Weight vs. Power

Started by SVT666, August 30, 2007, 12:43:46 PM

Assuming both cars are RWD, what would you prefer?

2800 lbs and 200 hp
9 (45%)
3500 lbs and 400 hp
11 (55%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 30, 2007, 11:31:23 PM
http://www.turbokart.com/home.htm

There are a few more guys that have done similar projects, and believe it or not there used to be commercially available rocket powered go-karts for sale in the '60s...

Personally, I just don't find rocket engines very involving to drive. I'd rather stick a 'busa powertrain on my go-kart.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

And I'm sure you just have weeks of seat time driving turbine and rocket powered vehicles, huh? :ohyeah:
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 30, 2007, 11:36:53 PM
And I'm sure you just have weeks of seat time driving turbine and rocket powered vehicles, huh? :ohyeah:

Who doesn't? :lol:

Raghavan

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on August 30, 2007, 11:30:31 PM
It sure seems like you're just fishing for more Mustang love.
Burned! :lol:

SVT666

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on August 30, 2007, 11:30:31 PM
It sure seems like you're just fishing for more Mustang love.
Where did I describe a Mustang in this thread?  Even in the poll it says 400 hp, not 300 hp.  If anything the GTO or standard Vette is closer to that description then a Mustang is.

JYODER240, I'm not describing any specific cars here.  Consider them both sporty cars, or sports cars, or supercars, or sedans.  I don't give a shit, just pick one.  This is basically to find out if weight really matters to SPINNERS as much as all the complaining about weight on there boards seem to indicate.  This poll seems to show that weights matters to a bunch of members here, but not the majority.

Onslaught

I like my cars and females thin. Very thin.
Fat is too hard to get off.

J86

Ooh, look what I started :lol:

The Pirate

I like both.  I could honestly get the same amount of enjoyment with either set up.  I had loads of fun with my Civic, and that was a basic economy car with 106 hp and a stock suspension.  Some of you guys are getting rather worked up.

If I had to pick though, I'd opt for the heavier car with more power.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

SVT666

Quote from: The Pirate on August 31, 2007, 10:39:49 AM
I like both.? I could honestly get the same amount of enjoyment with either set up.? I had loads of fun with my Civic, and that was a basic economy car with 106 hp and a stock suspension.? Some of you guys are getting rather worked up.
I agree.  Both are fun, but they are different kinds of fun.  My Sunfire GT is surpringly quite fun because it's light and small, but I still prefer throttle induced oversteer and a more substantial feel to the car.

JYODER240

Quote from: HEMI666 on August 31, 2007, 07:42:24 AM
Where did I describe a Mustang in this thread?? Even in the poll it says 400 hp, not 300 hp.? If anything the GTO or standard Vette is closer to that description then a Mustang is.

JYODER240, I'm not describing any specific cars here.? Consider them both sporty cars, or sports cars, or supercars, or sedans.? I don't give a shit, just pick one.? This is basically to find out if weight really matters to SPINNERS as much as all the complaining about weight on there boards seem to indicate.? This poll seems to show that weights matters to a bunch of members here, but not the majority.

It's not that easy. You're assuming that all light cars are equal. Not all 2800lbs cars handle well. Some are great handlers some handle worse than a 4000lb car. Asking if you favor handling over straightline power would have made more sense.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

The Pirate

Quote from: JYODER240 on August 31, 2007, 05:16:02 PM
It's not that easy. You're assuming that all light cars are equal. Not all 2800lbs cars handle well. Some are great handlers some handle worse than a 4000lb car. Asking if you favor handling over straightline power would have made more sense.

I think you are over analyzing here.  Assume both cars are competent handlers.  Do you prefer a lighter car with less power, or a heavier car with more power?  It's that simple.

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: The Pirate on August 31, 2007, 05:23:40 PM

I think you are over analyzing here.  Assume both cars are competent handlers.  Do you prefer a lighter car with less power, or a heavier car with more power?  It's that simple.

If you're going to assume that all other things are equal, then you might as well just ask if you prefer to have a higher or lower power-to-weight ratio, and that is a silly question!
I think in this case, more weight must mean worse handling and braking, otherwise there is no point.

The Pirate

Quote from: NACar on August 31, 2007, 05:29:48 PM
If you're going to assume that all other things are equal, then you might as well just ask if you prefer to have a higher or lower power-to-weight ratio, and that is a silly question!
I think in this case, more weight must mean worse handling and braking, otherwise there is no point.

I never said equal handling.  I said both are competent handlers.  A Porsche Boxster is a competent handler.  A Mustang GT is competent handler.  They are not equal.

Again, reading too much into the question!  It's not fucking rocket science.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: The Pirate on August 31, 2007, 05:40:20 PM

I never said equal handling.  I said both are competent handlers.  A Porsche Boxster is a competent handler.  A Mustang GT is competent handler.  They are not equal.

Again, reading too much into the question!  It's not fucking rocket science.

Ah... but don't rockets also require a certain weight for nimble handling, as well as a certain amount of power to make them fun to drive? :thumbsup:

sportyaccordy

Less weight please

And again there are a lot of factors to consider. There is a huge gap between something cool, like an M3, or something "else", like an old Mustang Cobra or supercharged Mercury Marauder

I don't live in a city where I could take advantage of 400HP... gas mileage is a killer for me so I'd go with the lighter car. Plus you can always get more power. Too many factors

SVT32V

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 04, 2007, 06:43:45 AM
Less weight please

And again there are a lot of factors to consider. There is a huge gap between something cool, like an M3, or something "else", like an underpowered poorly balanced front wheel drive honda

I don't live in a city where I could take advantage of 400HP... gas mileage is a killer for me so I'd go with the lighter car. Plus you can always get more power. Too many factors
Fixed it for you!  :tounge:

Danish

Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.