Problems with my climate control

Started by TheIntrepid, August 31, 2007, 12:05:20 PM

TheIntrepid

So this morning my A/C wouldn't turn on.

The A/C doesn't work on any fan speed but max, and even at max, only a little air comes out of the vents. The rear seat vents blow perfectly.

What's wrong with my baby? :cry:

(BTW this is the Intrepid)

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

The Pirate

Resistor for the blower motor, maybe?
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

TheIntrepid

Champ

Are you using A/C as a term of any air that comes out of the vents, or actually "air conditioned" air - the cold stuff?

If there is low air volume (i.e. blower fan not going), I'd check fuses and then the switch.

If you are talking about air coming out but not cold, then it can be a slew of things!  Most likely a leak or you need a new compressor, or a blown fuse.

The Pirate

Quote from: TheIntrepid on August 31, 2007, 12:24:40 PM
How much will this cost to fix? :mask:

Are you going to do it yourself?

I don't even know if the resistor is the problem, it's just a guess on my part.  Have a mechanic or the dealer look at it to be sure.  Though, if it is indeed the blower motor resistor, replacement shouldn't be terribly expensive, I'd guess less than $200 bucks installed, at a dealer. 
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

TheIntrepid

No I'm not touching it myself. I'm dropping it off at the Chrysler dealer on my way home today, and I'll probably pick up a rental or get a shuttle home.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: TheIntrepid on August 31, 2007, 12:29:18 PM
No I'm not touching it myself. I'm dropping it off at the Chrysler dealer on my way home today, and I'll probably pick up a rental or get a shuttle home.

are you going to deliver your pizzas in the rental? :thumbsup:
i've always wanted to deliver pizzas, i think it would be kickass
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MX793

Does it not blow air only when the A/C is on, or does no air come out of the front vents under any HVAC setting?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

S204STi

Sounds like clogged cabin air filter and and issue with the blower resistor (or blower control module if it has automatic climate control).

giant_mtb

Perhaps an animal is lodged in the vent/tube thing.  It has happened to us before.  :huh:

SVT_Power

we've had a very similar problem in the explorer.

A/C (or heating i dunno about heating because it developed this summer) only works on full. But it blows like it should on full. Air's still cold though. I took it to a dealer and they said they have to plug it into something to diagnose the problem and they want a full hour of labour just for that :rage:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

S204STi

Quote from: M_power on August 31, 2007, 11:56:24 PM
we've had a very similar problem in the explorer.

A/C (or heating i dunno about heating because it developed this summer) only works on full. But it blows like it should on full. Air's still cold though. I took it to a dealer and they said they have to plug it into something to diagnose the problem and they want a full hour of labour just for that :rage:

That's a bummer.  Especially since it sounds like a resistor block, which takes no more than .5 to diag.

S204STi

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 31, 2007, 10:28:51 PM
Perhaps an animal is lodged in the vent/tube thing.? It has happened to us before.? :huh:

That reminds me of the time I pulled a blower motor for being noisey and had a desiccated mouse fall on the ground next to my face... :mask:

JWC

I'd guess that the blower motor is bad and pulling too many amps...burning out the resistor. 

TheIntrepid

Update:

There is no update :lol: , I have to drop it off at the Chrysler dealer on Tuesday morning at 9:00am. :huh:

TheIntrepid

Car's in service now. The problem with the climate control was the control switches, they were fucked up, but its costing me $135 including new brake pads and an oil filter/change.

I have a base Charger 3.5 loaner in the driveway now. :praise:

S204STi

Quote from: TheIntrepid on September 04, 2007, 08:42:47 AM
Car's in service now. The problem with the climate control was the control switches, they were fucked up, but its costing me $135 including new brake pads and an oil filter/change.

I have a base Charger 3.5 loaner in the driveway now. :praise:

That's dirt cheap man.  So much for dealer goudging.   :devil:

TheIntrepid

Climate Control Resistor Blower Motor.

:confused:

They just replaced that.

S204STi

Quote from: TheIntrepid on September 04, 2007, 02:28:55 PM
Climate Control Resistor Blower Motor.

:confused: