C&D: '08 Viper vs. '07 Z06

Started by GoCougs, August 30, 2007, 07:46:25 PM

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: JYODER240 on September 01, 2007, 08:59:46 AM
Look at the differences in times. They're basicaly identical and the Viper was only slightly faster. Not only are the numbers so close that you wouldn't notice a difference but they're not as important as people make them out to be to begin with.

The stupid comparison contradicts itself, untimately giving the Vette the win because it is more comfortable and luxurious.
Viper was easier to drive on the track. Viper has better numbers. Viper is the better sports car.
The Vette is just the better extreme daily driver.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

S204STi

Quote from: sportyaccordy on August 31, 2007, 06:50:41 AM
When a car is called rough in comparison to Corvette Z06, it's basically an oxcart. Plus the performance numbers are too close to call the Viper the *better performer*, especially with a 100HP advantage.? I would take the Vette and pocket the change, maybe buy a Civic or something.

Good point.

S204STi

Quote from: JYODER240 on August 31, 2007, 05:03:55 PM
Call me crazy but I'd probably take this over either.

Good choice.  So would I.

Eye of the Tiger

JYODER240

Quote from: NACar on September 01, 2007, 09:08:13 AM
The stupid comparison contradicts itself, untimately giving the Vette the win because it is more comfortable and luxurious.
Viper was easier to drive on the track. Viper has better numbers. Viper is the better sports car.
The Vette is just the better extreme daily driver.

Being easier to drive is a good thing, but look how close the numbers between the two are. The Viper is quicker to 60, 100, and through the 1/4 by .1 of a second. It pulled 1 instead of .99g's on the skidpad, was only .2mph faster through the slalom and was .5 of a second faster around the track. Not only is that so close that you would never feel it but it's meaningless. Almost no one is ever going to take either of these out and race them and if they do there's no way they will be left stock. Very few of these will ever see a dragstrip and even less will see a road course. The only major advantage the Viper has is that it is easier to drive at the limit which is something very few owners will ever reach. The Viper is the better track car and the Vette is the better road car. The vette is essentialy just as fast but more liveable. For the vast majority of people shopping in this segmet that is more important. I can see where the diehard enthusiast would rather have the Viper since it is better to drive at the limit but saying the Viper is better because it has better numbers is rediculous.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Lebowski

Quote from: 565 on September 01, 2007, 09:17:41 AM
:huh:? Why not?

I mean I WOULD drive the Z06 daily without thinking twice.  It's perfectly acceptable as a daily driver IMO.  The Viper is not an acceptable daily driver IMO, especially given all the comments in just about every review I've read complaining about interior heat, the fact that I live in FL, and the fact that I sweat like a pig.

Quote from: Lebowski on September 01, 2007, 09:39:30 AM
I mean I WOULD drive the Z06 daily without thinking twice.? It's perfectly acceptable as a daily driver IMO.? The Viper is not an acceptable daily driver IMO, especially given all the comments in just about every review I've read complaining about interior heat, the fact that I live in FL, and the fact that I sweat like a pig.

Yeah... I failed at reading.  My bad.

giant_mtb

Quote from: JYODER240 on September 01, 2007, 08:59:46 AM
Look at the differences in times. They're basicaly identical and the Viper was only slightly faster. Not only are the numbers so close that you wouldn't notice a difference but they're not as important as people make them out to be to begin with.

I do indeed realize that, but the basis of a sports car comparison should be upon speed.  Although the Viper is only slightly faster, it's still faster.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: JYODER240 on September 01, 2007, 09:27:58 AM
Being easier to drive is a good thing, but look how close the numbers between the two are. The Viper is quicker to 60, 100, and through the 1/4 by .1 of a second. It pulled 1 instead of .99g's on the skidpad, was only .2mph faster through the slalom and was .5 of a second faster around the track. Not only is that so close that you would never feel it but it's meaningless. Almost no one is ever going to take either of these out and race them and if they do there's no way they will be left stock. Very few of these will ever see a dragstrip and even less will see a road course. The only major advantage the Viper has is that it is easier to drive at the limit which is something very few owners will ever reach. The Viper is the better track car and the Vette is the better road car. The vette is essentialy just as fast but more liveable. For the vast majority of people shopping in this segmet that is more important. I can see where the diehard enthusiast would rather have the Viper since it is better to drive at the limit but saying the Viper is better because it has better numbers is rediculous.

