Found a car

Started by TBR, August 05, 2007, 07:16:41 PM

TBR

Quote from: Danish on August 05, 2007, 08:19:02 PM
Best advice of the thread

I certainly don't want to cut it too close, the only situation where this wouldn't happen is if I found something I really liked locally (within 30 miles). Then I would spring on it immediately, otherwise I'll just save up, buy a car with all of my own money, and then sell my current car and put all of that back into the bank.

ifcar

"Keep in mind that your insurance premiums are going to increase as well, as you'd moving up to a newer, more valuable car."

Maybe not. A Honda Prelude can't be cheap for a teenage male to insure. Something with a higher proportion of more mature drivers might be cheaper even if it's newer.

(I don't have any numbers in front of me, I'm just speculating.)

TBR

Your speculation is, surprisingly enough, entirely inaccurate. The Prelude actually costs as much to insure as the 1998 Durango and slightly less than the 1995 Neon. Also, evidently insurance really drops once a vehicle hits 5 years old, so I ideally I am looking at 2002-2003 models here.

TBR

Quote from: IrishGuy on August 05, 2007, 08:20:41 PM
Did you have a lot of trouble with yours?

Other than the engine misfiring (sparkplug wires: $26) and gauges failing (simple and free fix) within 5 miles of the previous owners home it was great, for the 3 months and 6,000 miles I had it. I have three problems with a Neon: 1. They're chick car. Sorry dude, but it's true. 2. The design was basically untouched from 1995 through 2005, except for cosmetic changes. 3. I was involved in a fairly minor accident in mine and it caused $6500 worth of damage, I don't know that I could feel safe in one after that.

ifcar

Quote from: TBR on August 05, 2007, 08:25:14 PM
Your speculation is, surprisingly enough, entirely inaccurate. The Prelude actually costs as much to insure as the 1998 Durango and slightly less than the 1995 Neon. Also, evidently insurance really drops once a vehicle hits 5 years old, so I ideally I am looking at 2002-2003 models here.

That may be. I've never owned a vehicle newer than 5 years old.

Have you run the numbers on any cars you're looking at? And will you be getting full coverage?

TBR

Almost certainly. If I get this job and it pays significantly more than my current one then I might put full coverage on the Prelude, anything that costs more than $5000 I will definitely get comp on.

I haven't run the numbers, before I buy anything I will get them checked by my agent.

ifcar

"2. The design was basically untouched from 1995 through 2005, except for cosmetic changes"

The 2000 redesign was pretty thorough.

TBR

Really? From what I remember hearing it was just a major facelift, guess I am wrong. They're still chick cars though :P

FlatBlackCaddy

I'm confused, i read the thread and saw no mention of the tibby, yet in your sig it says you want one.

Did i miss something.

TBR

It doesn't really met my criteria right now, too expensive and not good enough gas mileage.

FlatBlackCaddy

are you still thinking about the VW

TBR

Not really, though further research (ebay buy it now prices) make it look like $8500 would actually be on the high side. I am definitely going to try to drive it, if it is still there when I get a chance. If it isn't, maybe I'll take the '03 S60 T5 5MT that is across the lot for a spin (I don't know where this dealership found these cars, MTs are very rare especially in more luxurious cars).

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: TBR on August 05, 2007, 09:04:27 PM
Not really, though further research (ebay buy it now prices) make it look like $8500 would actually be on the high side. I am definitely going to try to drive it, if it is still there when I get a chance. If it isn't, maybe I'll take the '03 S60 T5 5MT that is across the lot for a spin (I don't know where this dealership found these cars, MTs are very rare especially in more luxurious cars).

Hmm, that volvo sounds nice.

Sounds like the guy buying the cars for the lot likes the sportier stuff.

the Teuton

In all reality, you're not going to average 25 mpg in any Impreza.  On my last trip to Columbus (150 miles) I only averaged 28 mpg.  You don't buy Imps for fuel economy.  But I will recommend one for reliability definitely, even if my old engine blew a head gasket. 
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

TBR

He also has a taste for Land Rovers (a Discovery and a Range Rover), but most of it is typical East Texas: domestic branded trucks and suvs, and cushy midsize/large sedans.

TBR

Quote from: the Teuton on August 05, 2007, 09:09:13 PM
In all reality, you're not going to average 25 mpg in any Impreza.  On my last trip to Columbus (150 miles) I only averaged 28 mpg.  You don't buy Imps for fuel economy.  But I will recommend one for reliability definitely, even if my old engine blew a head gasket. 

Even in 95% highway driving?

the Teuton

Quote from: TBR on August 05, 2007, 09:13:06 PM
Even in 95% highway driving?

