HEMI's rowing his own gears again!!!!

Started by SVT666, August 15, 2007, 07:51:05 PM

GoCougs

Must be nice saving that much every month.

Panama_Chopster

Just avoid crashing it Hemi, I know that from experience.

giant_mtb

...and this is in The Fast Lane because...?

:tounge:

Congrats, man...saving money is great, even if you hafta drive a not-so-great vehicle.

the Teuton

If I'm not mistaken, Sport Compact Car is doing/just did a J Body build.  You might want to check it out.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SVT666

Quote from: the Teuton on August 15, 2007, 09:12:44 PM
It should be a) reliable, b) cheap as hell, c) economical, d) fun, e) quick for an economy car, but the interior build quality would scare the hell out of me.? It's an awesome choice because they depreciate so quickly.? Is it buzzy or actually fairly smooth and quiet?
Surprisingly the 2.2L in the base car is smoother then the 2.4L Twin Cam in the GT.  The 2.4L has 150hp and is actually quite quick.  The 2.2L only has 115 hp but is smoother.  This isn't to say that the 2.4L is buzzy or loud, but it's just not as quiet and smooth as the engine in the base model.  The interior build quality is fine.  There isn't a rattle to be heard.  If you don't look after your car and let the rattles get louder instead of tightening some screws, then any car's interior will eventually come apart.  I've seen Sunfire's where the interior rattles like hell driving down a smooth road becaus the owner didn't look after it.  Too much is made of the supposedly crappy build quality in the GM's cars.  It's not as good as the Japanese, but it's not shit either.  The only interior build quality that should scare you is Lada. :ohyeah:

SVT666

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 15, 2007, 09:26:37 PM
...and this is in The Fast Lane because...?

:tounge:

Congrats, man...saving money is great, even if you hafta drive a not-so-great vehicle.
I honestly don't know why people look down on them so much.  The GT version is actualy a pretty decent little car.

280Z Turbo

In all seriousness, a Sunfire is not really so bad when you think about it.

Basic transportation is all it is...Point A to point B, just don't expect to be carving the corners on the way there.

SVT666

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on August 15, 2007, 09:43:51 PM
In all seriousness, a Sunfire is not really so bad when you think about it.

Basic transportation is all it is...Point A to point B, just don't expect to be carving the corners on the way there.
I took my old one through the Rockies and had a blast.  It handles fairly well when pushed.

giant_mtb

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 15, 2007, 09:42:01 PM
I honestly don't know why people look down on them so much.  The GT version is actualy a pretty decent little car.

They're not that bad, but from an "enthusiast" point of view, there's much better (read: faster, more fun) options for that kind of money.  That's all. 

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

280Z Turbo

On a related note, according to wikipedia GM sold RHD Cavaliers in Japan as Toyota Cavaliers. This sounds like bullshit, but...

The idea of some kid getting JDM parts for a J-body amuses me. :lol:

SVT666

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 15, 2007, 09:54:25 PM
They're not that bad, but from an "enthusiast" point of view, there's much better (read: faster, more fun) options for that kind of money.? That's all.?
I wholeheartedly disagree.  I bought my first 2000 Sunfire GT brand new in 1999 for $19,000 CDN.  At the time, the closest competitor that was as fast or handled as well was a couple grand more.  This time I searched all over the entire province for a car under $5000 that was a sporty 2 door with a 5 speed that got at least 30 mpg.  Sunfires and Neons were pretty much it unless I wanted to buy a 1992 Civic with 250,000 kms on it.

280Z Turbo

The J-body would be good value for the money were it not for one little problem...

the Teuton

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 15, 2007, 10:15:25 PM
I wholeheartedly disagree.  I bought my first 2000 Sunfire GT brand new in 1999 for $19,000 CDN.  At the time, the closest competitor that was as fast or handled as well was a couple grand more.  This time I searched all over the entire province for a car under $5000 that was a sporty 2 door with a 5 speed that got at least 30 mpg.  Sunfires and Neons were pretty much it unless I wanted to buy a 1992 Civic with 250,000 kms on it.

Summit carries more performance parts for the Cav/Sunfire than they do the Impreza, if that tells you anything.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: the Teuton on August 15, 2007, 10:18:27 PM
Summit carries more performance parts for the Cav/Sunfire than they do the Impreza, if that tells you anything.

More J-bodies around than Imprezas.

Plus Summit markets mostly to...

Rather than...

SVT_Power

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on August 15, 2007, 10:17:27 PM
The J-body would be good value for the money were it not for one little problem...

And the Focus would be great were it not for one little problem...

reliability
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

280Z Turbo

Quote from: M_power on August 15, 2007, 10:24:15 PM
And the Focus would be great were it not for one little problem...

reliability

Mine has been 100% trouble free at 92,000 miles and one year of ownership.

the Teuton

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on August 15, 2007, 10:25:52 PM
Mine has been 100% trouble free at 92,000 miles and one year of ownership.

Yours is also a second year model and last I checked, probably still had a shit-ton of recalls before you even got it.  I hate to be defending the spawn of Cimmaron, but I kinda have to on this one.

SVT_Power

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on August 15, 2007, 10:24:14 PM
More J-bodies around than Imprezas.

Plus Summit markets mostly to...

"Stick your belly out Soup, it'll be funny."

God damned if the next thing I know its not all over the frikkin' interwebs.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

the Teuton

Quote from: M_power on August 15, 2007, 10:34:17 PM
what does spawn of Cimmaron mean? :lol:

Should I have said Pontiac J2000 instead?

280Z Turbo

Quote from: the Teuton on August 15, 2007, 10:30:33 PM
Yours is also a second year model and last I checked, probably still had a shit-ton of recalls before you even got it. I hate to be defending the spawn of Cimmaron, but I kinda have to on this one.

Only 4 minor issues listed. I'm not even sure if they're recalls. Sounds more like a service campaign.
http://www.internetautoguide.com/auto-recalls/99-int/2002/ford/focus/zx3-hatchback/1816/index.html

Soup DeVille

Quote from: M_power on August 15, 2007, 10:34:17 PM
what does spawn of Cimmaron mean? :lol:

It means that sometime in the early '80s, the shit really did hit the fan in new and horrific ways.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

the Teuton

Looking at "Cadillac:  The Standard of the World" in the past few weeks, I'm pretty sure that the Cimmaron may never be included in concours events...ever.

Rich

Congrats!

I used to have a '98 Cavalier 4 door, and there are a lot of days of the year I wish I had that more than the MINI

I agree, they are fun and nimble cars, and they don't weigh much.  My Cavalier was dead reliable from 34,000 until 91,000 miles too, which I can't say for the MINI in the 50,000 miles I've had it.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

TBR

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 15, 2007, 10:15:25 PM

Did it have to be a 2-door? Just curious.

It does sound like you got a fabulous deal (though the Neon can also move pretty good and they get excellent gas mileage).

Onslaught

I had to do a double take on this one. Don't you ever...... EVER talk about me and a girls car again!
Hope it gives you years of dependable, stress free transportation.

And should this be in the "fast Lane?"  :devil:

ifcar

Quote from: the Teuton on August 15, 2007, 10:30:33 PM
Yours is also a second year model and last I checked, probably still had a shit-ton of recalls before you even got it.  I hate to be defending the spawn of Cimmaron, but I kinda have to on this one.

Used vs. used, does it matter how many times it was recalled before you got it?