New Audi A4

Started by nickdrinkwater, August 28, 2007, 04:51:15 AM

r0tor

i really really like it...  :ohyeah:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

ArchBishop

Looks Like I've seen this car before. And that interior is terrible.

SJ_GTI

While this picture is in a horrible color (Camry beige), it shows off the biggest improvement of this platform...the proportions (front overhang in particular):

Quote from: SJ_GTI on August 29, 2007, 11:09:35 AM

I can't believe I'm saying this, but it's so slab sided and bland from the side that I wish it had some of BMW's character lines.

nickdrinkwater

Proportionally, it's like a 3-Series.

r0tor

they should make sure a TDi engine is brought over to the US for the first production year... would be a great AWD daily commuter with superior fuel mileage
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

850CSi

That's reaaaallly nice. But I still don't understand why Audi redesigns the A4 every 3 or 4 years.

omicron

Quote from: SJ_GTI on August 29, 2007, 11:09:35 AM
While this picture is in a horrible color (Camry beige), it shows off the biggest improvement of this platform...the proportions (front overhang in particular):

And there goes the A4's biggest design flaw! Excellent.

Raza

Quote from: 565 on August 29, 2007, 11:12:58 AM
I can't believe I'm saying this, but it's so slab sided and bland from the side that I wish it had some of BMW's character lines.

You people are impossible. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SJ_GTI

Motive has the full press release:

http://www.motivemagazine.com/pub/news/The_New_Audi_A4_In_Depth.shtml

I am surprised how big it is. They say 4.7 meters, which is roughly 185 inches. The last model was around 180 inches.

The do say this:

Thanks to new high-tech materials and processes, the bodyshell is even safer and more rigid than the previous model, although it weighs significantly less.

We won't get this specific model, but read this:

The technical features of the steel bodyshell are also evidence of the major steps forward that have been taken on the new Audi A4. The body is extremely light in weight: although almost twelve centimetres longer and over five centimetres wider than its predecessor, the bare bodyshell weighs about ten percent less - an excellent starting point for a saloon car of low gross weight. The Audi A4 1.8 TFSI, for instance, tips the scales at only 1,410 kilograms.

For reference, that's 3108 lbs. Figure another ~200 lbs for the quattro model, and another 100 lbs for the V6. All told, the A4 3.2 Quattro could come in around 3400 lbs...not bad IMHO.

Quote from: SJ_GTI on August 29, 2007, 01:27:09 PM
Motive has the full press release:

http://www.motivemagazine.com/pub/news/The_New_Audi_A4_In_Depth.shtml

I am surprised how big it is. They say 4.7 meters, which is roughly 185 inches. The last model was around 180 inches.

The do say this:

We won't get this specific model, but read this:

For reference, that's 3108 lbs. Figure another ~200 lbs for the quattro model, and another 100 lbs for the V6. All told, the A4 3.2 Quattro could come in around 3400 lbs...not bad IMHO.

I wouldn't be so optimistic.  The figures are in Kilograms so I assume they are talking about the european A4.  For the current German A4 1.8T the Audi website lists an unladenweight of 1380kg.  It looks like this new A4 has gained some weight along with more size.

http://www.audi.de/audi/de/de2/neuwagen/a4/limousine/technische_daten.html?allCategories=1&cat=Price&cat=Motorization&cat=DrvPerformance&cat=FuelConsumption&cat=PowerTransmission&cat=Steering&cat=Weight&cat=Volumes&cat=Insurance&cat=StdEquipments&carlineLeft=%2Fetc%2Fvehiclestore%2F50100%2Fa4%2Fa4limo&modelLeft=8ec0a4_0&carlineRight=&modelRight=

In fact the new 1.8T news as much as the current 2.0T at 1410kg.

http://www.audi.de/audi/de/de2/neuwagen/a4/limousine/technische_daten.html?allCategories=1&cat=Price&cat=Motorization&cat=DrvPerformance&cat=FuelConsumption&cat=PowerTransmission&cat=Steering&cat=Weight&cat=Volumes&cat=Insurance&cat=StdEquipments&carlineLeft=%2Fetc%2Fvehiclestore%2F50100%2Fa4%2Fa4limo&modelLeft=8ec0ec_0&carlineRight=&modelRight=

Also what concerns me is that Audi's tend to gain quite a bit of weight when they come to America.  The biggest example is the RS4 which goes from an unladen weight of 1650kgs (around 3640 lbs) according to the German site to around 3900 lbs for our US model.

