What to do with the Caddy?

Started by southdiver1, August 21, 2007, 09:55:08 AM

What "theme" should I do for my 49 Cadillac?

Save up the money and go stock
11 (73.3%)
Gloss black with flames
1 (6.7%)
flat black with "nose art"
3 (20%)
other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 13

etypeJohn

Quote from: southdiver1 on August 23, 2007, 11:31:37 AM
It looks like that is what is gonna happen.
I am suprised at how expensive it is gonna be just to get my stuff re-chromed.
I am looking at around $1000.00 for both bumpers and the grill so far.
I have not even touched on the emblems and the other trim peices like the window bits....
I suppose I can just drive it without bumpers and a grill for a while and I can take off the window bits when I am ready to paint and send them off seperate.....

Shop around locally if you are in a big enough area to support multiple shops.  I found a chrome shop in Houston, every bit as good as the shop everybody uses and paid about 1/2 the cost. And, turnaround time was about a week as compared to months.

Rupert

Did Caddy's come in non-black? Could be cool in red, sans chrome. Put a big engine in there and update things to make it driveable... That's what I'd shoot for.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Zcarnut

They dont on a 1300lb dune buggy,but I suspect a 3500-4000 lb Caddy wouldnt be pleasent braking experience with them.
Im doing a disc brake conversion over the Winter myself.

Quote from: the Teuton on August 22, 2007, 09:32:39 AM
Four wheel drums do pose a problem, don't they?
I do drive a Honda (when im mowing my lawn).

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Psilos on August 23, 2007, 03:12:10 PM
Did Caddy's come in non-black? Could be cool in red, sans chrome. Put a big engine in there and update things to make it driveable... That's what I'd shoot for.

Yes. They came in an astounding variety of colors and two-tone combos.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

the Teuton

I'm going to retract any of my possibly relevant posts in this thread and say that the car should be made into a donk.  Close thread.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sandertheshark

Quote from: GoCougs on August 22, 2007, 08:11:34 AM
I said "stock" as well, because it's a four door. I think a four-door 'rod would be a bit awkward looking.

However, the flat black w/WWII bomber-like nose art is an awesome idea, and would get my vote if it were a two-door.
I like that idea too.  I also like the rat rod idea.

southdiver1

Well, I figured it out.
For now, I am going with the rat rod look and the nose art.
What exactly will be on the fenders changes every day due to my wife's imput but, it is looking like a girl leaning on a tall toolbox.
The car will be named "almost done"

Before I apply the flat black paint, the body WILL be absolutly perfect. While it is sitting in rat rod stance, I will take that opportunity to shop for all the chrome bits and re-chrome what I have as well as start to build another engine for it (Caddy 500 maybe?)
The nice thing is, I can cruise it and be cool and, in a few years when I have all the parts togather, I simply re-sand, re-prime, and then send it out to a pro for re-painting all pretty.
I came into this world kicking, screaming, pissed off, and covered in someone elses blood.
If I do it right, I will leave this world in the same condition.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

I think you should go with something slightly more suggestive with the nose art

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

southdiver1

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 30, 2007, 05:56:08 PM
I think you should go with something slightly more suggestive with the nose art

While I 100% totally agree with you without a question, my wife does not share our mutual appreation for art.
Because of this, I need to find that fine line between sexy and not slutty. She is quick to remind me that it is very possible that we will be driving this to our Sunday Meetings occasionally.
I came into this world kicking, screaming, pissed off, and covered in someone elses blood.
If I do it right, I will leave this world in the same condition.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: southdiver1 on August 31, 2007, 07:52:42 AM
While I 100% totally agree with you without a question, my wife does not share our mutual appreation for art.
Because of this, I need to find that fine line between sexy and not slutty. She is quick to remind me that it is very possible that we will be driving this to our Sunday Meetings occasionally.

Oh, I could have come up with slutty. Slutty's easy.

Suggestive is what I was aiming for...

the Teuton

NOT SAFE FOR WORK

http://brothershildebrandt.com/pinups.htm

Greg Hildebrandt was the featured artist at Glenmoor last year for our concours.  Check our his pinup girl collection.

Here's the one he did for our concours last year.

Otherwise, I have a friend whose dad is an amazing airbrush painter in Ohio.  I'll find you a sample of his work.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

the Teuton

Okay, you're going to find out my true identity, but this is from something I wrote three years ago for the high school paper.  The writing sucks, but it's the truck I want you to see, especially the dragon.  No, I did not take the pics, unfortunately.

http://www.northcanton.sparcc.org/~vv1nc/archive/0405/issue100405.pdf

"Turn" to page 12.

the Teuton

Trep might recognize the color, but this is another sample of the guy's work.  The Firechicken on the hood was all airbrushed, as well as on the sides.