R&T comments on C6 08 steering feel.

Started by 565, August 07, 2007, 09:29:51 AM

"Everything is sensed through the steering wheel. I hate to say it, but it feels -heaven help us- Porsche-like. In fact, a Porsche with better balance and power delivery."

Champ

Eye of the Tiger

Like what... a Porsche 928, or a Porsche 944?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Quote from: NACar on August 07, 2007, 09:46:16 AM
Like what... a Porsche 928, or a Porsche 944?

Probably a 911, since they mentioned better balance.  The 944 and 928 were well balanced.

ifcar

C/D wasn't nearly as enthusiastic. They just said it was better than before.

sportyaccordy

Unpossible. The Porsche has a much lighter front end.

Still, I'm sure it's awesome. The C6 Vette always has been and always will be a true sports car and a hell of a bargain.

JYODER240

I briefly drove an 01 911 cab and a 05 Vette back to back yesterday at work and steering feel was probably the biggest difference. The 911 felt excellent even at low speeds it communicated very well. The Vette felt numb in comparison. I couldn't push either very hard but at moderate speeds the Vette felt at best on par with my Z. Thats not to say it isn't better than 90% of other cars on the road but it couldn't match up to the 911. Hopefully the 08 is as good as they say it is.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

the_koof

"If you only work on the days you feel good, you won't get much done in your life."

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

JYODER240

/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

VetteZ06

Quote from: M_power on August 08, 2007, 06:00:09 PM
But not quite as good as a 911 yet

Probably not, but minor differences in steering feel would most certainly not prevent me from choosing a Corvette over a 911. The 911 is a wonderful car, but the Corvette is so awesome in so many ways that I wouldn't be able to resist. A rip-roaring V-8, astoundingly good performance numbers, svelte and sexy styling, the ability to be a daily driver if needed, etc. It's almost hard to believe how good this car has become.

1 BAD 7

I love Porsches. But I have to say the biggest advantage for Vette in my mind is that it is hell of a bang for the buck compared to Porsche. So for a lot more $$$$$ if Porsche offers better refinement and steering feel that is understandable.

For great deals on all your traveling/entertainment and automotive [Nissan, Chrysler, Dodge] buying needs visit.

www.KayaniTravel.com

Here is a link to the review.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=5708

We've finally gotten our hands on the 2008 Corvette. You know, the one with the new LS3 small-block V-8. Compared with its predecessor, the 6.0-liter LS2, there is an increase of bore by 0.06 in., which results in an additional 0.2 liter of displacement. Compression is down to 10.7:1 from 10.9. But even so, the engine is claimed to have improved efficiency while still making more power. These gains are due mostly to technology derived from the Z06's 505-bhp LS7, including its fuel injectors, as well as other improvements like better-flowing heads feeding larger valves that are actuated by offset rockers.

Basic output is 430 bhp at 5900 rpm with 424 lb.-ft. of torque at 4200 rpm. When combined with the optional $1995 performance exhaust system, power is bumped to 436 bhp, and torque to 428 lb.-ft. The system is similar to that on the Z06, but uses 2.5-in. exhaust tubing instead of 3.0 in.

At full wail the 2008 Corvette sounds plenty healthy, yet has a better acoustical clarity than the 2007 model. The foam-rubber skull cap on top of the intake and performance exhaust likely has something to do with this, and the refinement is much appreciated.

A lot of attention has been paid to finishing details, something Corvettes have lacked. Aside from the engine, there are two other major improvements ? the shift linkage and the steering. Both are tighter and more precise. The 6-speed automatic also has been tweaked for quicker shifting. A new option is a 2.73:1 final drive; it is standard on the $1695 Z51 performance package.

Externally, the only visible difference from the 2007 Corvette is a set of optional twin-spoke wheels that mimic those from the Z06. Most changes are under the hood or inside the cockpit; all 2008 models now come standard with XM radio, OnStar and auto-dimming mirrors with a compass.

The $45,170 base price is up just slightly from last year. But a fully optioned Corvette that includes the 4LT Premium Equipment package raises the price by about $2000 over the previous ultimate option package. This includes a much-appreciated interior treatment featuring finely stitched two-tone leather on the dash, door panels and seats. It doesn't feel just like a Corvette anymore, it feels like something special. Future Z06 buyers will be glad to know the Premium Equipment package is available to them as well.

It's clear even from the passenger seat that there is more oomph ahead of the firewall, but it's more subtle than it used to be. Everything is sensed through the steering wheel. I hate to say it, but it feels ? heaven help us ? Porsche-like. In fact, a Porsche with better balance and power delivery.

There is only a slight difference in performance from the LS2 Corvette, as the two cars are still extremely similar. If tested under equal conditions, I'd expect the '08 car to be a tenth or two quicker in the quarter mile, while skidpad and slalom numbers wouldn't likely show a measurable difference.

The Corvette has been getting better with age, and clearly the LS3 is helping it get better, faster.