Tire Pressure for when car is full of stuffs?

Started by Danish, August 28, 2007, 05:28:35 PM

Danish

I will be moving about 400 miles away on Thursday. My car will be full of stuff and I was wondering: Should I increase the tire pressure prior to leaving?

My car ('01 Corolla) runs about 30 psi on its tires.

Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

J86

I just moved 400 miles with all my worldy posessions towing a 20 foot boat...I just left the pressure, tires didnt look too bad.

ifcar

Quote from: Danish on August 28, 2007, 05:28:35 PM
I will be moving about 400 miles away on Thursday. My car will be full of stuff and I was wondering: Should I increase the tire pressure prior to leaving?

Well, by increasing your load, you'll automatically be increasing the pressure. More pounds per square inch if there are more pounds.

JWC

The sidewall of your tire is where you'll find the best information for this question.  Generally, an increase of two or three psi is a good idea.  It helps insure that the tire will not over heat and shred, especially this time of year.

Champ

I'd increase a few PSI.

My car's manual states for when there are more passengers in the car the PSI needs to go up.  Plus it makes sense.

Champ

Quote from: ifcar on August 28, 2007, 05:48:12 PM
Well, by increasing your load, you'll automatically be increasing the pressure. More pounds per square inch if there are more pounds.
He's talking about internal air pressure not external force to the road.  Think this way: take the tire off your car, does it still have the same PSI it did when it was on the car?  Yes.

Unless you were just joking, then you need more smiley faces.

Raghavan

Quote from: ifcar on August 28, 2007, 05:48:12 PM
But that puts more stress on the sidewall, and adding more pressure will help the sidewall be stiffer.

I'd put the pressure in your tires at about 50-60 PSI. :devil:

ifcar

Quote from: Champ on August 28, 2007, 07:36:27 PM
He's talking about internal air pressure not external force to the road.  Think this way: take the tire off your car, does it still have the same PSI it did when it was on the car?  Yes.

Unless you were just joking, then you need more smiley faces.

:lol: :rolleyes: :praise: ;) :devil: :ohyeah: :huh: :banghead: :P :confused: :mask: :nono: :pullover: :rockon: :( :tounge: :cry: :frown: :mrcool: :partyon: :zzz: :evildude: :lockedup: :thumbsup:

Happy?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Danish on August 28, 2007, 05:28:35 PM

You might as well set your Corolla on fire now and get it over with, because it will never make that trip. :rolleyes:
40psi should do it
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Champ

BimmerM3

Pancor

Check the sidewall for the maximum pressure rating.  Do not exceed this, ever!   If your tire carries a load rating of say, "85", that is only good if you are running the maximum pressure.  Any less air and your load rating is effectively decreased.   Unless you're of Indian descent, I doubt you're loading up this Corolla that badly.  I would honestly just visually check the squat on the tire, and adjust accordingly until they look fine or until you hit the max pressure!

Raghavan

Quote from: Pancor on August 28, 2007, 09:49:31 PM
Check the sidewall for the maximum pressure rating.  Do not exceed this, ever!   If your tire carries a load rating of say, "85", that is only good if you are running the maximum pressure.  Any less air and your load rating is effectively decreased.   Unless you're of Indian descent, I doubt you're loading up this Corolla that badly.  I would honestly just visually check the squat on the tire, and adjust accordingly until they look fine or until you hit the max pressure!
Uh.... Danish is of Indian descent. :lol: :mask:

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Pancor on August 28, 2007, 09:49:31 PM
Unless you're of Indian descent, I doubt you're loading up this Corolla that badly.

He's Pakistani :lol: :lol: :lol:

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Pancor

Well then I guess our advice is worthless!  We'll probably see this car going down the road with double its height and weight of furniture, perhaps some livestock, strapped to the roof.   

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Pancor on August 28, 2007, 09:55:38 PM
Well then I guess our advice is worthless!  We'll probably see this car going down the road with double its height and weight of furniture, perhaps some livestock, strapped to the roof.   

I took this pic in India last month

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

The Pirate

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

AutobahnSHO

Believe it or not they paint the tire PSI on each fender of our Humvees. 
Different loads take different PSIs-

and for whatever reason the current truck I'm driving says 25psi on the fronts, 20 on the rear.  (It's a Humvee with the "aftermarket armor" welded on and a fiberglass top.)

Others which have ambulances or radio shops on the back take more sometimes...
Will

etypeJohn

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 28, 2007, 10:58:02 PM
Believe it or not they paint the tire PSI on each fender of our Humvees.?
Different loads take different PSIs-

and for whatever reason the current truck I'm driving says 25psi on the fronts, 20 on the rear.? (It's a Humvee with the "aftermarket armor" welded on and a fiberglass top.)

Others which have ambulances or radio shops on the back take more sometimes...

I remember that on our ambulances inthe 70's, something like "TP 28" stencled on the fender above each tire.

SVT_Power

You should ask nick. If he runs the esteem with regular tire pressure with him in the car, you can run regular pressure with anything in the car.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: M_power on August 29, 2007, 11:31:16 AM
You should ask nick. If he runs the esteem with regular tire pressure with him in the car, you can run regular pressure with anything in the car.

I'm running 40psi on the right side, and 150psi on the left side becaue I'm just so damn fat.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: NACar on August 29, 2007, 11:35:34 AM
I'm running 40psi on the right side, and 150psi on the left side becaue I'm just so damn fat.

You may want to invest in some "Load Rating E" tires for the 'st33m.

SVT_Power

Quote from: NACar on August 29, 2007, 11:35:34 AM

nice d00d
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Danish

I ended up going from 30 psi to 33 psi all around. Also, because these tires have a smaller sidewall than the stockers (195/60 vs. 185/65) I just ended up keeping the pressure the same since I've gotten here.

Danish

What do you think Pancor? :lol:

That was taken on the way.

Raza

I don't know how much you're packing (stuffing the car full, towing, stuff on roof?), but when I move to and from apartments, I just give it the same as I would for any long trip, which is the manufacturer's recommended number.  But that's maybe only 500-700 pounds or so of cargo. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger