The Rice Thread

Started by the Teuton, August 11, 2007, 04:42:31 PM

SVT_Power

Quote from: deesea on August 21, 2007, 07:50:17 PM
what if some of these cars could actually perform?  :huh:
though i agree most of them probably couldnt, but if the cars actually did perform even if it was some ricey looking civic, would you still call it rice?  :mask:

i thought the definition of rice was all show, no go. Classic example would be eThirteen's TSX.

But the poorly executed ones tend to be categorized as rice.

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

FordSVT

Quote from: M_power on August 21, 2007, 08:17:48 PM
i thought the definition of rice was all show, no go. Classic example would be eThirteen's TSX.

Yeah, there's a guy I see driving around in a lime-green with gold-flakes late-model Eagle Talon TSi. It's a pretty fast car, I'm sure he's got a boost upgrade because it's damn near as fast as my 05 Mustang off the line, but the ground kit was massive and ugly, he had four fog lights on the front, two enormous, non-functional hood scoops + one of those idiotic roof scoops, and yellow and orange pin-striping. And rims that are solid with no spokes and about 20" in diameter, must weigh a ton, waaaay to big for the car. Quick or not, it was definitely one ugly POS. My first reaction is "rice!". Well, that's my second reaction, my first is throwing up a bit in my mouth when I see it.

Ironically it has no spoiler when the stock car has a gigantic bat-wing.

deesea

but if its fast is it still rice?  :confused: wouldn't it just be one fuck ugly pos then?
So I'm Gonna start a revolution from my bed - Noel Gallagher

Soup DeVille

Quote from: deesea on August 21, 2007, 08:51:13 PM
but if its fast is it still rice?? :confused: wouldn't it just be one fuck ugly pos then?

Yes.

If it is trying to look faster than it is, is poorly executed, and laden with cheap tack-on aftermarket crap, then it's rice.

There are an astounding number of riced-out Corvettes in this area.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

SVT_Power

can you say non-asian cars are riced out though? Maybe "wheated out"? :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Soup DeVille

Quote from: M_power on August 21, 2007, 09:02:44 PM

Yes. I think of it as a reference to things that are over-decorated with little or no aesthetic value, al-a the northern Japanese trend of the Dekotora.

Although to be fair, the '70s Superfly look was just as gaudy and completely homegrown.

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

the Teuton

Or kraut.  It all falls under the rice category, though.  Those are just subgenres.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

TheIntrepid

:rolleyes:

I thought that you of all people would like the term "rice", as it pertains to your culture :devil:

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Raghavan

Is his TSX a stick?
And how is his riced?

ChrisV

I remember rice as simply being sport compacts that were done up as race car replicas without any of the performance parts to go along with it. All show and no go also describes '50s customs and lowriders, which aren't rice. Putting stickers for parts you dont' have is rice. Putting a 5 inch exhaust tip on a 1 1/2" stock exhaust is rice. Custom paint and lowering isn't. Unless that custom paint is a race car paint job on a stock econobox.

And yeah, it's rice when it's really poorly done, or done for a joke.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

omicron

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 21, 2007, 09:09:34 PM
Although to be fair, the '70s Superfly look was just as gaudy and completely homegrown.

Wonderful!

TheIntrepid

Quote from: omicron on August 22, 2007, 08:49:10 AM
Wonderful!

I sincerely hope you are being sarcastic, my dear.

omicron

Quote from: TheIntrepid on August 22, 2007, 09:04:57 AM

Absolutely not. The Superfly, the Corvorado; any gaudy Cadillac of the '70s, in fact, are brilliant machines. I'd love to have one.

Raghavan

Quote from: TheIntrepid on August 22, 2007, 09:04:57 AM
Only Omi can pull of the "my dear" things. :nono:

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Raghavan on August 21, 2007, 10:54:15 PM
Is his TSX a stick?
And how is his riced?

Auto, and it's his parents car, and it's riced out. :lol:

omicron

deesea

so based on ChrisV's definition of "rice" that means all those cars featured on magazines like sport compact car, eurotuner, and whatnot are not actually "rice" per se. I've always wondered what you guys would think of those cars featured on those magazines. :huh:

Catman

Soup DeVille

Quote from: omicron on August 22, 2007, 09:09:09 AM
Absolutely not. The Superfly, the Corvorado; any gaudy Cadillac of the '70s, in fact, are brilliant machines. I'd love to have one.

You're an Australian and you know what a Corvorado is?

Eye of the Tiger

Is that like an Eldorado, except also a Corvette?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NACar on August 22, 2007, 04:54:37 PM

They were made by Dunhill Coahworks. Its a Corvette chassis with a combination of replica and real Eldorado body panels on it. The most famous one was owned by the pimp "Whisper" in "Live and Let Die."

TheIntrepid

Quote from: NACar on August 22, 2007, 04:54:37 PM

I thought it would be more like a customized VW Corrado. :huh:

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

TheIntrepid

ChrisV

Quote from: deesea on August 22, 2007, 10:00:27 AM
so based on ChrisV's definition of "rice" that means all those cars featured on magazines like sport compact car, eurotuner, and whatnot are not actually "rice" per se. I've always wondered what you guys would think of those cars featured on those magazines. :huh:

Not my definition, but that of Bryan's Riceboy page, the first page on the Internet dealing with the phenomenon back in the early '90s.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

omicron

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 22, 2007, 04:50:37 PM
You're an Australian and you know what a Corvorado is?

Lordy yes. A Les Dunham special! I find them more desirable than his later Caballista Corvettes, too.

Panama_Chopster

Quote from: deesea on August 22, 2007, 10:00:27 AM

To me there's tuners and there's rice. Tuners have parts that make the car go as fast as it looks, rice is just this

A sorry attempt to make a car look faster than it actually is while still having a stock econocar engine.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: omicron on August 23, 2007, 08:52:47 AM
Lordy yes. A Les Dunham special! I find them more desirable than his later Caballista Corvettes, too.

Wow.

Color me impressed. Next thing you know you're going to start spouting off about the Cadillac wagons built by George Barris for Dean Martin...

deesea

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 23, 2007, 04:18:47 PM
Wow.

Color me impressed. Next thing you know you're going to start spouting off about the Cadillac wagons built by George Barris for Dean Martin...

*whispers* he wants you to start naming em'  :P