As for the regular 3.2 Quattro Audi germany gives an unladenweight of 1555kg (3427 pounds).

http://www.audi.de/audi/de/de2/neuwagen/a4/limousine/technische_daten.html?allCategories=1&cat=Price&cat=Motorization&cat=DrvPerformance&cat=FuelConsumption&cat=PowerTransmission&cat=Steering&cat=Weight&cat=Volumes&cat=Insurance&cat=StdEquipments&carlineLeft=%2Fetc%2Fvehiclestore%2F50100%2Fa4%2Fa4limo&modelLeft=8ec0p9_0&carlineRight=&modelRight=

But our 3.2 Quattro is listed as having an unladen weight of 3649 lbs.

http://www.audiusa.com/audi/us/en2/new_cars/Audi_A4/A4/specifications.techdata.a4.a4limo.8ec5p9_2.html

Thus the A4 managed to gain 222 pounds in crossing the pond.  This new A4 appears to be about 20kg heavier than it's predecessor.

There is some talk that "unladen weight" may include a driver and luggage, but in Audi's case it is not true.

http://www.audi.com.au/upload/172503.pdf

According to page 12/13 of that PDF pamphlet from Audi, Audi's measurement of unladen weight excludes the driver.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on August 29, 2007, 11:16:51 AM
Proportionally, it's like a 3-Series.
But isn't it still FWD in base form??????? What's the point, all that space behind the front wheels could have went to the cabin  :lockedup: That's why I don't get it, if they made a RWD A4 and made quattro an option I could understand, but this is just hustling backwards IMO :banghead: :huh:

Champ

I'm skeptical

Notice how they talk about the weight of the body, not the weight of the overall car.  If they said they could stretch it out however many inches and make the overall car weigh less - they'd be advertising that.

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on August 29, 2007, 03:16:33 PM
But isn't it still FWD in base form??????? What's the point, all that space behind the front wheels could have went to the cabin  :lockedup: That's why I don't get it, if they made a RWD A4 and made quattro an option I could understand, but this is just hustling backwards IMO :banghead: :huh:

You're starting to sound like Raghavan.  "Wah wah, it should be RWD.  Evos should be RWD!  Subarus should be RWD!  Rally cars should be RWD!" 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: ArchBishop on August 29, 2007, 10:57:33 AM
Looks Like I've seen this car before. And that interior is terrible.

"Wah wah, I don't like Audis become someone with an Audi made a joke at my expense once."

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  on August 29, 2007, 03:24:44 PM
You're starting to sound like Raghavan.  "Wah wah, it should be RWD.  Evos should be RWD!  Subarus should be RWD!  Rally cars should be RWD!" 
If it's gonna be FWD at least utilize FWD's biggest advantage- packaging! If you get a FWD Audi you get the dynamic disadvantage of FWD and the cramped interior of a shorter cabin...

What's the point?

Champ

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raghavan

Quote from: Raza  on August 29, 2007, 01:07:58 PM
People have to complain about something. :huh:
Personally i think it looks fantastic.

saxonyron

I like this angle the best.  It looks very much like the A5, and I'm madly in love with that.  Too bad I'll be turning over my lease this February, before the new model is ready. It'll be coming over as an '09 model in the states, but Europe will get it this year, so I've read on Audiworld.com.  I really do like what they've done with the front overhang, weight distribution, and the rear end.  Improvements across the board. 

