Found a car

Started by TBR, August 05, 2007, 07:16:41 PM

TBR

Quote from: sportyaccordy on August 06, 2007, 06:11:09 AM
I hate Jettas; they're cramped, unreliable and overpriced.

For 7K you could probably find a decent late 90s 3-series coupe, some kind of DOHC VTEC vehicle, a 240SX, etc., if you're not pressed for time and can search.

Or you could just take that money and make your Prelude like new (new suspension parts mainly, any fixes you have to do)... there's no way you'll get $4K for a '95 Prelude with 327K on the clock; I sold my last Accord with an H22, built tranny, Neuspeed/Koni suspension, yadder yadder for 2K (I could have held out and got 2.5K though)... it had 270K on the clock but probably no more than 60-70K on the motor and suspension.

I paid $3800 which was book value (for the odometer reading, not for the miles on the engine, it was $5k+ for the latter). Since then it has gotten new tires, new speakers, the timing belt has been changed, and some brake work has been done. I would probably ask $4000 and then take no less than $3500 (I wouldn't include the stereo unless they were willing to pay $3800 or so), it isn't an unreasonable price, at least not for this area. And, there are less than 100k on the engine. The transmission is my concern, that would be a $1000+ fix (I am not doing the work myself, I don't have the time or know-how) I would think. Modding a car just doesn't make financial sense to me unless it is already a fairly nice car.

There is no such thing as a E36 for under $9k with less than 100k and, of course, there definitely is no such thing as a 2000+ BMW that meets those same criteria.

A nice Integra or 2.3CL might do the trick, but Civic Sis worry me (they all seem to be salvage titled) and the RSX is way out of my price range. And, the 240sx just doesn't appeal to me.

TBR

As for the Jetta being overpriced, not really. They're about the same as Civic EXs of comparable age and miles while being far nicer cars. As noted, the size is perfect for me.

ifcar

Quote from: TBR on August 06, 2007, 10:12:06 AM
As for the Jetta being overpriced, not really. They're about the same as Civic EXs of comparable age and miles while being far nicer cars. As noted, the size is perfect for me.

That's because Civics are also overpriced. ;)

TBR

Much more so than Jettas (in fact, I would argue that the Jetta really isn't overpriced at all), I am just not sure why someone would say a car is overpriced and then turn around and recommend cars that are much more overpriced.

red_shift

Quote from: TBR on August 06, 2007, 10:05:40 AM

There is no such thing as a E36 for under $9k with less than 100k and, of course, there definitely is no such thing as a 2000+ BMW that meets those same criteria.

I found a few for less than $9000 on SFO bay area craigslist :huh:

E36 328i:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/car/390053512.html

E39 540i!

http://www.conticarcare.com/inventory/A210.htm

He he.. V12 750i!

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/car/387235230.html

Have you tried searching in your local craigslist?
Future is electric

2018 Light Blue wrapped Tesla Model 3
2013 Dark blue Tesla Model S

All electric, no compromises!

CJ

Which part of the state are you in?  That could help me help you in finding a car.

TBR

CJ

Raghavan

Can't you find a Tib for under $9k? Or is that also impractical?

FIU Panther

2007 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL

TBR

Quote from: Raghavan on August 06, 2007, 11:21:34 PM
Can't you find a Tib for under $9k? Or is that also impractical?

Not a GT V6 model and I wouldn't get one with the I4. As far as practicality is concerned, that hatch probably saves it.

TBR

Quote from: FIU Panther on August 07, 2007, 07:21:01 AM
Tc?

Don't really like them and it is a Toyota so good luck finding one for under $9k.