Titan vs Ford Diesels on sand dune climb.

Started by 565, August 11, 2007, 12:12:25 AM

GoCougs

D'oh! Especially the Titan pulling the F-250 out as it got stuck coming downhill.

I couldn't tell exactly the year of the F-250s; the first few years' 7.3L was rated at only 235 hp. Even if these were the newer more powerful engines (6.0, 6.4L), the F-250 crew cab curbs at about 8,100 lbs.

Of course, there's always the possibility that the Titan 5.6L was mega modded, and/or the F-250 drivers weren't in 4Lo, and/or didn't have the tires aired down...

Secret Chimp

The Fords are running at least an extra 3000 pounds over the Titans, if not more. They probably didn't air down their tires; huge pickups are pretty awful choices for off roading, they probably just decided LOL U TK HIM 2 DA DUNES|? with no idea of how it works out there.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Zcarnut

When the Titan climbed the dune BACKWARDS that was insulting enough.But having to drag the one Ford back down was hillarious.
With the lift and tire setup on all these trucks,you would think they should all been able to do it.
I do drive a Honda (when im mowing my lawn).

TheIntrepid

So the imports pretty much pwned the domestic truck market...which is all they had going for them right now.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

SaltyDog

Quote from: TheIntrepid on August 11, 2007, 07:46:38 AM
So the imports pretty much pwned the domestic truck market...which is all they had going for them right now.

And that's a reasonable deduction to make from this single video :tounge:

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: SaltyDog on August 11, 2007, 08:00:41 AM
And that's a reasonable deduction to make from this single video :tounge:

*smartass nod*

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

VetteZ06

Quote from: TheIntrepid on August 11, 2007, 07:46:38 AM

Go drive your Camry.

S204STi

Quote from: GoCougs on August 11, 2007, 12:40:29 AM
didn't have the tires aired down...

The huge dubs with lower profile tires probably didn't help, but I imagine if they dropped their tire pressure they would have made it.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Zcarnut on August 11, 2007, 06:14:05 AM
When the Titan climbed the dune BACKWARDS that was insulting enough.But having to drag the one Ford back down was hillarious.
With the lift and tire setup on all these trucks,you would think they should all been able to do it.

Lift has little to do with it. On sand, tire air pressure can make a huge difference, and its hard to tell from that video who's doing what exactly.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

The fact that all these trucks in this video are (obviously) modified, you absolutely can NOT make a real decision about the Titan being better than the Ford.  That's just stupid.  That's like racing a modded 'Vette against a heavily modded STi, with the STi winning, and then saying that the Subaru is obviously better. 

Cool video, though.

RomanChariot

The diesel's torque is wonderful for towing but they need more horsepower.  Notice how fast the Nissan was able to get up to speed.  The Fords couldn't get up enough speed to make it up the hill.

Check out the Part 2 video.  It looks like the Nissan blows apart its front differential casing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDX_VQA22jo&mode=related&search=

GoCougs

Towing in 4WD, especially 4WD Lo, is never a good idea.

Quote from: RomanChariot on August 12, 2007, 02:55:45 PM
The diesel's torque is wonderful for towing but they need more horsepower.? Notice how fast the Nissan was able to get up to speed.? The Fords couldn't get up enough speed to make it up the hill.

Check out the Part 2 video.? It looks like the Nissan blows apart its front differential casing.

Yeah towing a 8000 pound truck that's stuck in the sand is a bad idea.

S204STi

Quote from: RomanChariot on August 12, 2007, 02:55:45 PM
The diesel's torque is wonderful for towing but they need more horsepower.? Notice how fast the Nissan was able to get up to speed.? The Fords couldn't get up enough speed to make it up the hill.

Check out the Part 2 video.? It looks like the Nissan blows apart its front differential casing.

I've heard of that happening, similar sort of situation where abuse was suspected.  Broke the case like that as well.

Submariner

I can just imagine the droves of import fans right now

OMG LoLZ th3 n1s5aN j5t pWn3d t3h f0rD tH3 t1taN 1z th3 6r3at3st!!!
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Zcarnut

Yes I know the lift itself probably wasnt a large factor (so long as stock ground clearance would have been sufficient which it looked like it would have been).
And I watched part 2 where the Titan guy tore up his front end.But that guy was running it like he hated it!

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 12, 2007, 07:13:20 AM
Lift has little to do with it. On sand, tire air pressure can make a huge difference, and its hard to tell from that video who's doing what exactly.
I do drive a Honda (when im mowing my lawn).

Ron From Regina

Has anyone here actually ever driven a diesel truck on anything other pavement? The front ends are so f'in heavy on them, I would be reluctant to take one off road even on the mildest of conditions.

When I worked for dept of highways, our diesel 2wd 3/4 tonns could get stuck on the soft shoulders of the highway if we weren't careful.