18 (47.4%)
Italian V8 (F430)
16 (42.1%)
German V8 (RS4, M3)
4 (10.5%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NACar on August 20, 2007, 10:30:20 PM
If your point is that this thread is pointless, then your point is well taken.? :ohyeah:

Close enough.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 20, 2007, 10:31:46 PM
Close enough.

Not that I don't mind talking about V8's all day, but picking a country that makes the best sounding one is a bit silly.

Anyhoo... I suppose if I was going to pick an actual good, classic "American V8" sound, it would be something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o4vpmc_v5E
and although it sounds good to me,  it doesn't sound a damn thing like this other American V8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WBCWqmUoAU
or this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lQX3cOAbes
never mind Swedish V8's:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0NalEgynKA
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

ChrisV

Those that don't like American V8s should find their nearest Vintage races and listen to the orignal Cobras, BOSS 302s and DZ 302 Camaros from the '60s and the early Can Am cars rip it up on the race track. Then open your minds a bit. if you still think pick up truck, then you need psychological help.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

SVT666

Pickups don't sound anything like the classic American V8 sound.

Rich

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 21, 2007, 07:33:11 AM
Pickups don't sound anything like the classic American V8 sound.

:confused:

The GTO and Corvette both sound like a loud Suburban or Silverado

The Mustang GT sounds like a loud F150
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

SVT666

Quote from: HotRodPilot on August 21, 2007, 07:52:53 AM
:confused:

The GTO and Corvette both sound like a loud Suburban or Silverado

The Mustang GT sounds like a loud F150
You need your hearing checked.

ChrisV

Of course, I can't wait to hear my Lexus 4 liter V8 throough a hot rod exhaust system when it gets put in the Comet...

All indications are that it will sound halfway between an American and Italian V8.

Submariner

I have always loved the wail of a Ferrari, but my all time favorite exhaust goes to the SLR.

I got a take a ride in one once, and my goodness it was astonishingly good. First, you have a smooth "rumble" anywhere from idle to 2000 RPM, then comes into play a slight supercharger whine.  Stab the throttle, and instantly the car surges forward, and the rumble explodes with it.  The only thing competing with the exhaust is the glorious supercharger whine that only sounds sweeter with each shift of the gearbox.  In a word, incredible.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2277529044417977479&q=SLR+vs.+599&total=4&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

It may be hard to hear the SLR, but in the second drag listen to that whine then a split second later the low rumble, that's the SLR.  It really sounds that amazing. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Rich

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 21, 2007, 08:03:54 AM

The Corvette and GTO  both make the blub-blub-blub sound at idle that the GM V8 trucks do :huh:

They sound different at full throttle and higher RPM, but that could just be because of the exhaust :mask:

When I rode in the LS1 GTO it sounded like a truck from the inside
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Submariner

Quote from: ChrisV on August 21, 2007, 08:12:46 AM
Of course, I can't wait to hear my Lexus 4 liter V8 throough a hot rod exhaust system when it gets put in the Comet...

All indications are that it will sound halfway between an American and Italian V8.

If I remember correctly, that makes 250 at the crank right?  That's a nice engine you got.  I never remember the exhaust sound of my parent's LS, of course, even if I tired to listen it would have been far too muted for me to get anything out of it.  :lol:

JYODER240

/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

omicron

I cannot explain the appeal of the American V8. From the deceptively commanding 1953 Cadillac V8 that gently strokes you from head to toe and sends uncontrollable shivers throughout your entire body, to the immediacy and fury of a 427ci Corvette, with all its thumping, merciless glory - there is nothing that can compare. Not even the frenetic scream of an Italian V8; not even the crafted bellow of a German V8 - the American V8 has no equal.

SVT666

Quote from: omicron on August 21, 2007, 08:33:02 AM
I cannot explain the appeal of the American V8. From the deceptively commanding 1953 Cadillac V8 that gently strokes you from head to toe and sends uncontrollable shivers throughout your entire body, to the immediacy and fury of a 427ci Corvette, with all its thumping, merciless glory - there is nothing that can compare. Not even the frenetic scream of an Italian V8; not even the crafted bellow of a German V8 - the American V8 has no equal.
:rockon:

ChrisV

Quote from: Submariner on August 21, 2007, 08:16:00 AM
If I remember correctly, that makes 250 at the crank right?  That's a nice engine you got.  I never remember the exhaust sound of my parent's LS, of course, even if I tired to listen it would have been far too muted for me to get anything out of it.  :lol:

Yup, 250 or so in stock form, but with exhaust and megasquirt, could get up to 300 at the crank. More than enough for the 2500 lb Comet, however. And unlike the stock LS or SC, it won't be over mufflered.

Submariner

Quote from: ChrisV on August 21, 2007, 08:49:58 AM
Yup, 250 or so in stock form, but with exhaust and megasquirt, could get up to 300 at the crank. More than enough for the 2500 lb Comet, however. And unlike the stock LS or SC, it won't be over mufflered.

Good to hear.  But why did you chose a Lexus V8.  It seems like you could get more power from smaller (lighter?) sources.

ChrisV

Quote from: Submariner on August 21, 2007, 08:57:41 AM
Good to hear.  But why did you chose a Lexus V8.  It seems like you could get more power from smaller (lighter?) sources.

I could BOLT in a Ford 302/5.0, as it has a 260 cid small block Ford in there now, stock. I could spend a ton on a Chevy motor (and really hear it from the Ford fans), or I could drop in something different and cool, just to freak people out. I don't need more power, as it's not a race car, but a custom cruiser. So cool and different wins out. It's a TINY engine (smaller than a small block Chevy, and only barely wider than a small block Ford, while being lighter than either) that looks really exotic once the plastic covers come off...

Raghavan

I think the Lexus V8 is a unique choice. good luck on the car, Chris. Can't wait for it to be done. :ohyeah:

SaltyDog

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

eThirteen

I would've picked British V8's from TVR or Aston but I'm going to go with Italian.

68_427

Well, i like all of these: but my favorite is Aerican.  To me, nothing compares to my dad's '68 427 vette (hence the name) but i also really do like this one.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7157860358089713525&q=corvette+zo6+sound&total=2&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

Although many say it "raunchy" or "loud", it one of my favs.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

SVT_Power

quite possibly the best mustang exhaust i've ever heard. (maybe it's the sheer loudness of the exhaust, but i want it.)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=X8U5jXJmwzc
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT666

The SLP Loudmouth is muffler-less.  It's very loud and obnoxious.  I like it...but I don't love it.  I love the Magnaflow Magnapack system though.

Ron From Regina

Mustangs have always had a sound that is unique to them. You need to have the right ear for it, but its there.

Right from the beginning, up to the 5.0s, and eventualy 4.6's (even with all their different head configs) although sound different next to each other, all have the "mustang sound"

If I'm sitting in my back yard and a mustang drives by I can always identify it as a mustang, and not an old pickup, or anything else. I can even tell the difference between a 5.0, 2V 4.6, and 3V 4.6.

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 21, 2007, 08:03:54 AM

I remember my father's reaction to the Z06.

"Sounds like a tractor..."

When my girlfriend went for a ride in it for the first time, she was looking all over the dash for a button to turn off the noise.  She also thought for the longest time that the engine was in the back because the noise seemed to be coming from behind.

FordSVT

When I think of what a V8 sounds like, a nice "rumble" comes to mind, or a loud, growling, "angry as hell" sound at WOT. Therefore, I chose the American V8. One of the things I miss most about my GT is driving down a narrow street and listening to the burbling sound of the engine echo off the walls.  :cry:

I love the sound of a Ferrari V8; the scream at high-rpm is devilish, but it's not the sound that springs to mind when I think of a V8. To be honest they remind me more of what Satan's Own Four-cylinder would sound like. They're high-pitched.

European V8s are too muted, too quiet, as they're usually found in luxury cars. The best ones, like the ones I've heard on AMGs, sound a hell of a lot like American V8s, so that counts them out for being unoriginal. Haven't heard what the new M3 sounds like, that might be cool.

And Japanese V8s are typically found in quiet luxury cars and muted sport-utes and pick-ups too, so they aren't really contenders. Have no idea what the Lexus F cars or whatever letter their high-perf division is called sounds like.

Side note: seriously, why'd they go with "F"? Is there a letter in the English language that can be abused and mocked more easily than "F"?

Lazerous

I was just driving back home like 30minutes ago and I was behind a mustang gt (previous model) and god damn did that thing sound good! I know for a fact it was not stock cause I never heard that type of growl come from a GT before, but the exhaust looked stock to me. Either that or he got a really clean looking aftermarket exhaust kit that just fit REALLY well with that bumper.

93JC

'Murrican.

Or tuned 'murrican V8, like this Aussie one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWK3P1YSqug

Raza

So, do you want ice cream, ice cream, or ice cream?

I'll take ice cream.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Lazerous

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=10737.msg546102#msg546102 date=1187755968
So, do you want ice cream, ice cream, or ice cream?

I'll take ice cream.

But each ice cream is sitting on a different cone ;)

omicron

Quote from: 93JC on August 21, 2007, 09:43:51 PM
'Murrican.

Or tuned 'murrican V8, like this Aussie one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWK3P1YSqug

Taken in the Adelaide Hills, that. :praise: