FIU Panther is buying a car

Started by FIU Panther, August 13, 2007, 07:41:22 AM

FIU Panther

I've landed a well paying government job (with guaranteed large raises for the next 3 years) and the Intrepid is starting to show it's age. It has already had it's transmission replaced once and there are things going wrong with it daily. It's time to reward myself. I will be buying after I return from the training academy.

I'm looking for something under 25k, aiming for under 23k. I have driven stick once for 30 minutes 5 years ago when I learned to drive, and a manual ATV that's the length of my experience. I will be getting some seat time this weekend with a buddies car, so I'm looking at a manual as an option. I'm acutally leaning towards it even though I'm getting an avalance of criticism.

The thing is there is nothing that really interests me in this price range. I figured the Civic SI for about 21k and the Tc for 18k are my two strongest choices. I'm considering the SI because of all the great reviews, it seems like a fun car. I'm considering the Tc for it's price, torque, and the options it comes with. I'd consider a normal Civic but I've heard it's torqueless. Style wise they are also the only two I'm interested in, nothing else moves me.

My main concern with these two cars though is insurance. A buddy with a Tc pays 170 a month which I can easily do, and if the SI comes in under 200 I will probably bite depending on how much I take a liking to driving stick. I'm looking to keep payments under 550 a month with insurance. It just pisses me off to pay almost as much in insurance as I will be paying in car payments. (Esurance quoted me 270 for a Tc online, and 260 for an SI... I refuse to pay that much for insurance)

I'm 22 (23 in Dec), living at home and will be for 2 more years, and am a graduate with a bachelors. I have clean record except I recieved a ticket for speeding about a year ago but I took the online class and recieved no points, does this affect me? Any discounts I should know about or mention?

I'm aiming to buy new. I want something "funner" than my 2.7 Trep though achieving a similar gas bill or better.

Anyone have any insight?

I will start test drives when I return from the academy.
2007 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL

TheIntrepid

:rage:

SELLOUT ON THE TREP

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Here's what I'd be looking at in that range:

-Volkswagen GTI
-Honda Civic Si
-Mazda6 V6

And please, oh please, don't buy a Scion tC.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

ifcar

The Civic is more fun than the tC if you can stand the interior. I'd definitely drive a standard version to see if it's as bad as you think it will be before limiting yourself to the pricier Si.

Rich

If you like the way they look, than get a Cooper S

Insurance should be less than the Civic Si, and you get 3 years 36,000 miles of free maintenance and 4/50,000 warantee.

Faster than a GTI, better gas mileage, and you can get an LSD with it.

And it's less expensive

:lol:

If I could go back in time I'd probably end up buying a 2003 Protege ES, 1997 Miata, a new Kia Rio, or even a MINI Cooper (not an S)
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

S204STi

Quote from: HotRodPilot on August 13, 2007, 08:36:49 AM
If you like the way they look, than get a Cooper S

Insurance should be less than the Civic Si, and you get 3 years 36,000 miles of free maintenance and 4/50,000 warantee.

Faster than a GTI, better gas mileage, and you can get an LSD with it.

Really?  Road and Track tested the old S Works against several cars including the GTI, and did 0-60 in 6.2 seconds, the GTI in 6.3.  So, unless the current MINI S is making a lot more than 170hp I kinda doubt it's quicker.

S204STi

Either way, FIU, you have more options than just the two you mentioned.  Personally I would at least try a MazdaSpeed3.  I personally loved the GTI, and would have bought it had it not been for the kind of winter driving I do.

FIU Panther

Quote from: R-inge on August 13, 2007, 08:59:08 AM
Either way, FIU, you have more options than just the two you mentioned.? Personally I would at least try a MazdaSpeed3.? I personally loved the GTI, and would have bought it had it not been for the kind of winter driving I do.

I actually really like the GTI, though I'm afraid of VW reliability. If anything goes wrong it'll cost an arm and a leg to repair.

Rich

Quote from: R-inge on August 13, 2007, 08:57:02 AM
Really?? Road and Track tested the old S Works against several cars including the GTI, and did 0-60 in 6.2 seconds, the GTI in 6.3.? So, unless the current MINI S is making a lot more than 170hp I kinda doubt it's quicker.

It's faster to 130 by .2 seconds and faster 5-60 by .1 seconds according to C&D

MCS 1/4 Mile - 15.0 @ 95mph

GTI 1/4 Mile  - 14.5 @ 95mph

They both are 6.2s 0-60

So I was wrong, they are about the same....

FIU Panther

I just checked an found two Audi A3 under 23k, and several G35 under 23k. I need to consider the used market. Except getting a low interest loan on used car for a first time buyer won't be easy even with a 5k down payment.

