FIU Panther is buying a car

Started by FIU Panther, August 13, 2007, 07:41:22 AM

Raza

Quote from: Champ on August 15, 2007, 08:53:38 AM
There is a 2000 Vig for sale in NY that has the suspension all sorted out, 80k miles, stage 3 (tad over 300hp) for $12.6k

That's what I'd buy, anyways.

Link?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Champ

Quote from: Raza on August 15, 2007, 09:14:02 AM
Link?
The one on the Saab forums, if I recall you were the first person to post in the thread.

Silver 4-door, Borbet 5-spoke wheels.

I don't think you can see it without signing up.

ro51092

Quote from: Tave on August 14, 2007, 11:26:22 PM
Aren't they only burning oil through breakin? I also heard mileage increases. The mileage is a concern, but oil is cheap, and it's not like it's burning a quart every 20 feet, so who cares? :huh:

Where's Rotor when you need him?

I hear they need a quart of oil every 3 tankfuls of gas.

Raza

Quote from: Champ on August 15, 2007, 11:31:49 AM
The one on the Saab forums, if I recall you were the first person to post in the thread.

Silver 4-door, Borbet 5-spoke wheels.

I don't think you can see it without signing up.

Oh, that one.  Shame it's a 4 door and not LB or MCY.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tave

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=10632.msg540677#msg540677 date=1187200352
I heard a quart once a month.?

Poppycock.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

southdiver1

Panther...

1: You are in South Florida. LOTS of cops out as of late so, speed should be very low on your "must haves"
2: Same goes for insurance. You are young and single.... Bend over
3: Personally, besides gettng a good, reliable, fuel sipping car, I would keep an eye out for first time buers incentives.
4: Hurricane season. You have already seen what a good hurricane does to the roads here. Maybe a small truck would do you better?
I came into this world kicking, screaming, pissed off, and covered in someone elses blood.
If I do it right, I will leave this world in the same condition.

saxonyron

Congrats on the job!  My 1st job out of college was the USAF as an engineer.  They had the GS5/12 program where they guaranteed you the raises plus the nice bennies.  The best way to work it if you're going Fed is to invest a good chunk of your dough (living at home making > $50k, you should do at least 10%) and manage that on the side.  A buddy of mine in CA does that for the Navy and has put together a hell of a portfolio of real estate in the past 15 years.  Never look at your GS scale as being your sole "pay scale" - use it to your advantage!  I'm sure the money guys on the forum can steer you in that department (SJ-GTI, Lebowski....?)

That being said, I'd be looking used market - maybe CPO.  The CPO world will typically give you a good car, 2-3 yrs old, with a 100k mile warranty, but for a few bucks more ($500 or so) than you'd spend on a used car with a not as good aftermarket warranty.   You could easily score a used A3 like you showed the ad for for well under $25k, and not worry about big repair bills for the next 80,000 miles.  Hell, might as well look for some nice rides - buy a couple years old, and you could be living real well!  I'm thinking A3, A4, G35, Altima 2.5, Maxima, Saab 9-3, Cooper....damn, the list goes on!  Go for something that'll get your pulse raised and put a smile on your face for at least a couple years.  You're in a damn good position in life right now - enjoy it!   :rockon:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

ro51092

They're both automatics, and I think he could find a 2.0T (any car) for that money.

saxonyron

Quote from: ro51092 on August 15, 2007, 08:34:46 PM
They're both automatics, and I think he could find a 2.0T (any car) for that money.

I know - the manuals are harder to find, but they're out there.  I just wanted to show that you can get some nice cars for under $25k as long as you're willing to go used.  Find something with around 30,000 or so, get a 100k mi. warranty, and you can get a real nice car and not worry about the repair bills for years.  That's how I've bought most of my cars.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Rich

South Florida, eh?

It's really flat, so there can't be many twisties... so I wouldn't put much value on outright handling grip.  Lots of sunshine, so how about a convertible?  Used Miatas don't seem to be holding their value very well, and are very inexpensive to insure.  They don't seem to catch the eye of the police much either. 

Used V6 Mustang 'vert.....used Eclipse 'vert... both of them would be fun in south Florida... pile in the friends (read: girls) and go to the beach.

