18 (47.4%)
Italian V8 (F430)
16 (42.1%)
German V8 (RS4, M3)
4 (10.5%)

Total Members Voted: 33

GoCougs

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 28, 2007, 01:30:38 PM
Apparently you haven't either since the Super Cobra Jet went into production in 1969 and Cobra production stopped in 1967.? The Cobra used a 260, then a 289, then a 390, and last but certainly not least, the 427 side oiler.

Lots of engines, including 428 SCJs, have found their way into AC Cobras, both new and old.

hounddog

Quote from: GoCougs on August 28, 2007, 01:41:44 PM
Lots of engines, including 428 SCJs, have found their way into AC Cobras, both new and old.

However, my original post stands.  Nothing sounds as good as the 427 Super Cobra Jet.  Game over. 

Can you agree with that, Hemi?  :lol:
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

SVT666

Quote from: hounddog on August 28, 2007, 01:38:03 PM
Wrong song, Mary.? They started out with those engines, and it was the 289 which made the car legendary.? However, in 1965, Carroll Shelby wanted faster, much faster cars and introduced the 427 and eventually the 428.? You may wish to do a little more research. :lol:

edit= you are right, I should not have included the SCJ moniker to my post.? However, what I also should have included was the keyword, "aftermarket" or something thereof.? Thanks for keeping me from slacking, hemi.
No problem.  I guess I don't have to tell you to do a little more research huh?  :lol:

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on August 28, 2007, 01:41:44 PM

Shelby never put one in it.  If you have seen one then it's most likely a replica because most people have kept the originals...original.

SVT666

Quote from: hounddog on August 28, 2007, 01:55:13 PM
However, my original post stands.? Nothing sounds as good as the 427 428 Super Cobra Jet.? Game over.?

Can you agree with that, Hemi?? :lol:
My favourite Cobra and my favourite sounding Cobra is the 427 side oiler.  The 428 or 429 Super Cobra Jet Mustangs were amazing.

SVT666

Quote from: hounddog on August 28, 2007, 01:38:03 PM
Wrong song, Mary.? They started out with those engines, and it was the 289 which made the car legendary.? However, in 1965, Carroll Shelby wanted faster, much faster cars and introduced the 427 and eventually the 428.? You may wish to do a little more research. :lol:

edit= you are right, I should not have included the SCJ moniker to my post.? However, what I also should have included was the keyword, "aftermarket" or something thereof.? Thanks for keeping me from slacking, hemi.
Shelby never put a 428 in the Cobra and the SCJ, which was a 428 in 1969 and a 429 in 1971, never made it's way into an original Shelby Cobra either.  Maybe in the aftermarket like you said, but Shelby didn't put them in.

GoCougs

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 28, 2007, 02:17:35 PM
Shelby never put one in it.? If you have seen one then it's most likely a replica because most people have kept the originals...original.

Houndog said nothing about originality, however.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on August 28, 2007, 02:59:51 PM
Houndog said nothing about originality, however.
I want to put an '03 Cobra motor into a Factory Five replica.  That or a 347 Stroker.

GoCougs

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 28, 2007, 03:06:40 PM
I want to put an '03 Cobra motor into a Factory Five replica.? That or a 347 Stroker.

Sounds good - personally I'd opt for a 400+ ci Windsor stroker small block, with full roller valvetrain and MP fuel injection.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on August 28, 2007, 03:51:03 PM
Sounds good - personally I'd opt for a 400+ ci Windsor stroker small block, with full roller valvetrain and MP fuel injection.
That would be cool too.  Why the Windsor over the Cleveland?

GoCougs

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 28, 2007, 03:54:35 PM
That would be cool too.? Why the Windsor over the Cleveland?

I'm not much of a Ford guy, but from listening to my friends that are, the Windsor is the "better" of the two, especially for street modding purposes. I know there are a lot more after market parts (most importantly, heads). IIRC, it is the smaller block as well.

SVT666

I would take the Windsor too, but I was just wondering why you would cause I know you aren't a Ford guy.

ChrisV

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 28, 2007, 02:22:05 PM
Shelby never put a 428 in the Cobra and the SCJ, which was a 428 in 1969 and a 429 in 1971, never made it's way into an original Shelby Cobra either.  Maybe in the aftermarket like you said, but Shelby didn't put them in.

Wrong. Many of the 427 cars had 428s in them stock, at the end of the production run where costs were trying to be kept down, and Ford had a problem delivering the side-oiler 427s...

http://www.prc68.com/I/CSX3282.shtml

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

omicron

I seem to recall reading of 428s going into Mark III Cobras, too.

The lovely AC Frua had the 428, if I remember rightly.

SVT666

Quote from: ChrisV on August 29, 2007, 09:32:32 AM
Wrong. Many of the 427 cars had 428s in them stock, at the end of the production run where costs were trying to be kept down, and Ford had a problem delivering the side-oiler 427s...

http://www.prc68.com/I/CSX3282.shtml

I'm confused because Shelby's own website doesn't list the 428 as one of the engines put in the Cobra.  It lists the 427 side oiler as the largest engine installed by Shelby.

ChrisV

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 29, 2007, 09:46:08 AM
I'm confused because Shelby's own website doesn't list the 428 as one of the engines put in the Cobra.  It lists the 427 side oiler as the largest engine installed by Shelby.

yeah, but most written histories of them, including some of my '60s car magazines, make mention of it. And as you can see, that CSX had the 428. Most of the CSX3200-CSX3300 cars were 428 powered.

http://www.ritzsite.net/AC_Cobra/05_cobra.htm

http://www.carmemories.com/cgi-bin/viewexperience.cgi?experience_id=597

SVT666

Interesting.  I wonder why Shelby doesn't acknowledge this fact.

ChrisV

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 29, 2007, 11:15:58 AM
Interesting.  I wonder why Shelby doesn't acknowledge this fact.

Shelby doesn't acknowledge a lot of things. ;) But the SAAC has them all recorded.

Northlands

Italian V8's ftw for me. Breathtaking sound.

Second place would be Ford's 5L motor. Pretty distinct sounding and my favorite of all American 8 cyls.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

hounddog

Quote from: ChrisV on August 29, 2007, 11:19:24 AM
Shelby doesn't acknowledge a lot of things. ;) But the SAAC has them all recorded.
http://www.fordcobraengines.com/cobra_engine%20history.htm

Here is the real history of the Cobra and the 427 / 428 debate.?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

SVT666

Quote from: hounddog on August 29, 2007, 01:08:22 PM
http://www.fordcobraengines.com/cobra_engine%20history.htm

Here is the real history of the Cobra and the 427 / 428 debate.?
They build and ship 15 different engines for Cobra replicas.? That's so freaking awesome. :rockon:

EDIT:? I was thinking about it.? The 03 Cobra motor probably won't fit under the hood of a Cobra.? I would have to go with a 351W or 347 Stroker if I built one.

hounddog

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 29, 2007, 01:13:59 PM
They build and ship 15 different engines for Cobra replicas.? That's so freaking awesome. :rockon:

EDIT:? I was thinking about it.? The 03 Cobra motor probably won't fit under the hood of a Cobra.? I would have to go with a 351W or 347 Stroker if I built one.
I found that site awhile ago when I was considering building one.? And then I got the cost sheet.? :cry:
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

FoMoJo

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 28, 2007, 03:54:35 PM
That would be cool too.? Why the Windsor over the Cleveland?
Mentioning the Cleveland reminds me of one the better sounding street applications for an American V8.? ?The 1971 Pantera.? It had a 351 Cleveland "Boss", I believe, mounted in the back with headers and a pretty short freeflow dual exhaust system.? I don't believe that there was a cross pipe.

Back in the '70s, most mornings, I would hear one launch down a piece of road that ran by the apartment building I lived in at the time.? Beautiful, beautiful sound.? I was driving a '67 Mark II Sunbeam Tiger (with a 289 HiPo) at the time.? I couldn't really decide which sound I liked the best.

As for the Cleveland vs. the Windsor, the Cleveland 4V (carburettor) was a better performing street engine than any Windsor because of the heads they used...although they also used the same heads on the Boss 302 (Windsor).? Both were good engines but they only made the Cleveland small-block for a dozen years.? The Windsor has an incredible racing legacy that spans the most hallowed racetracks of the world, as well as an abundant aftermarket.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Soup DeVille

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 29, 2007, 09:46:08 AM
I'm confused because Shelby's own website doesn't list the 428 as one of the engines put in the Cobra.? It lists the 427 side oiler as the largest engine installed by Shelby.

I don't know that there's an actual displacement difference between the 427 and the 428- the number may have been changed only to differentiate between the two.

The Shelby book I have does not break out production from between the 427s and the 428s, but it does list both engines as being installed.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

omicron

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 30, 2007, 06:11:15 PM
I don't know that there's an actual displacement difference between the 427 and the 428- the number may have been changed only to differentiate between the two.

The Shelby book I have does not break out production from between the 427s and the 428s, but it does list both engines as being installed.

I believe (but am certainly open to being proved wrong) that the 427 is in fact 425 cubic inches, whereas the 428 is a true 428 cubic inches.

cawimmer430

Why no Lexus 4.3 and 4.6 V8 option? And why no Lexus IS-F? :rolleyes:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

JYODER240

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 31, 2007, 07:05:56 AM

The Lexus 4.3 actually sounds pretty good if you unhook the exhaust after the cats. The problem is the mufflers strangle any bit of noise out.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

sportyaccordy

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 31, 2007, 07:05:56 AM
:lol:

And yea the choice is obvious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAkspWdG2AE

ChrisV

Quote from: JYODER240 on August 31, 2007, 05:07:07 PM
The Lexus 4.3 actually sounds pretty good if you unhook the exhaust after the cats. The problem is the mufflers strangle any bit of noise out.

Like I said before, I'm hoping that the Lexus 4.0 V8 will sound good with a hot rod style, no-cat exhaust on it AND a manual trans with a light flywheel for quick revs...