Rich

S204STi

Quote from: FIU Panther on August 13, 2007, 09:31:50 AM
I just checked an found two Audi A3 under 23k, and several G35 under 23k. I need to consider the used market. Except getting a low interest loan on used car for a first time buyer won't be easy even with a 5k down payment.

I dig the A3.

SJ_GTI

I would not get the tC if I were you. As ifcar said, don't limit your Civic choices to just the Si. I thought the regular 5-speed 140 HP Civic was nicer than the tC.

I'd also suggest checking out the Rabbit rather than just considering the GTI. A 2-door Rabbit is a steal IMHO. It comes with plenty of standard features, and can be had for around 16k before taxes. It will have practically all of the features on a Civic LX or Scion tC.

Check out this website for price/feature comparisons:

http://www.truedelta.com/prices4.php

All that being said, I would suggest going out and test driving as many of these cars as possible. not everyone has the same taste in cars, so while I may thing the high-revving and mechanical shifter of the Civic are nicer, someone else may simply prefer the tC's extra torque and smoother (what i would call more rubbery) shifting.

I would personally say not to worry too much about the reliability of the MKV Rabbits. I frequent the VWVortex boards and they seem to be holding up very well. I haven't had any mechanical issues with my Rabbit. The only thing I've had fixed was the seatbelt tensioner.

Champ

I was going to say, why are you so set on buying a new car?

I wouldn't look at all at new cars.  You will get much more value for your dollar if you buy something in the 2004-2005 range.  You could either get a nicer car for the same money, or get the same car and save a bunch of money.

From when I bought my (used) car, down payments don't change much if anything.  You should be able to get around 7% which on a $15,000 car is under $3,000 in intrest over 5 years.  And you can pay it off early to save on intrest.

For example, when I bought my car: it was $16,000 - no money down.  I got a 7.x% loan and my payment is $320 and insurance is $95 so my total is $415 a month.

the Teuton

What's more fun than a 2.7 Intrepid?  A 3.5 Intrepid!  :rockon:
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

TheIntrepid

Quote from: the Teuton on August 13, 2007, 10:19:24 AM
What's more fun than a 2.7 Intrepid?  A 3.5 Intrepid!  :rockon:

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

And what's faster than a 3.5 Intrepid? A 3.5 High Output Intrepid!

TBR

What's more exciting than any Intrepid: everything that isn't a Camry.

Vinsanity

Quote from: FIU Panther on August 13, 2007, 09:31:50 AM

A used G35 would be my first suggestion. I would've bought one if my brother didn't already have one. As far as interest rates go, try joining a credit union, and see what rate you could get from them.

If it turns out you're still better off buying new, try a V6 Altima. The coupe starts at just around $25k, and the sedans right now are going for about $23k.

the Teuton

Quote from: TBR on August 13, 2007, 10:23:42 AM
What's more exciting than any Intrepid: everything that isn't a Camry.

Don't be hating.  You know what's quicker than a Prelude?  An Intrepid R/T!  :P
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

TheIntrepid

Quote from: the Teuton on August 13, 2007, 10:52:10 AM
Don't be hating.  You know what's quicker than a Prelude?  An Intrepid R/T!  :P

All 3.2/3.5 Intrepids are quick... and I doubt he's going to face the fact that even teh Camry Hybrid is faster than his carl.

Raghavan

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Raghavan on August 13, 2007, 10:57:19 AM
V8 Mustang!!!

What year did the current gen mustangs go on sale?

A 2005 Mustang or GTO would be well within his price range I bet.

Tave

Wouldn't insurance be lower on the Si sedan? Might be an option.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Tave on August 13, 2007, 11:25:12 AM

Good point :ohyeah:

Raza

Same price range as I have (on my upper end).

Rabbit 4 door: high content, 170bhp, great practicality, for 18-19K.

Civic Si:  Might not be able to have more fun for less than 25 grand and still seat four. 

Mazdaspeed3:  Why use a hammer when a sledgehammer will do the job?  I'd look into it. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on August 13, 2007, 11:25:12 AM

Perhaps slightly.  Civic insurance will always be high, however. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tave

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=10632.msg538596#msg538596 date=1187038007
Civic insurance will always be high, however.?

Goddamn kids with their skateboards, loud music, and grand theft auto. :lockedup:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on August 13, 2007, 03:10:12 PM
Goddamn kids with their skateboards, loud music, and grand theft auto. :lockedup:

And the people who steal their cars. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

S204STi

I like the G35.  It's pretty much a 4 door 350Z, with some luxury thrown in for good measure.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)