FIU Panther is buying a car

Started by FIU Panther, August 13, 2007, 07:41:22 AM

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FIU Panther

Quote from: MX793 on August 13, 2007, 06:24:10 PM
:confused:

Coming from a poor blue collar family it's well paying. Yeah, it's an oxymoron.
2007 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL

ifcar

You're not going to become a millionaire through a government job, but it's comfortable and stable and generally has excellent benefits.

ro51092

Quote from: TheIntrepid on August 13, 2007, 07:43:52 AM
:rage:

SELLOUT ON THE TREP

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Here's what I'd be looking at in that range:

-Volkswagen GTI
-Honda Civic Si
-Mazda6 V6

And please, oh please, don't buy a Scion tC.

Don't buy a Scion tC, but please buy a Camry hybrid.

My choices would be:
-VW GTI
-MS3
-R56 S

IMO, the Civic is overmatched in this category.

Vinsanity

Quote from: ifcar on August 13, 2007, 06:42:28 PM
You're not going to become a millionaire through a government job, but it's comfortable and stable and generally has excellent benefits.

Agree 100%. In my line of work, government jobs are actually quite a bit more lucrative than in the private sector. Alas, in my particular field, there's never have a shortage of competing applicants :lockedup:

MX793

Quote from: FIU Panther on August 13, 2007, 06:37:58 PM
Coming from a poor blue collar family it's well paying. Yeah, it's an oxymoron.

Actually, it kind of depends on the field and if you're working for federal, state or local government.  Law enforcement (you mentioned "the acadamy") can pay pretty well.  IIRC, state troopers in NY start at $50K a year and jump to $65K after one year.  I'd consider that a pretty decent paying job and it's government.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

S204STi

Quote from: MX793 on August 13, 2007, 07:03:28 PM
Actually, it kind of depends on the field and if you're working for federal, state or local government.? Law enforcement (you mentioned "the acadamy") can pay pretty well.? IIRC, state troopers in NY start at $50K a year and jump to $65K after one year.? I'd consider that a pretty decent paying job and it's government.

I would love to make that sort of money...

Eye of the Tiger

Actually, it kind of depends on the field and if you're working for federal, state or local government. Law enforcement (you mentioned "the acadamy") can pay pretty well. IIRC, state troopers in NY start at $50K a year and jump to $65K after one year. I'd consider that a pretty decent paying job and it's government.

Gee golly, it must be nice to be a NY trooper these days. I topped out at $34k after 5 years in the Air Force.
If I ever graduate from college with a BS in mechanical engineering, I can only hope to start around $50k. That's the national average, anyway.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

TBR

Quote from: TheIntrepid on August 13, 2007, 10:54:53 AM
All 3.2/3.5 Intrepids are quick... and I doubt he's going to face the fact that even teh Camry Hybrid is faster than his carl.

I have no problem admitting that many mainstream midsizers are now overpowered, the V6 models are usually complete overkill for family hauling. And, for a sports coupe my car is not particularly fast, I know that and I have no problem admitting it. But, it was the best handling car in its class and would beat the snot out of either one of your cars on an autox course. Speed does not equal excitement and I said nothing about speed in my post.

the Teuton

I would love to tell you to get a new or very slightly used WRX or Evo, but insurance would eat you alive.  What about a TSX or Mini Cooper?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

ro51092

Quote from: TheIntrepid on August 13, 2007, 10:54:53 AM
All 3.2/3.5 Intrepids are quick... and I doubt he's going to face the fact that even teh Camry Hybrid is faster than his carl.

They're quick? Really? That's news to me.

(No offense).

TBR

Quote from: the Teuton on August 13, 2007, 10:23:20 PM
I would love to tell you to get a new or very slightly used WRX or Evo, but insurance would eat you alive.  What about a TSX or Mini Cooper?

WRXs probably aren't that bad (in fact, I recall Roy saying so and he is around the OP's age), but an Evo's insurance would probably eat you alive. Also, don't forget the 9-2x Aero, it can be a steal on the used market and looks better than all but the most recent WRXs (which, at least in Limited trim, will be more expensive).

the Teuton

Quote from: TBR on August 13, 2007, 10:34:18 PM
WRXs probably aren't that bad (in fact, I recall Roy saying so and he is around the OP's age), but an Evo's insurance would probably eat you alive. Also, don't forget the 9-2x Aero, it can be a steal on the used market and looks better than all but the most recent WRXs (which, at least in Limited trim, will be more expensive).

I forgot about the 9-2X Aero completely.  That would be awesome.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SJ_GTI

Actually, it kind of depends on the field and if you're working for federal, state or local government.? Law enforcement (you mentioned "the acadamy") can pay pretty well.? IIRC, state troopers in NY start at $50K a year and jump to $65K after one year.? I'd consider that a pretty decent paying job and it's government.

Staties in NJ do well also. I have a cousin that just started (ie: recently graduated from the academy) and he probably makes close to what I was making ~3 years out of college.

I have a few uncles that are NJ prison guards (er, corrections officers  :lol: ), and they also do very well. I think they are on the same pay scale as state troopers.

The top end of the pay scale isn't that high now. For example, even though I could have more more money right out of college if I went to work for the state (trooper or corrections), I am pretty certain my current pay is well above even what the highest paid officer could make (excluding tons of OT). And as far as I can tell, I still have a lot of room for making more money. The trade off, as you mentioned, is job security. Unless you mess up your job is pretty much a 100% sure thing until you retire, whereas in my job I have to constantly keep getting promoted (or, at least moving horizontally) or I risk being "rationalized."

FIU Panther

I have a pretty decent paying job then.

FIU Panther

Quote from: ro51092 on August 13, 2007, 06:43:33 PM
Don't buy a Scion tC, but please buy a Camry hybrid.

My choices would be:
-VW GTI
-MS3
-R56 S

IMO, the Civic is overmatched in this category.

Insurance on either one of those is going to be sick.

Raza

Quote from: FIU Panther on August 14, 2007, 07:54:14 AM
Insurance on either one of those is going to be sick.

I don't think so.  The GTI is getting pretty expensive, and has less horsepower than your average family sedan nowadays.  I don't like the R56, so I wouldn't recommend it, but I already recommended the MS3.

Did you see my post?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Reliability is as big an issue on the A3 as it would be on any other car.

But you're paying a premium over the GTI for very little benefit.  Had they sold the three door here in 2.0T Quattro with a stick, then I'd look at it for aesthetics and the option of AWD; but as it stands, a 2.0T FWD A3 vs. a GTI, there's no reason, to me, to buy the A3.  Considering the GTI is sold with four doors as well, you can go that route should you decide you need it. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SJ_GTI

At that price your better off with a GTI IMHO. Unless you simply prefer the A3's looks.

VW's come with a 4 year/50k mile warranty new. The GTI comes with practically all the same stuff an A3 does. the only substantial things I think you can get with an A3 and not with a GTI are bluetooth capability and power seats.

You should be able to get a 2006 GTI cheaper than that A3, but overall I will grant you that deal doesn't sound too bad (for an A3). you are probably saving close to ~10k off MSRP.

ro51092

That A3 sounds pretty reasonable.

nickdrinkwater

That G35 looks really nice for the money.  That would be my choice out of what has been put up so far.

Then again I'm a bit biased!

Champ

The 9-2x (aero) would most likely be worth going out of your way to get if it's a nice deal, as if you compare them to the exact same year/mileage WRX (same car) they are usually 3-5k cheaper(!).  That would be worth it to pay $700 to ship it.

the Teuton

Quote from: Champ on August 14, 2007, 01:38:33 PM
The 9-2x (aero) would most likely be worth going out of your way to get if it's a nice deal, as if you compare them to the exact same year/mileage WRX (same car) they are usually 3-5k cheaper(!).  That would be worth it to pay $700 to ship it.

I was wondering how a die-hard Saabophile would feel about the 9-2X.  I now know.

Raza

There's a whole 9-2X forum on his Saab forums. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Since you are lucky enough to live in miami, you don't have to worry about snow.  I've heard some killer deals happening for RX8's, even the more powerful manual versions. 

If you could get one around 25K or lower,  that would be an excellent choice.

Tave

That is a good idea (as well as a personal fave). Do RX-8s get a break on insurance because they're a "sedan?"
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

ro51092

Quote from: Tave on August 14, 2007, 11:20:29 PM
That is a good idea (as well as a personal fave). Do RX-8s get a break on insurance because they're a "sedan?"

I'm sure they do, but the gas mileage and the oil consumption make up for it.

Tave

Aren't they only burning oil through breakin? I also heard mileage increases. The mileage is a concern, but oil is cheap, and it's not like it's burning a quart every 20 feet, so who cares? :huh:

Where's Rotor when you need him?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Champ

There is a 2000 Vig for sale in NY that has the suspension all sorted out, 80k miles, stage 3 (tad over 300hp) for $12.6k

That's what I'd buy, anyways.