huh:

The Pirate

Quote from: Raghavan on August 02, 2007, 11:53:19 PM
How is a V6 with 220 hp an evil? :huh:

It's a figure of speech.  Don't read it literally.

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Raghavan

Quote from: The Pirate on August 02, 2007, 11:56:55 PM

It's a figure of speech.  Don't read it literally.
Well, i consider automatics to be evil. :lol: :huh:

The Pirate

Quote from: Raghavan on August 02, 2007, 11:59:44 PM
Well, i consider automatics to be evil. :lol: :huh:

Ahh, I forgot.  I generally prefer a manual, but at this point, I'd drive whatever fit my needs and budget.

Panama_Chopster

If you ever have some extra cash laying around.....http://www.superchargersonline.com/product_detail.asp?PartNumber=GS-HMI-20003P

QuoteUpgradeable to 8-10PSIG kit for up to 500 rwhp/450 torque. Normal hand tools, no special tools required. (Dyno tuning is required, for boost upgrade kit.)

FlatBlackCaddy

What size of wagon are you looking for.

It seems a MazdaSpeed3 would work if you could give  up some space(cargo space mainly). In a pinch you could fold down the back seats and have as much room as a 6 wagon.

That would possibly give you the mileage and fun to drive(stick) of a mazda with the speed of a magnum.

Raza

No way a sedan with a pass through is the same as a wagon, cargo space wise.? The 5 door would come close (and my personal pick of the Mazda6 range) but the wagon is always going to be more practical.

I know you think he should get a Passat wagon, FBC.? I suggest we suggest it.?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rich

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=10444.msg528610#msg528610 date=1186152647
No way a sedan with a pass through is the same as a wagon, cargo space wise.?

The Speed3 is a hatch, the Passat isn't :huh:
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Raza

Quote from: HotRodPilot on August 03, 2007, 08:53:18 AM
The Speed3 is a hatch, the Passat isn't :huh:

:banghead:

I read "Mazdaspeed6".?

And I meant Passat wagon. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rich

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=10444.msg528616#msg528616 date=1186152893

I read "Mazdaspeed6".?

And I meant Passat wagon.?

It's ok.  I didn't even know VW sold a Passat wagon here :huh:
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Raza

Quote from: HotRodPilot on August 03, 2007, 09:15:19 AM
It's ok.? I didn't even know VW sold a Passat wagon here :huh:

B5 and B6!  The B6 2.0T is even sold with a stick, but like the sedan, the 3.6 is not. 

I think both the 1.8T and 2.8 B5s were sold with a stick as well.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

FIU Panther

You want to be pushed or pulled?

In a Magnum you can light up the rear tires.

Smoke'm if you got'em!  :ohyeah:
2007 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL

FoMoJo

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 01, 2007, 03:47:31 PM
Does anyone know what the Mazda aftermarket is like?? Is there anything short of a turbo kit that will increase the power of the Mazda?
Steeda makes some performance parts for the Duratec 30 (for the Fusion)...don't know whether they could be applied to a Mazda6.  Mainly intake and exhaust.
"Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth" ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=10444.msg528610#msg528610 date=1186152647
No way a sedan with a pass through is the same as a wagon, cargo space wise.? The 5 door would come close (and my personal pick of the Mazda6 range) but the wagon is always going to be more practical.

I know you think he should get a Passat wagon, FBC.? I suggest we suggest it.?

I've never thought of the passat wagon(wouldn't the jetta be more in the price range), anyway reliability aside i don't see what more the jetta wagon would give him over the 6 wagon. Both would handle well and have pretty much the same performance, all he would end up doing is paying more for a nicer interior and possibly a more problomatic vehicle.

With a new 6 coming out in a little while i'm guessing you can walk all over the salesman and get an awesome price for a nice car, the speed3 would be alittle harder to get (now, wait a few months they will be giving them away just like the speed6). As for the magnum, its a chrysler....i'm sure deep discounts are presend as well as low interest rates.

Price wise it would be hard to go wrong with either.

Raza

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on August 03, 2007, 12:08:12 PM
I've never thought of the passat wagon(wouldn't the jetta be more in the price range), anyway reliability aside i don't see what more the jetta wagon would give him over the 6 wagon. Both would handle well and have pretty much the same performance, all he would end up doing is paying more for a nicer interior and possibly a more problomatic vehicle.

With a new 6 coming out in a little while i'm guessing you can walk all over the salesman and get an awesome price for a nice car, the speed3 would be alittle harder to get (now, wait a few months they will be giving them away just like the speed6). As for the magnum, its a chrysler....i'm sure deep discounts are presend as well as low interest rates.

Price wise it would be hard to go wrong with either.

I thought he was looking used, so a 2004.5 B5 would be in his range, easily. 

But you're right.  The MS3 seems like a very good compromise.  Almost as practical as the Mazda6, and quicker around a track than the Dodge, and it's a stick.

Evo lapped the MS3 faster than the 130i 3 door. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: R-inge on August 03, 2007, 12:14:55 PM

I wouldn't even consider the Magnum, as awesome as it may be, because it's an automatic.  At this point, no matter what he chooses, he will have regrets about what he buys.  But, I know I'd rather have a manual transmission in a well tuned FWD car than a RWD car whose only advantage is rear drive and space. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

S204STi

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=10444.msg528757#msg528757 date=1186165312
I wouldn't even consider the Magnum, as awesome as it may be, because it's an automatic.? At this point, no matter what he chooses, he will have regrets about what he buys.? But, I know I'd rather have a manual transmission in a well tuned FWD car than a RWD car whose only advantage is rear drive and space.?

Just banging my head at the missed manner of speech.  Though I agree, the single factor that swayed what vehicle I purchased was the availability of a manual transmission.