Yeah, I know numbers aren't everything, but the Viper was just more focused than the Vette at being what it's supposed to be. C&D isn't supposed to give the win to the car that will be easier to drive for old men who just want to look cool (Viper looks cooler anyway), they are supposed to give the win to the best performance car. The start out the article by saying you... nevermind, I don't even fucking care what they say anymore. They're a bunch of old geezers. Bottom line, the Vette only really beat the Viper because it was more comfortable, luxurious and had a better interior, otherwise it's basically a tie. The Vette is not the better sports car, it's just the better car car.

giant_mtb

NAR NAR NAR ELECTRONIC NANNIES ARE FOR GRAMPAS AT C-AND-FUCKING-D.  I DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' ABS, TRACTION CONTROL, OR STABILITY CONTROL!  VETTE SUCKS.  VIPER WINS.  NAR NAR NAR

JYODER240

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 01, 2007, 09:41:31 AM
I do indeed realize that, but the basis of a sports car comparison should be upon speed.? Although the Viper is only slightly faster, it's still faster.

It is going to be a drivers race every single time between these two cars. You won't ever feel the difference between the two. BTW race cars are about speed, sports cars are about what's the most fun to drive.

JYODER240

Quote from: NACar on September 01, 2007, 09:50:05 AM

Yeah, I know numbers aren't everything, but the Viper was just more focused than the Vette at being what it's supposed to be. C&D isn't supposed to give the win to the car that will be easier to drive for old men who just want to look cool (Viper looks cooler anyway), they are supposed to give the win to the best performance car. The start out the article by saying you... nevermind, I don't even fucking care what they say anymore. They're a bunch of old geezers. Bottom line, the Vette only really beat the Viper because it was more comfortable, luxurious and had a better interior, otherwise it's basically a tie. The Vette is not the better sports car, it's just the better car car.

pretty much yes, but they do compare these cars based on how they perform on both the street and the track. Afterall they are both streetlegal and will see very little time on any track. Street legal cars are compromised and they are reviewed as such.

giant_mtb

Quote from: JYODER240 on September 01, 2007, 10:44:51 AM
It is going to be a drivers race every single time between these two cars. You won't ever feel the difference between the two. BTW race cars are about speed, sports cars are about what's the most fun to drive.

...if you wanna talk about "most fun", then I guess you'll also be glad to know that C&D rated the Viper as more fun to drive than the Vette.  :huh:

...plus they also explain how the Vette is "frighteningly tail-happy on the track" and how the Viper has tenacious grip at the rear end.  I'd certainly think that being able to drive around without being scared half to death in the Viper would be a bit more fun than feeling like death whenever you pushed the Vette around.

...granted, hardly any of us will push a car to that limit, but that's not the point.

JYODER240

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 01, 2007, 11:04:40 AM
...if you wanna talk about "most fun", then I guess you'll also be glad to know that C&D rated the Viper as more fun to drive than the Vette.? :huh:

...plus they also explain how the Vette is "frighteningly tail-happy on the track" and how the Viper has tenacious grip at the rear end.? I'd certainly think that being able to drive around without being scared half to death in the Viper would be a bit more fun than feeling like death whenever you pushed the Vette around.

...granted, hardly any of us will push a car to that limit, but that's not the point.

Where did I say the Vette is more fun to drive or better on the track?

the Teuton

From what I understand, Vipers are like driving trucks when at low speeds.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

JYODER240

Quote from: the Teuton on September 01, 2007, 11:14:27 AM
From what I understand, Vipers are like driving trucks when at low speeds.

