Honda Civic Si Sedan - $23,190
7 (17.9%)
Mazdaspeed3 GT - $24,700
14 (35.9%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Eye of the Tiger

That is a long time.
Get a BMW.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

J86

Raza

Quote from: J86 on September 04, 2007, 06:38:51 PM
I guess it depends on your POV.  Nearly a year seems like a pretty long time to me, especially considering I seem to change cars every 18 months very unexpectedly.

I won't be doing that.  Plus this car comes at a fairly bad time, just coming off graduation.  I'll be keeping it for at least 5 years, most likely.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: NACar on September 04, 2007, 06:39:14 PM
That is a long time.
Get a BMW.

I'd consider a 128i, but it's most likely going to be even more expensive than the GTI, which is already out of my price range.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  on September 04, 2007, 07:28:15 PM
I'd consider a 128i, but it's most likely going to be even more expensive than the GTI, which is already out of my price range.

Get a SMRT... I mean a SMART! FORTWO!

Raza

Quote from: NACar on September 04, 2007, 07:38:36 PM
Get a SMRT... I mean a SMART! FORTWO!

I think having the weekend sports car be the more practical of the two is a little silly.  How much are you selling the st33m for?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  on September 04, 2007, 07:46:48 PM
I think having the weekend sports car be the more practical of the two is a little silly.  How much are you selling the st33m for?

You can come pick it up for $2000.

sandertheshark

A friend of mine back in Jersey is looking for a new car and came up with this:

Cars.com search result: E28 BMW M5

Snap it up before he does.

Raza

15 grand for an E28 is not a good price.  I'd rather have an E34, and I can get one for not much more.  But, I don't know how reliable it would be.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

sandertheshark

Quote from: Raza  on September 04, 2007, 08:22:12 PM
15 grand for an E28 is not a good price.
You realize there were only 1320 of those made, right?

Raza

Quote from: sandertheshark on September 04, 2007, 08:24:44 PM
You realize there were only 1320 of those made, right?

No, I did not know that.

But why pay for rarity when I won't enjoy it? 

Hell, for 3-5 grand more, I could get an E38 M5.  And it gets better gas mileage. 

It's odd how the M5 prices have evened out over time.  If only they got more than 19-21mpg...

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

sandertheshark

Quote from: Raza  on September 04, 2007, 08:33:50 PM
No, I did not know that.

But why pay for rarity when I won't enjoy it? 
Well, I would enjoy it...

Raza

Quote from: sandertheshark on September 04, 2007, 08:35:08 PM
Well, I would enjoy it...

If I could keep it pristine, I'd enjoy it as well.  But 30 thousand miles a year on a car like that would run it into the ground, and I don't want to be responsible for that.  A 1991 or 2001 M5 would be a better fit.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

sandertheshark

I see what you mean.  You're right, you shouldn't have that car.

Eye of the Tiger

Test drive a Honda Fit. I bet you'd like something like that. Lower purchase price, use even less gas for your long commute, has super handling, and for goodness sakes you already have a Boxter you can drive whenever you feel like having some real fun. 
I wonder if there are still waiting lists for them. :huh:

Raza

Quote from: NACar on September 04, 2007, 08:45:24 PM
Test drive a Honda Fit. I bet you'd like something like that. Lower purchase price, use even less gas for your long commute, has super handling, and for goodness sakes you already have a Boxter you can drive whenever you feel like having some real fun. 

This is going to sound strange coming from me, but they're just a little too slow to be merging in and out of highways everyday.  I just don't think they're all that effective as highway cars.  They get EPA 38, but I don't want to be flogging it all the time.  Plus, for the same price, I could get a used EP Civic Si, which looks better and is faster. 

The Fit is a good choice; perhaps great, but I just don't want it.

Also, I don't seem to find out if there is a sunroof available or not.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  on September 04, 2007, 08:56:56 PM
This is going to sound strange coming from me, but they're just a little too slow to be merging in and out of highways everyday.  I just don't think they're all that effective as highway cars.  They get EPA 38, but I don't want to be flogging it all the time.  Plus, for the same price, I could get a used EP Civic Si, which looks better and is faster. 

The Fit is a good choice; perhaps the best, but I just don't want it.

