Found a car

Started by TBR, August 05, 2007, 07:16:41 PM

TBR

Let me explain my situation. I have a car worth $4000 and $3500 in the bank. At this moment in time I make about $1300 a month post tax (could be going up a little or drastically, depending on whether or not I get the job mentioned in GT) and have no bills other than gas and entertainment. I don't need a new car, but the one I have sure is old with real high miles (327k with around 100k on the engine, but I am real worried about the transmission). Additionally, it isn't practical at all, although I could probably cram all of my crap into it come college time I don't know that I want to have to face the decision of whether or not to take something because of a lack of room. As far as college is concerned, financially I am not really worried about it. I should get at least some scholarships and my parents will help me some as well (they have money that has to be spent on education and my brother isn't getting a penny of it because he got scholarships that paid his way (and then lost them...)). Since I don't need a car the game plan is to hang back and only move if I find something I really like.

So, a couple of weeks ago I saw a VW Jetta. Well, I stopped by the same lot earlier today and it happened to be unlocked and after sitting in it I really like it (especially the size, it feels perfect). It is a 2001 GLX VR6 5MT (unfortunate, but this way I won't have to worry about turbos and it is faster) with 90k miles. KBB says it is worth $13k, but a quick autotrader check reveals that similar cars are selling $9-10k throughout the country and considering the area I suspect it will go for less around here (hoping $8.5k) since neither VWs nor MTs are considered desirable here. I'll call Monday for a price. But, should I be concerned about reliability here or not? I know some people have had real problems with VWs, but others have had perfect experiences.

Note- I would borrow the difference from my parents, interest free. It would likely take me no more than 6 weeks to pay back.

ifcar

You're choosing a car that has known electrical problems, problems that are expensive to fix and possibly difficult to fix in your area. If you do get it, make sure to save for potential repair costs, and have a backup plan for getting to work.

That said, I would not recommend an out-of-warranty Jetta. (Obviously enough.)

TBR

But is it as high of a reliability risk as a 12 year old Honda with three and a half times the miles? That is my main question I guess.

93JC

Koko, you wouldn't recommend anything but some boring Asian-brand econo-box turd.

The Pirate

Quote from: TBR on August 05, 2007, 07:16:41 PM
Let me explain my situation. I have a car worth $4000 and $3500 in the bank. At this moment in time I make about $1300 a month post tax (could be going up a little or drastically, depending on whether or not I get the job mentioned in GT) and have no bills other than gas and entertainment. I don't need a new car, but the one I have sure is old with real high miles (327k with around 100k on the engine, but I am real worried about the transmission). Additionally, it isn't practical at all, although I could probably cram all of my crap into it come college time I don't know that I want to have to face the decision of whether or not to take something because of a lack of room. As far as college is concerned, financially I am not really worried about it. I should get at least some scholarships and my parents will help me some as well (they have money that has to be spent on education and my brother isn't getting a penny of it because he got scholarships that paid his way (and then lost them...)). Since I don't need a car the game plan is to hang back and only move if I find something I really like.

So, a couple of weeks ago I saw a VW Jetta. Well, I stopped by the same lot earlier today and it happened to be unlocked and after sitting in it I really like it (especially the size, it feels perfect). It is a 2001 GLX VR6 5MT (unfortunate, but this way I won't have to worry about turbos and it is faster) with 90k miles. KBB says it is worth $13k, but a quick autotrader check reveals that similar cars are selling $9-10k throughout the country and considering the area I suspect it will go for less around here (hoping $8.5k) since neither VWs nor MTs are considered desirable here. I'll call Monday for a price. But, should I be concerned about reliability here or not? I know some people have had real problems with VWs, but others have had perfect experiences.

Note- I would borrow the difference from my parents, interest free. It would likely take me no more than 6 weeks to pay back.

How much could you realistically get for your car?  Also, I'd strongly recommend leaving a couple thousand in the bank for repairs and a general reserve.  Keep in mind that your insurance premiums are going to increase as well, as you'd moving up to a newer, more valuable car.

VWs seem to be hit or miss as far as reliability, how much of risk do you want to take?  If it was me, and reliability was at the top of my list, I'd look at something else.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

TBR

It isn't at the top of my list, but it certainly is a concern.

$4000 is relatively reasonable for my car, depending on whether or not I include the stereo (I would sort of hate to since I have $400 into it, including a year long subscription to xm).

TBR

Okay, let's do this:

Budget: $9k
Year: 2000+
Miles: -100k
Size: midsize or smaller
Doors: 3,4, or 5
Gas mileage: 25+

Other priorities:
1. Handling
2. Style
2. Reliability
4. Power

ifcar

Quote from: 93JC on August 05, 2007, 07:22:48 PM
Koko, you wouldn't recommend anything but some boring Asian-brand econo-box turd.

But seriously, I don't tend to recommend the major Asian brands used. Too expensive, too high mileage. Toyota, Honda, even Nissan means too much to too many people on the used market.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: 93JC on August 05, 2007, 07:22:48 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually I'm with Iffy on this one. :huh: That's the very same reason I was recommending against the VWs in Maksx's thread.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

TBR

Also, take the Focus off the drawing table, I already know about all of its good qualities and it is on my mental list already.

There is just nothing that jumps out at me, I need ideas of what I am looking for.

ifcar

Quote from: TBR on August 05, 2007, 07:22:35 PM
But is it as high of a reliability risk as a 12 year old Honda with three and a half times the miles? That is my main question I guess.

But it's not a trade, it's a trade plus $4,000 or so. If you're dumping the Prelude for reliability concerns (even as it runs fine), I'd think you'd want to be sure its replacement would be reliable. And an unknown used VW is not like that.

TBR

I definitely see your point, it just looks so pretty. :P

The Pirate

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

93JC

Quote from: ifcar on August 05, 2007, 07:28:24 PM

Fair enough, I forgot your ridiculous obsession with the Ford Focus and Ranger.

ifcar

Quote from: TBR on August 05, 2007, 07:28:21 PM
Okay, let's do this:

Budget: $9k
Year: 2000+
Miles: -100k
Size: midsize or smaller
Doors: 3,4, or 5
Gas mileage: 25+

Other priorities:
1. Handling
2. Style
2. Reliability
4. Power

Depending on what you think of styling, the Protege and Focus should be high on your list. If you like the handling enough, you can look at Elantras. For $9k, you're looking at 06 Focuses and Elantras, and the cream of the crop of 03 Proteges.

The Pirate

Yeah, you should be able to get a bomber Protege for that price.  I paid just under $5K for my '01 with 91K miles

ifcar

Quote from: 93JC on August 05, 2007, 07:34:51 PM

Fair enough, I forgot your ridiculous obsession with the Ford Focus and Ranger.

The Ranger? I only said that it was a better basic work truck than the Tacoma. I wouldn't want one.

I don't personally expect to buy any Japanese cars, as American (and now, Korean) makes are just such superior buys on the used market.

TBR

Quote from: ifcar on August 05, 2007, 07:34:57 PM
Depending on what you think of styling, the Protege and Focus should be high on your list. If you like the handling enough, you can look at Elantras. For $9k, you're looking at 06 Focuses and Elantras, and the cream of the crop of 03 Proteges.

What about a Spectra? The Elantra, well, I am not in love. But, if I find a 5-spd GT for a good price I would definitely give it a look. The Protege is also very nice and definitely on my list.

CJ

I hate the sedan.  Try and find a hatch!

TBR

The Elantra hatch is hideous imho.

I am still going to try to find the time to drive that Jetta (hard to do since I'll be gone three days this week and am working 39 hours the 4 days that I will be in town), hopefully it won't be sold when I get back.

SVT_Power

just get something that won't die on you 3 days into ownership
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

ifcar

Quote from: TBR on August 05, 2007, 07:41:40 PM
What about a Spectra? The Elantra, well, I am not in love. But, if I find a 5-spd GT for a good price I would definitely give it a look. The Protege is also very nice and definitely on my list.

The Spectra, except in the Spectra5/SX version, is one of the least-agile compact cars sold, down there with the Forenza/Reno. It's a comfort-biased car in the common versions, and I'm not sure if you could find a 5-speed Spectra5 or SX in your price range and in your area.

TBR

I was definitely think Spectra5, should've specified, but they do seem to be quite rare.

IrishGuy

Neon.
2022 Toyota 4Runner Limited

Danish

Quote from: The Pirate on August 05, 2007, 07:24:06 PM

How much could you realistically get for your car?  Also, I'd strongly recommend leaving a couple thousand in the bank for repairs and a general reserve.  Keep in mind that your insurance premiums are going to increase as well, as you'd moving up to a newer, more valuable car.

Best advice of the thread
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

Danish

Quote from: The Pirate on August 05, 2007, 07:36:24 PM
Yeah, you should be able to get a bomber Protege for that price.  I paid just under $5K for my '01 with 91K miles

:confused:

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

TBR

I have had a Neon before, it was a good car and a fantastic deal ($1400, almost perfect condition, 83k :( ), but if I go the economy car route I would rather get a Protege, Focus, or Elantra. But, for under $3-4k, there aren't many better deals to be found than the Neon.

IrishGuy

Quote from: TBR on August 05, 2007, 08:19:47 PM
I have had a Neon before, it was a good car and a fantastic deal ($1400, almost perfect condition, 83k :( ), but if I go the economy car route I would rather get a Protege, Focus, or Elantra. But, for under $3-4k, there aren't many better deals to be found than the Neon.

Did you have a lot of trouble with yours?
2022 Toyota 4Runner Limited