Stick, 5th gear the whole time, yes, you can average close to 30 mpg.  Also, buy as new as you can, unless you want to stick yourself with a 2.2 liter engine.  The EJ22 is widely considered the most reliable engine ever built by the company.  The DOHC 1996-98 engines were known for headgasket failure, and the SOHC were, too, to a much, much smaller degree.  The '02s and up have hardly anything ever go wrong with them.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SaltyDog

Get yourself a nice 5sp Imprezza 2.5 and call it a day.  I wouldn't strongely advise against getting a Jetta, and an expensive one at that.  Cars like that like to bite their owners in the ass.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

TBR

My mom averages about 26 in her Outback with a similar city/highway mix. I do drive faster, but she uses the A/C more and obviously the Outback is a heavier car.

CJ

TBR, are you in Texas?

TBR

Quote from: SaltyDog on August 05, 2007, 09:30:27 PM
Get yourself a nice 5sp Imprezza 2.5 and call it a day.  I wouldn't strongely advise against getting a Jetta, and an expensive one at that.  Cars like that like to bite their owners in the ass.

I am confused. If the bug eye Imprezas weren't so ugly then I would. Longhorn's GF might be selling her '99 2.5RS, but the price seems steep (towards the top of my budget).

TBR

SaltyDog

Quote from: TBR on August 05, 2007, 09:34:57 PM
I am confused. If the bug eye Imprezas weren't so ugly then I would. Longhorn's GF might be selling her '99 2.5RS, but the price seems steep (towards the top of my budget).

If I didn't get the Ranger I probably would have gotten one.  Maybe's there something aftermarket that will deuglify it for you.  I strongely recommend looking into it.  Perhaps the seller of the one you mentioned is willing to negotiate.  Slap on some good rubber, that's all you need, and you have a very fine ride

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

TBR

She would have to negotiate a lot, $6.5k would be about the most I would pay for it and $8k was the price mentioned.

The Pirate

Quote from: Danish on August 05, 2007, 08:19:19 PM
:confused:

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

The confused smiley threw me for a loop at first, but I figured it out, with a bit of help from the rock on guys.  :praise:  Per my research, that was a good price.  Lucky for me, small cars with manual trannies are a tough sell in this area.

Pair a motivated seller (he'd already bought a new car and was very ready to get rid of the Protege) with me being a cash customer, and it worked out very well IMO.  It helped that I was in no hurry to buy a car, and was able to wait him out, so to speak.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

CJ

Quote from: TBR on August 05, 2007, 09:35:21 PM
CJ, yes.

Which part of the state?

I would go for that Jetta or Volvo.

The Pirate

Quote from: ifcar on August 05, 2007, 08:22:57 PM
"Keep in mind that your insurance premiums are going to increase as well, as you'd moving up to a newer, more valuable car."

Maybe not. A Honda Prelude can't be cheap for a teenage male to insure. Something with a higher proportion of more mature drivers might be cheaper even if it's newer.

(I don't have any numbers in front of me, I'm just speculating.)

Good point.  It slipped my mind that the Prelude could be considered a sporty car. 
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

sportyaccordy

I hate Jettas; they're cramped, unreliable and overpriced.

For 7K you could probably find a decent late 90s 3-series coupe, some kind of DOHC VTEC vehicle, a 240SX, etc., if you're not pressed for time and can search.

Or you could just take that money and make your Prelude like new (new suspension parts mainly, any fixes you have to do)... there's no way you'll get $4K for a '95 Prelude with 327K on the clock; I sold my last Accord with an H22, built tranny, Neuspeed/Koni suspension, yadder yadder for 2K (I could have held out and got 2.5K though)... it had 270K on the clock but probably no more than 60-70K on the motor and suspension.

Raza

I like Jettas, but I'd get a 1.8T. 

I think you should look at a Protege, though, as Jettas can be iffy.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on August 06, 2007, 06:11:09 AM
I hate Jettas; they're cramped, unreliable and overpriced.

For 7K you could probably find a decent late 90s 3-series coupe, some kind of DOHC VTEC vehicle, a 240SX, etc., if you're not pressed for time and can search.

Or you could just take that money and make your Prelude like new (new suspension parts mainly, any fixes you have to do)... there's no way you'll get $4K for a '95 Prelude with 327K on the clock; I sold my last Accord with an H22, built tranny, Neuspeed/Koni suspension, yadder yadder for 2K (I could have held out and got 2.5K though)... it had 270K on the clock but probably no more than 60-70K on the motor and suspension.

You call the Jetta unreliabe and overpriced, and then you say he should get an old 3 series, not exactly considered the pinnacle of reliability, and often priced strongly on the used market, and the 240SX, which is definitely overpriced, and not known as a very spacious car.  Make up your mind, dude. 

Also, your market, being in NYC, is going to be more saturated than his, which leads to lower used car prices. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.