That's not really a good excuse. If you just want more power, that's fine, but you don't need it. If a 30,000lb truck can merge on to the highway with 400hp, then a 2400lb Honda Fit can do it with 109 hp. Anyways, flogging a Fit can't be anything but fun, and I cant imagine it requiring a whole lot of effort. Plus the Fit has VTAK!  I'm sure it doens't mind being revved, in fact I'm sure it enjoys it.

On the other hand, floggin the Esteem with 95hp sucks and is tiring because the engine does not make any top-end power and the synchros in the gearbox suck ass.
Passing on 2-lane rural highways uphill is just about the worst, but merging on the interstate is not exactly a chore, it cruises at 90mph just fine. Passing moves on the interstate only require a downshift to 4th, and a little bit of patience.

I say, if you want to be lazy, you might as well stick with an automatic. :P

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  on September 04, 2007, 08:56:56 PM
The Fit is a good choice; perhaps great, but I just don't want it.

I used to not want a Focus. Seriously. I'd look at the thing and just think, "that is an ugly chick car". But then I drove a few, and then I bought one.  :huh:

J86

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=10852.msg559741#msg559741 date=1188955630
I won't be doing that.? Plus this car comes at a fairly bad time, just coming off graduation.? I'll be keeping it for at least 5 years, most likely.

I'm just too cheap to spend money like that on a new daily grind car.  I'd just slop around in couple thousand dollar beaters, keeping the Porsche for the fun stuff.

Danish

Quote from: NACar on September 04, 2007, 08:45:24 PM

:rolleyes:

Just go for the Suzuki Reno
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

Raza

Quote from: NACar on September 04, 2007, 09:14:17 PM

I used to not want a Focus. Seriously. I'd look at the thing and just think, "that is an ugly chick car". But then I drove a few, and then I bought one.  :huh:

I don't want to go out on a limb buying a car that I might grow to like and have to be stuck with it for 5 years and not like it.  The Rabbit is only a few grand more, still within my price range, and it has things like a sunroof, which is pretty essential for my enjoyment of a daily car.  Hell, if I could, I'd find a four place convertible that fits my needs just so that I could conceivably have the top down every day of the week.  I would drive the Fit, if it had that little glass panel; but unlike the MS3, it's not special enough for me to give it an allowance for that. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: J86 on September 05, 2007, 10:23:53 AM
I'm just too cheap to spend money like that on a new daily grind car.  I'd just slop around in couple thousand dollar beaters, keeping the Porsche for the fun stuff.

I don't see the point of having the car you drive the majority of the time being a car you don't enjoy.  If 90% of my driving isn't the least bit fun, I'd be miserable. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  on September 05, 2007, 01:10:27 PM
I don't want to go out on a limb buying a car that I might grow to like and have to be stuck with it for 5 years and not like it.  The Rabbit is only a few grand more, still within my price range, and it has things like a sunroof, which is pretty essential for my enjoyment of a daily car.  Hell, if I could, I'd find a four place convertible that fits my needs just so that I could conceivably have the top down every day of the week.  I would drive the Fit, if it had that little glass panel; but unlike the MS3, it's not special enough for me to give it an allowance for that. 

It is not impossible to get an aftermarket sunroof installed.
Nevertheless, I think the Rabbit is a good choice, especially for the price.

Raza

Quote from: NACar on September 05, 2007, 08:13:11 PM
It is not impossible to get an aftermarket sunroof installed.
Nevertheless, I think the Rabbit is a good choice, especially for the price.

While that's true, I have a feeling that the Fit will always feel like a bronze medal compared to the Rabbit or the Civic Si. 

Does anyone know about this sound system on the Civic Si sedan that's not available on the coupe?  Is it worth it?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

If you want to be cheap, the Fit is cheaper, even if you decide to get a sunroof installed (perhaps $1000), gets most excellent MPG, supposedly has great handling, and I think interior looks quite nice. I wouldn't not test drive one if I were you. Also, don't forget that the Fit got 1st place in C&D's comparison test, while the Suzuki Reno got 7th (even losing to the Caliper, OMG!). http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/10983/2007-honda-fit-sport.html :praise:

Raza

I read that before.  All I read was "Reno is teh awesome".

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

Get a Reno, then. It would be the ulitmate joke to play on yourself.  :praise:

omicron

You there, Nicholas! Stop this Fit nonsense.

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: omicron on September 06, 2007, 09:37:25 AM
You there, Nicholas! Stop this Fit nonsense.

I would like to hear your suggestion, Mr. Cron. What should Raza purchase for his daily-driver, a 1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible?  :rolleyes: