Mercedes supercar with Viper mule body work.

Started by 565, August 08, 2007, 06:18:54 PM

http://blogs.edmunds.com/Straightline/3189

"You obviously shouldn't put much stock into the sheetmetal of this Mercedes-Benz SLC prototype, but judging by the hardware, performance is a priority for this two-seater. Stalked by spy photographers for two days now, the wraps finally came off this afternoon revealing some Dodge Viper bodywork, a set of massive slotted brake rotors and an incredibly long wheelbase. Some handiwork the night before by KGP yielded a 106 inch measurement from wheel to wheel. The true identity of this Mercedes-built supercar is still in question, but whatever it is will be big and fast for sure.
"

Well it's hard to say anything about the styling obviously, but I wonder where this car will compete.  Will it be an SLR replacement? Or will it be (hopefully) something more affordable to compete with the 911 turbo, R8,  LF-A,  upcoming NSX? 

SVT_Power

so how do we know this isn't a viper replacement?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Eye of the Tiger

I think they should leave the sheet metal just like that!  :rockon:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Quote from: M_power on August 08, 2007, 06:20:54 PM

Cause they don't test Vipers, they just bang them together in the garage.   Duh :rolleyes:  :lol:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: M_power on August 08, 2007, 06:20:54 PM

In Michigan at least, manufacturer license plates can be decoded to find out what manufacturer the car is registered to. Also, a lot of the times the guys driving it around will have logos on their shirts telling you where they work.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NACar on August 08, 2007, 06:21:07 PM
I think they should leave the sheet metal just like that!? :rockon:

Its cool in a Death Race 3000 meets Batman sort of way.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

S204STi

The front end screams Aston Martin AMV8, doesn't it? I dig it.

Raghavan

If they made the hood and front overhang shorter, it'd look perfect.

Pancor

Submariner

Quote from: Raghavan on August 08, 2007, 07:46:48 PM
If they made the hood and front overhang shorter, it'd look perfect.

The overhang appears to be the work of some tacked on hard plastic Camo...

And as for the long hood, remember this is Viper sheet metal, so obviously it's going to have a long hood.  Perhaps the Real car will be different?

I would hope this is an SLR replacement, with at least 500 pounds off the current weight, and another 100 Horsepower or so. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Raghavan

Quote from: Submariner on August 08, 2007, 09:37:57 PM
The overhang appears to be the work of some tacked on hard plastic Camo...

And as for the long hood, remember this is Viper sheet metal, so obviously it's going to have a long hood.  Perhaps the Real car will be different?

I would hope this is an SLR replacement, with at least 500 pounds off the current weight, and another 100 Horsepower or so. 
Nah, i'm saying that if the real car looked like this car with shorter front overhangs and a shorter hood, it'd look awesome. ;)

ChrisV

Quote from: Raghavan on August 08, 2007, 09:49:45 PM
Nah, i'm saying that if the real car looked like this car with shorter front overhangs and a shorter hood, it'd look awesome. ;)

then it would be a Viper. :lol:

And the front overhang is awfully short as it is. Shorter than a Corvette or Ferrari.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...