The LUMINA returns!!!

Started by Vinsanity, August 09, 2007, 05:00:09 PM

Vinsanity

...in nearly as glorious form as the original early-90's model had when it was first released.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51969

maybe GM forgot they were already going to come out with the Pontiac G8 :huh:

Eye of the Tiger

WTF. This is potentially awesome news.  :confused:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

jayeshks

That's the current gen Lumina/Holden Commodore though. GM only sells that model in markets which don't get the Malibu and Impala.  Why would we get all three?

the Teuton

IWantLumina!

That thing is awesome, and if it does come back here, it'll be for fleet sales, I would imagine, so Pontiac doesn't have to sell the G8 as a police car.

Just one question:  Does it have a column shifter?  If it doesn't, I don't want it.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on August 09, 2007, 06:53:52 PM
IWantLumina!

That thing is awesome, and if it does come back here, it'll be for fleet sales, I would imagine, so Pontiac doesn't have to sell the G8 as a police car.

Just one question:? Does it have a column shifter?? If it doesn't, I don't want it.

Column shifter + bench seat = 6-passengers > SUVs and minivans.

Catman

Looks great but it's a mistake to rebadge the G8.  Now the G8 isn't so special to me. :cry:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Catman on August 09, 2007, 06:57:32 PM
Looks great but it's a mistake to rebadge the G8.? Now the G8 isn't so special to me. :cry:

At least by whoring out the Zeta platform to all the GM brands, there is hope that it will stick around for a while.

Danish

Wow, I like how that looks! (i'd tweak the rear end slightly though)
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

Vinsanity

Quote from: NACar on August 09, 2007, 07:01:19 PM
At least by whoring out the Zeta platform to all the GM brands, there is hope that it will stick around for a while.

Good point. I wonder if it would be feasible for GM to make a LWB version and call it the Impala, so that they don't have to deal with this Lumina nonsense.

S204STi

A sporty FWD drive would be a better basis for any USDM Lumina, whereas it would be nice to see the Malibu get RWD.  But hey, I ain't calling the shots.

Secret Chimp

Luminas were good competition for Buicks in terms of being snoozer kings. Really inappropriate name for a RWD platform with performance potential.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

omicron

I would say it's just a Middle-Eastern Lumina that happens to be in the US. GM won't sell the G8 and the Lumina in the same market. The Elizabeth plant doesn't have the capacity to build sufficient Luminas for the US market, assuming a cheaper price than a G8 and Chevrolet's larger distribution potential, especially with the VE ute to come on-stream in a month or two.

Also, you cannot have column shift or bench seats in the Commodore, so I don't imagine they would ever be options for Middle-East Luminas or US G8s. Perhaps if US production occurs in the future, rather than relying on Australian exports, but not now.

omicron

Quote from: Catman on August 09, 2007, 06:57:32 PM
Looks great but it's a mistake to rebadge the G8. Now the G8 isn't so special to me. :cry:

The G8 is just a rebadge of an Australian family hack sedan. :devil:

sportyaccordy

Hopefully they'll have some kind of 'Classic' option package that will include the Luggage Rack and Column Shifter. Do you think the "Euro" version will be able to match the performance of the original?

nickdrinkwater

:lol:

I highly doubt this car will be sold in the United States.

heelntoe

Quote from: omicron on August 09, 2007, 11:27:31 PM
I would say it's just a Middle-Eastern Lumina that happens to be in the US. GM won't sell the G8 and the Lumina in the same market. The Elizabeth plant doesn't have the capacity to build sufficient Luminas for the US market, assuming a cheaper price than a G8 and Chevrolet's larger distribution potential, especially with the VE ute to come on-stream in a month or two.

Also, you cannot have column shift or bench seats in the Commodore, so I don't imagine they would ever be options for Middle-East Luminas or US G8s. Perhaps if US production occurs in the future, rather than relying on Australian exports, but not now.
that's exactly what i was thinking. i think some one privately imported this one.
@heelntoe

Vinsanity

Quote from: sportyaccordy on August 10, 2007, 03:53:57 AM
Hopefully they'll have some kind of 'Classic' option package that will include the Luggage Rack and Column Shifter. Do you think the "Euro" version will be able to match the performance of the original?

I doubt it. The LS motor with the 6-speed manual will never live up to the legendary LUMINOUS high-velocity thrill of the 3.4L V6 matched with the 3-speed auto :lol:

MX793

The car is either one that was privately imported (likely by an Arab diplomat working in the US) or GM imported it to use as a test mule.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Zcarnut

I do drive a Honda (when im mowing my lawn).

Laconian

I'm eagerly awaiting the dust-buster APV variant.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Zcarnut

LOL..Only car ive ever been in where you could open up a ENTIRE newspaper on the dash with room to spare.

Quote from: Laconian on August 10, 2007, 01:14:54 PM
I'm eagerly awaiting the dust-buster APV variant.
I do drive a Honda (when im mowing my lawn).

the Teuton

Quote from: omicron on August 09, 2007, 11:27:31 PM

The cars are pieces of shit then.  Not having bench seats, optional luggage rack, column shift, or heck, even the awesome traction handling abilities of the FWD Eurosport make this car so undesirable.  It's almost as bad as when Porsche went water-cooled for its 911.  Shame...
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Laconian

Lumina EUROsport, the demon of the Autobahn's passing lane!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

USA_Idol

Why doesn't Chevy split their full-size sedan class in two and create a FWD model for the masses, and a purpose-built RWD V8 performance model for those that would rather have that?

The FWD model could be called Lumina.? V6 power only.? Give it a trio of trim levels (LS, LT, LTZ?) and call it good.

The RWD model could be called Impala SS.? V8 power only.

omicron

Quote from: the Teuton on August 10, 2007, 03:47:58 PM
The cars are pieces of shit then. Not having bench seats, optional luggage rack, column shift, or heck, even the awesome traction handling abilities of the FWD Eurosport make this car so undesirable. It's almost as bad as when Porsche went water-cooled for its 911. Shame...

I'm writing to Holden immediately and demanding a wood-panelling option.

giant_mtb

I hate Luminas.  Granted, I pretty much drive one, but I really wouldn't want a car that looks this good to have the same name as the crapbox ones of the 90's.

Vinsanity

Quote from: omicron on August 12, 2007, 01:14:59 AM
I'm writing to Holden immediately and demanding a wood-panelling option.

that would look pretty good on the Ute :ohyeah:

r0tor

one can only hope the legendary combination luggage rack spoiler will return  :ohyeah:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on August 12, 2007, 04:18:38 PM
one can only hope the legendary combination luggage rack spoiler will return? :ohyeah:

:rockon:
The only thing those things were missing were a few more tie-down points. Of course, a couple of eye-screws in the sheet metal always did the trick.