IMO you'd be doing yourself a disservice by getting the RX-8... there aren't any twisties to enjoy the handling that comes at the expense of fuel mileage (rotary).

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

ro51092

Quote from: saxonyron on August 16, 2007, 03:14:51 AM
I know - the manuals are harder to find, but they're out there.  I just wanted to show that you can get some nice cars for under $25k as long as you're willing to go used.  Find something with around 30,000 or so, get a 100k mi. warranty, and you can get a real nice car and not worry about the repair bills for years.  That's how I've bought most of my cars.

You bought the A4 new, right?

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

FIU Panther

Quote from: HotRodPilot on August 16, 2007, 09:20:53 AM
South Florida, eh?

It's really flat, so there can't be many twisties... so I wouldn't put much value on outright handling grip.? Lots of sunshine, so how about a convertible?? Used Miatas don't seem to be holding their value very well, and are very inexpensive to insure.? They don't seem to catch the eye of the police much either.?

Used V6 Mustang 'vert.....used Eclipse 'vert... both of them would be fun in south Florida... pile in the friends (read: girls) and go to the beach.

IMO you'd be doing yourself a disservice by getting the RX-8... there aren't any twisties to enjoy the handling that comes at the expense of fuel mileage (rotary).

No twisties is exactly why my emphasis on torque.

Also no convertible for me, just isn't me... Especially no V6 Mustang.
2007 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL

FIU Panther

I'm second guessing myself on wether I should even consider stick.

Besides my father no one in the house drives stick, nor does my g/f or buddies which makes it pain if I decide to have a few drinks. The biggest fear in my mind is Miami traffic specifically I95, which I take to work everyday. All things to consider.

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far I have a lot of things to consider.

ro51092

If you're gonna go auto, try finding a used GTI with the DSG.

Rich

Used Charger R/T or 300C?

Insurance couldn't be as bad as one of the musclecars for one of them....

I suggested a V6 Mustang since the V8 insurance would be rapage.  But check into the insurance since a Mustang GT would be an awesome car for south florida.

When I lived somewhere that was flat with roads that were in a close to perfect grid pattern (Detroit), I wanted something RWD with a lot of torque, and didn't care about steering feel at all.  When I lived in NY, I wanted something like a MINI.. lightweight, small, nimble/chuckable...  Its funny how the areas we all live in have an affect on what cars we want :praise:
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

saxonyron

Quote from: ro51092 on August 16, 2007, 09:22:59 AM
You bought the A4 new, right?

Well, leased it anyway - but I leased it thru my business.  When I'm buying in my own name, the cheap bastard in me likes to buy a 1 or 2 year old. :lol:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

Raza

Quote from: FIU Panther on August 16, 2007, 10:17:15 AM

Besides my father no one in the house drives stick, nor does my g/f or buddies which makes it pain if I decide to have a few drinks. The biggest fear in my mind is Miami traffic specifically I95, which I take to work everyday. All things to consider.

I've driven stick in the worst traffic imagineable.  It's not hard. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SJ_GTI

Quote from: FIU Panther on August 16, 2007, 10:17:15 AM

Ae you saying they can't drive a stick or just don't drive a stick?  :confused:

Everyone in my family (mom, dad, brothers, even stepdad) can drive a stickshift, even though myself and my youngest brother are the only ones that own sticks. Its hard to imagine people can't drive a stick, unless they simply never tried.  :huh:

FIU Panther

Well I'll be catching some flack for this here but I bought a non enthusiast car.

I got myself a 07' Nissan Maxima SL. It has everything I can possible ask for and more. I am coming from an 00' Intrepid with over 150k miles that was starting to fall apart around me.

I test drove a few cars and took everyone's advice. Then I really asked myself what I was really going to use this car for. The truth is I spend most of my time on the highway and in S.Florida there are no curves there are no back roads all the driving is just cruising; hence I got a cruiser. I wasn't going to take it to any autox nor anything of that nature.

It's a big comfortable sedan which I will be keeping for at least the next 6 years.

I love the 3.5 and the CVT! It's majestic blue with black leather, and unlike some I actually really like the design a lot. For the price I got it for I can't ask for much more.

I'll now take the verbal lashing, lol.

Catman your wife has one too, correct?

omicron

Champ

FIU Panther

I'll snap some as soon as I get home.