2o6

Seems to be my dream car.

High Redline (6700rpm)

5-speed Manual

Roomy

Affordable

Decent on gas

Touring Model has LSD.

So in a few years, This could be my ride...... and it looks great!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-INFINITI-G20-CARFAX-CERTIFIED-SUPER-CLEAN_W0QQitemZ320142236011QQihZ011QQcategoryZ31841QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
This Generation is Good too, although older, it has a higher redline.

Danish

There was a guy at C/D named "SHAWN" who actually swapped a SR20DET into his G20.... They are nice cars
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

FlatBlackCaddy

The older gen(last picture) has what is often viewed as the better generation of 2.0L(SR20). It is also lighter and more driver focused than the later models.

What you would want is a mid 90's G20T(if you want that style), the T had a few more options and had a LSD. They are excellent cars and handle very nicely.

My friend had a early G20, and i have always wanted a nice clean black on black G20T.

Catman

I had one, it was a 99 G20T I believe.  It was very reliable and handled well but gutless.  It was an auto though.

FlatBlackCaddy

SR20 turbo's are al the rage and fit in anything that has a SR20 with little to no effort.

Personally i would have done the rarer more expensive swap. I don't remember who but a major site/tuner put the SR20VE into a old G20.

The SR20VE was from a newer(early 2000) japanese market pulsar performance model.

The VE was pretty much a standard 2.0 bottem end with a variable valve head on it. I believe it was good for about 220HP and 8000RPMS, hot little motor and good power without a turbo. Those G20's arent that heavy so even the stock 2.0's move them pretty good.

the Teuton

Quote from: Danish on August 01, 2007, 09:31:40 PM
There was a guy at C/D named "SHAWN" who actually swapped a SR20DET into his G20.... They are nice cars

They had SR20s in them from the get-go, which is why I wouldn't mind having one of those little, underpowered luxury cars.  :ohyeah:
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

2o6

Hmmn, this may be my first car................

Danish

Quote from: the Teuton on August 01, 2007, 09:45:05 PM
They had SR20s in them from the get-go, which is why I wouldn't mind having one of those little, underpowered luxury cars.  :ohyeah:

He swapped in the JDM SR20DET, per his sig, IIRC

the Teuton

Quote from: Danish on August 01, 2007, 10:05:38 PM
He swapped in the JDM SR20DET, per his sig, IIRC

Other than the "T" part, is there much of a difference in the engine?  Forged internals?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Danish

Quote from: the Teuton on August 01, 2007, 10:08:30 PM
Other than the "T" part, is there much of a difference in the engine?  Forged internals?

I'd assume the bottom end is stronger for the turboed motors but honestly... :huh:

Onslaught

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this car known for being VERY slow?

JYODER240

If that's your dream car you're having the wrong kind of dreams.

It would make a great first car though.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

the Teuton

Quote from: JYODER240 on August 01, 2007, 10:35:26 PM
If that's your dream car you're having the wrong kind of dreams.

It would make a great first car though.

SR20 = ricer's wet dream.  The only thing that could make it better is VTEC. 

Still, the G20 was a very underutilized car and Nissan didn't explore its full potential on the USDM market.  If they had, the Primera/G20/Pulsar would have been a mighty good car.

pommes-t

hmmmm... Here this car was offered as the Nissan Primera. What I think is funny here is the fact that everybody here sees this car as a typical boring japanese family-car, without any big qualities, besides its reliability. And this one is not sportive at all. Ricers here have many wet dreams, but this car doesn't show up in those. We have many japanese-car-tuners, but a Primera? Only very, very few. Should be even more rare than Enzos on our streets.

That doesn't say you shouldn't go for it if you feel like. I actually would consider it, too. It IS reliable, cheap, economic and can be found with low mileage in good condition easily.

Panama_Chopster

Yeah, I just think "meh, a Primera".

Seeing one is about as exciting as a Tercel.

ifcar

Quote from: pommes-t on August 02, 2007, 01:26:21 AM
hmmmm... Here this car was offered as the Nissan Primera. What I think is funny here is the fact that everybody here sees this car as a typical boring japanese family-car, without any big qualities, besides its reliability. And this one is not sportive at all. Ricers here have many wet dreams, but this car doesn't show up in those. We have many japanese-car-tuners, but a Primera? Only very, very few. Should be even more rare than Enzos on our streets.

That doesn't say you shouldn't go for it if you feel like. I actually would consider it, too. It IS reliable, cheap, economic and can be found with low mileage in good condition easily.

You don't see it as anything special because your average car is smaller, lighter, and more agile than our average car.

However, I never thought much of the second-generation G20 myself. That was a forgettable car.

IrishGuy

I test drove one a few years ago (auto) and found it to be very gutless.
2022 Toyota 4Runner Limited

Raza

Get a Cobalt SS Supercharged. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

S204STi

So, why would you buy an overpriced, dudded up Sentra again?

ChrisV

Quote from: R-inge on August 02, 2007, 07:54:46 AM
So, why would you buy an overpriced, dudded up Sentra again?

Because they are no longer overpriced, nor Sentras. In fact, G20s can be had VERY cheaply as they depreciated heavily. Didn't anyone read FBCs comments on them???

We never got the Primera, which was a much more basic trim than the G20. The G20 was a good, solid small luxury car with one of Nissan's better small engines, and has the potential to be both fun AND comfortable, as well as economical to buy and own.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Raza

A friend of mine had one in high school.  She still might.  She likes it. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

How can you all say no to an LSD, and a Mod ready engine?

2o6

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=10448.msg527447#msg527447 date=1186058712
Get a Cobalt SS Supercharged.?

I won't have that kind of money.

afty

In a way, the G20 was the '90s equivalent of the TSX.  Small luxury sedan with a 4-cylinder, focused on sportiness and handling.  The G20 was pretty underpowered, though.  The same SR20 that moved a 2400 lb. SE-R with ease didn't do as well with a 2900 lb. sedan.

Laconian

It didn't feel luxurious to me at all. My former boss had a series of three G20's because it was the only car that could fit his nearly seven foot self. Besides that, it felt just as plush as my dad's Corolla. :P
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

jayeshks

Quote from: pommes-t on August 02, 2007, 01:26:21 AM

I thought the old Primera was lauded, at least in the UK, for its handling?  Plain to look at but fun to drive. 

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on August 02, 2007, 09:01:33 AM

I won't have that kind of money.

Yeah, I wasn't thinking.

Steal a Cobalt SS Supercharged.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

S204STi

Quote from: ChrisV on August 02, 2007, 08:08:44 AM
Because they are no longer overpriced, nor Sentras. In fact, G20s can be had VERY cheaply as they depreciated heavily. Didn't anyone read FBCs comments on them???

We never got the Primera, which was a much more basic trim than the G20. The G20 was a good, solid small luxury car with one of Nissan's better small engines, and has the potential to be both fun AND comfortable, as well as economical to buy and own.

I might be wrong, but somehow I remember them being mechanically identical to the Sentra.  Even some of the interior trim was carried over or so minimally changed that it was visually almost the same. :huh:

Panama_Chopster

B15 Sentra and first-gen Nissan Almera are the near clones.

But at least I think the last G20, which was a Primera rebadge, was very different from the Sentra.

These names are confusing. :banghead:

jayeshks

Sunny=Almera=Sentra
JDM Primera=EU Primera=Altima

The G20 is closer to an Altima than anything else