They're like driving trucks at any speed only they're very very fast.

the Teuton

And I had also heard that the clutch in the Viper is extremely stiff and really doesn't have any give to it.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

JYODER240

Yeah but it's nothing unbearable. I actually prefer a stiffer clutch.

The gearshift is ridiculously heavy and balky. It's not very precise either. The ride is as firm as they come and the cabin is cramped and hot. The engine makes alot of noise. It doesn't sound particulary good but it is very loud. It is one of the fastest, most brutal, scariest cars you can drive. You kinda feel like it could kill you at any moment. You need to be an extremely good driver to push it on a racetrack, you can pretty much forget about it on undulating, tight, backroads.

sportyaccordy

15 years later Chrysler still hasn't figured out how to make the exhaust not cook occupants?

Z06 please

SVT666

Quote from: Lebowski on September 01, 2007, 08:55:17 AM
:confused:

I wouldn't think twice about driving a Z06 every day.
Most reviews I've seen or read say the Z06's tire roar gets very annoying very quickly in everyday driving.

SVT666

Quote from: JYODER240 on September 01, 2007, 09:27:58 AM
It pulled 1 instead of .99g's on the skidpad, was only .2mph faster through the slalom and was .5 of a second faster around the track. Not only is that so close that you would never feel it but it's meaningless.
According to certain users' posts in a couple of other threads they can feel the difference if it's 0.05 seconds better in the 1/4 mile. :P

I agree with you, but for me the Viper is just so badass I could never buy a Vette over it , no matter how fast the Vette is.

SVT666

Quote from: JYODER240 on September 01, 2007, 11:16:17 AM
They're like driving trucks at any speed only they're very very fast.
Have you ever driven a truck?  Vipers don't drive like trucks.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: sportyaccordy on August 31, 2007, 06:50:41 AM
When a car is called rough in comparison to Corvette Z06, it's basically an oxcart. Plus the performance numbers are too close to call the Viper the *better performer*, especially with a 100HP advantage.  I would take the Vette and pocket the change, maybe buy a Civic or something.
Agreed!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

giant_mtb

Quote from: JYODER240 on September 01, 2007, 11:10:13 AM
Where did I say the Vette is more fun to drive or better on the track?

You didn't, but you said that sports cars are about what's more fun to drive, and since you weren't convinced by the small difference in numbers, I figured that the also small margin that the Viper won by in the "fun to drive" category combined with the small numbers lead would maybe perhaps convince you.  Maybe.  Almost.

Lebowski

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 01, 2007, 03:23:00 PM
Most reviews I've seen or read say the Z06's tire roar gets very annoying very quickly in everyday driving.

Tire noise doesn't bother me, it's a sports car not a lexus.  Still wouldn't think twice about driving one every day.

And speaking of things that are "annoying", tire roar isn't even in the same realm as the exhaust cooking you!

goldenlover1101

the new viper is impressive, but with that much hp you would think the time advantage would be larger. I would take a Corvette without a second thought.

"The more people I meet the more I like my dog."

giant_mtb

Quote from: goldenlover1101 on September 02, 2007, 08:59:40 AM
the new viper is impressive, but with that much hp you would think the time advantage would be larger. I would take a Corvette without a second thought.

Perhaps the GM generals are lyingz about za true powa output of teh Zee oh Six Vette?!  They is under-rated it! 

JYODER240

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 01, 2007, 03:33:57 PM
Have you ever driven a truck?? Vipers don't drive like trucks.

It rides much firmer than the F-150s, Rams, etc. It jostles you around like a box truck.

JYODER240

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 01, 2007, 10:39:15 PM
You didn't, but you said that sports cars are about what's more fun to drive, and since you weren't convinced by the small difference in numbers, I figured that the also small margin that the Viper won by in the "fun to drive" category combined with the small numbers lead would maybe perhaps convince you.? Maybe.? Almost.

Convince me of what? The Viper is the better car? I already said the Viper is the better track car and the Z06 is the better road car. What's wrong with that?