And wah wah wah....it shouldn't be RWD - Audi's thing is quattro.   I understand that the FWD architecture will turn some people away, but they have far more fans due to the quattro than they would gain by appealing to a small slice of "purist" RWD fans.  The reality is that they do share a basic architecture with VW, and VW's will be FWD for the foreseeable future due to their market position as a maker of sporty yet economical cars.  BMW and MB can grab those who can't get past the drive wheels.  So stop whining about the RWD and grab yourself a quattro, OK?   :devil:   :lol:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

JYODER240

This segment has a lot of great looking choices between this, the CTS, and C-class.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

ArchBishop

Quote from: Raza on August 29, 2007, 03:25:30 PM
"Wah wah, I don't like Audis become someone with an Audi made a joke at my expense once."
After I'm done kicking your ass (and Accordy might want in too) I'm going to take you out for a drink.

The car really does look boring, and tries to hard to be edgy, yet evolutionary. The interior looks like the previous A4's, which to be honest was good, but the layout and design are begining to look very dated. I hate to say this, but I think The Bloated CTS's interior looks better.

ArchBishop

Quote from: Raza on August 29, 2007, 01:07:58 PM

Waa Waa, I'm an illogical rabid BMW hater.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: ArchBishop on August 29, 2007, 09:43:27 PM
After I'm done kicking your ass (and Accordy might want in too) I'm going to take you out for a drink.

If you kick Raza's ass, I'll buy you infinite drinks all your life, because I doubt you're capable of it. :lol:

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

ArchBishop

Quote from: TheIntrepid on August 29, 2007, 09:45:45 PM
If you kick Raza's ass, I'll buy you infinite drinks all your life, because I doubt you're capable of it. :lol:
I hope you?re serious, because Raza comes off as a total bitch to me. I remember back on the old forums, he used to buddy up with Alfa Romeo, until Alfa got sick of Raza acting like a little schoolgirl. Obviously a sign of someone who lacks a spine, and motivation to do something (remember your missing emblem?)

And of course we are the around the same age, so its not like it wouldn?t be fair. If all else fails, I?ll try to pick up his girlfriend, but judging by how much time he spends on here, I think his social life is lacking.

And Since when were you so far up Raza?s ass? Or mine for that matter?

Raza

Tough guy making threats over the internet. 

Besides, I thought we had this down to a fun thing now.  Obviously, you're more on edge than I am!  Now this is just fun for me. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ArchBishop

I just re-read that, and I think you have your own sick motives for wanting to see me confront Raza. Did he demoralize you, or make fun of your oh-so-precious  camry too much?

ArchBishop

Quote from: Raza on August 29, 2007, 09:55:07 PM
Tough guy making threats over the internet.

Besides, I thought we had this down to a fun thing now. Obviously, you're more on edge than I am! Now this is just fun for me.
It is a fun thing. I really would smack you one time for being such a wiseass, and then force/beg you to make me one of those ugly but ever so delectable Philly cheese steaks. (I saw the pictures/thread in OT)

Raza

Quote from: ArchBishop on August 29, 2007, 09:59:16 PM
It is a fun thing. I really would smack you one time for being such a wiseass, and then force/beg you to make me one of those ugly but ever so delectable Philly cheese steaks.

I'm still loving the tough guy act over the internet. 

I've been a wiseass as long as I can remember.  Trying to smack me isn't going to change anything.  I'm persistent.  I learned that in my two months of karate. 

So I wouldn't mess with me.  I was a yellow belt 15 years ago.

My cheesesteaks are damn good, too.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ArchBishop

Quote from: Raza on August 29, 2007, 10:01:00 PM
I'm still loving the tough guy act over the internet.

I've been a wiseass as long as I can remember. Trying to smack me isn't going to change anything. I'm persistent. I learned that in my two months of karate.

So I wouldn't mess with me. I was a yellow belt 15 years ago.

My cheesesteaks are damn good, too.

Then I'd steal one. I'm brown remember? Besides, it would be a trick of the hand. One second we would be playing halo 2 with the guys having a beer, then BAM, when you least expect it. Sometimes you have to be slick about it.

Edit*
I had to lol when I read that. Classic stuff, honestly.