C/D Full Test: M3 "The bar has been raised again"

Started by MexicoCityM3, August 03, 2007, 05:38:19 PM

MexicoCityM3

"M is for Magnificent: Perfection has a price, and it's probably worth it. Get in line now."

"For 20 years and three generations, BMW?s high-performance M3 has stood out as the ultimate of Ultimate Driving Machines, an icon on the level of the Porsche 911 and Chevrolet Corvette."

"Although the 2008 BMW M3, which goes on sale next spring, is the absolute state of the art in engine and chassis technology, it remains the soulful driving machine that made its predecessors perennial Car and Driver 10Best favorites. And although the M3?s refined manners draw a closer comparison to Bruce Banner, there is still a monster lurking just beneath the surface. "

"There?s enough low-end grunt that it?s easy to forget how much the engine can be wrung out. It?s almost natural to shift before the redline because, well, most V-8s would destroy themselves at that high an engine speed. Keep a left foot on the dead pedal, though, and the M3 will run to its limiter as easily as a hummingbird flaps its wings. In our limited test, the M3 charged to 60 miles an hour in 4.4 seconds. That?s 0.4 second quicker than the last M3 we tested, despite a slippery road surface and hurried test schedule. Expect the ?08 to be even quicker when we get a chance to conduct a full road test."

"Of course, the M3 works fine in third gear, too, and that?s what makes this new car like its forerunners?it does everything well. Fast corners, slow corners, accelerating, or braking, it?s just sensational. There?s a playful, forgiving nature to the M3 that belies its extreme abilities in the same way that a tiger cub can be cuddly-cute one moment and ferocious the next. The M3 is fun to drive fast, but it?s even more fun to drive faster. There?s no starting point where the M3 comes alive, and there?s no ragged edge where the M3 switches from tossable to treacherous."

"Highs: Insanely high-revving engine, menacing hood bulge, balanced chassis.

Lows: Expensive, overly complicated driver interface and redundant buttons.

The Verdict: The bar just got raised again."

Call 911? :pullover:. I am hyperventilating. :lol:

Full test: http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtests/13604/tested-2008-bmw-m3.html
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

SVT_Power

yeah except it looks like shit compared to the E46 M3.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

NomisR

I wish they would get rid of the i-Drive... but then again, even before the i-Drive days, the dash wasnt really that user friendly either with the tiny ass buttons. 

SVT_Power

Quote from: NomisR on August 03, 2007, 06:09:05 PM
I wish they would get rid of the i-Drive... but then again, even before the i-Drive days, the dash wasnt really that user friendly either with the tiny ass buttons. 

I haven't tried i-drive but i didn't find the non-i-drive interiors hard to use. Granted I've only driven two BMW's - X5 and 330Ci, but I didn't think it was hard to use the buttons
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

MexicoCityM3

I wish they would get rid of the i-Drive... but then again, even before the i-Drive days, the dash wasnt really that user friendly either with the tiny ass buttons.?

First time ever I heard something like that. Would you prefer Fisher-Price designed dashes? :rolleyes:
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

sportyaccordy

"It's no E30"

Sounds better than the initial reviews I've read. I can't wait to see how this stacks up against the upcoming C63 and RS4/5

Damn just a 0-60 time and no quarter mile times or trap speeds.  Can't wait till the numbers come in for this thing.

1 BAD 7

Seems like they are really impressed with it. :praise:

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on August 03, 2007, 05:38:19 PM
"M is for Magnificent: Perfection has a price, and it's probably worth it. Get in line now."

"For 20 years and three generations, BMW?s high-performance M3 has stood out as the ultimate of Ultimate Driving Machines, an icon on the level of the Porsche 911 and Chevrolet Corvette."

"Although the 2008 BMW M3, which goes on sale next spring, is the absolute state of the art in engine and chassis technology, it remains the soulful driving machine that made its predecessors perennial Car and Driver 10Best favorites. And although the M3?s refined manners draw a closer comparison to Bruce Banner, there is still a monster lurking just beneath the surface. "

"There?s enough low-end grunt that it?s easy to forget how much the engine can be wrung out. It?s almost natural to shift before the redline because, well, most V-8s would destroy themselves at that high an engine speed. Keep a left foot on the dead pedal, though, and the M3 will run to its limiter as easily as a hummingbird flaps its wings. In our limited test, the M3 charged to 60 miles an hour in 4.4 seconds. That?s 0.4 second quicker than the last M3 we tested, despite a slippery road surface and hurried test schedule. Expect the ?08 to be even quicker when we get a chance to conduct a full road test."

"Of course, the M3 works fine in third gear, too, and that?s what makes this new car like its forerunners?it does everything well. Fast corners, slow corners, accelerating, or braking, it?s just sensational. There?s a playful, forgiving nature to the M3 that belies its extreme abilities in the same way that a tiger cub can be cuddly-cute one moment and ferocious the next. The M3 is fun to drive fast, but it?s even more fun to drive faster. There?s no starting point where the M3 comes alive, and there?s no ragged edge where the M3 switches from tossable to treacherous."

"Highs: Insanely high-revving engine, menacing hood bulge, balanced chassis.

Lows: Expensive, overly complicated driver interface and redundant buttons.

The Verdict: The bar just got raised again."

Call 911? :pullover:. I am hyperventilating. :lol:

Full test: http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtests/13604/tested-2008-bmw-m3.html

For great deals on all your traveling/entertainment and automotive [Nissan, Chrysler, Dodge] buying needs visit.

www.KayaniTravel.com

sportyaccordy

Quote from: 565 on August 04, 2007, 03:24:41 PM
Damn just a 0-60 time and no quarter mile times or trap speeds.  Can't wait till the numbers come in for this thing.
Mid 12s, high 100s?

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 565 on August 04, 2007, 03:24:41 PM

Quote from: sportyaccordy on August 04, 2007, 06:10:58 PM
Mid 12s, high 100s?

This is what C/D got on their first drive:

"Dropping the hammer from a standstill, we blasted to 60 mph in 4.4 seconds, 0.4 second quicker than the previous car, with the quarter-mile dispatched in 12.9 seconds at 111 mph, an even larger, 0.7-second gain. The surface wasn?t ideal, however, and we expect even better numbers once we get an M3 to our usual test track. Even so, that?s already enough to outrun the $69,785 Audi RS 4."
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

cawimmer430

This is like the first positive review, eh?  :lol:

I think this thing looks hot. Better than that POS called the Lexus IS-F. <--- You reading this Treppy...  :devil:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MexicoCityM3

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 04, 2007, 07:40:10 PM
I think this thing looks hot. Better than that POS called the Lexus IS-F. <--- You reading this Treppy...? :devil:

No to mention that other POS called the C63 AMG. :zzz:
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

the_koof

Should handily shit stomp the IS-F.

The E92 M3 sounds absolutely incredible. Can't imagine what it must be like revving that V8 to 8400 RPM and taking it through some switchbacks, chicanes, and tight esses. Just wish it didn't have iDrive.
"If you only work on the days you feel good, you won't get much done in your life."

cawimmer430

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

1 BAD 7

For great deals on all your traveling/entertainment and automotive [Nissan, Chrysler, Dodge] buying needs visit.

www.KayaniTravel.com

TBR

I just hope the sedan doesn't get the awful hood bulge and please make idrive optional. Then I could read the reviews with interest, but, as is, I just can't get excited.

Loro

Not sure why everyone gets so bent about i-Drive. I've driven with it several times and thought it was simple. Not quick, but simple to use. If I was driving with it on a regular basis I could work it without thinking. It reminds me of my car stereo. There was a high learning curb at first, but now it's like typing with 1 hand...

SVT_Power

Quote from: Loro on August 05, 2007, 12:21:20 AM
Not sure why everyone gets so bent about i-Drive. I've driven with it several times and thought it was simple. Not quick, but simple to use. If I was driving with it on a regular basis I could work it without thinking. It reminds me of my car stereo. There was a high learning curb at first, but now it's like typing with 1 hand...

It seems people who actually OWN a car with i-drive don't mind it. But it's usually the people that don't own a BMW that complain about it  :lol:

TBR

It's ugly, that is my problem and owning one won't change my opinion on it.

JYODER240

I would disagree with it being an icon on the level with a 911 or Corvette.

It seems to be a good drive atleast on paper. I just wish it wasn't ugly.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

280Z Turbo

I'm sure you could get used to iDrive, but it's just the answer to a question nobody asked.

GoCougs

Highs: Insanely high-revving engine, menacing hood bulge, balanced chassis.

I've never understood the fascination with high-revving engines for simply being nothing other than high revving.

It's a necessary byproduct, not a trait to aspire to.

Rich

Quote from: GoCougs on August 05, 2007, 10:25:10 AM

I've never understood the fascination with high-revving engines for simply being nothing other than high revving.

The sound a high revving engine makes is fantastic.

Even the pushrod lumps in Nextel Cup cars make my heart race at 9,000 RPM
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: GoCougs on August 05, 2007, 10:25:10 AM

High revving + wide, flat, torque band lets the driver control torque to the wheels very finely over a large speed range (in each gear) which helps in handling. That applies to the E46 too BTW.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Loro on August 05, 2007, 12:21:20 AM

Exactly my thoughts. A close friend has a 745i and I had it for a weekend. A bit tough at first, easy after. Not a big deal and even cool if you are into tech (as I am).
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

Submariner

i-Drive only worsened the situation.  Even the horribly complicated satnav interface on my 7 is a walk in the park compared to the i-Drive nightmare.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

GoCougs

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on August 05, 2007, 11:34:07 AM
High revving + wide, flat, torque band lets the driver control torque to the wheels very finely over a large speed range (in each gear) which helps in handling. That applies to the E46 too BTW.

I'm quite familiar with the notion. However, C&D said nothing along any of those lines in their summary.

Inasmuch as I am an extreme critique of pushrod powerplants, the Corvette and Viper crowds have got the "high RPM for RPM sake" notion beat hands down.

When necessary (as in a 4.0L V8 with 400+ hp isn't going to happen at 5,000 RPM), sure. But 8,400 RPM shouldn't be celebrated in and of itself.

nickdrinkwater

It wasn't a full road test, so don't get too excited  :devil: