Which would you choose?

Boxster S
Elise
Corvette
Z4 M
SLK350

Raza

Quote from: JYODER240 on September 02, 2007, 10:24:23 AM
Doesn't really compete with the others so I didn't include it.

The Elise doesn't really compete with them either, other than on price.  The Elise is a different animal.  The only direct competitor Lotus has for a Porsche is the Europa, which isn't a convertible, but is a perfect competition for the Cayman. 

I chose the Boxster S.  Almost as dynamic as the Elise (though if you read CR and believe them, the Elise and Boxster are on the same level), more well rounded, and not as fragile.  Yes, part of you will always want an Elise, but most of you will know that you made the right decision going for the Porsche.  Of course, the same could be said for the reverse situation.  :lol:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on September 02, 2007, 11:22:56 AM
If the Targa is out, then ditto for me.  Though I don't really like drop tops in general (it's much cheaper to have a bike for an open air experience).

Yeah, but wearing a helmet is like having a roof over your head, isn't it? 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on September 05, 2007, 01:15:32 PM
Yeah, but wearing a helmet is like having a roof over your head, isn't it? 

Not really.  You can feel the sun on your back and shoulders (and the helmet does little to shade the sun from your face, there's not enough front overhang).  In the rain, a helmet does little more than a rain hat when it comes to keeping you dry.  And you can always open the visor to get the full-wind-in-your-face, bugs-in-your-teeth experience.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

sandertheshark

Quote from: MX793 on September 05, 2007, 06:30:51 PM
Not really.  You can feel the sun on your back and shoulders (and the helmet does little to shade the sun from your face, there's not enough front overhang).  In the rain, a helmet does little more than a rain hat when it comes to keeping you dry.  And you can always open the visor to get the full-wind-in-your-face, bugs-in-your-teeth experience.
And it still messes up your hair, just in a different way.

JYODER240

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=10930.msg560153#msg560153 date=1189019677
The Elise doesn't really compete with them either, other than on price.? The Elise is a different animal.? The only direct competitor Lotus has for a Porsche is the Europa, which isn't a convertible, but is a perfect competition for the Cayman.?

I chose the Boxster S.? Almost as dynamic as the Elise (though if you read CR and believe them, the Elise and Boxster are on the same level), more well rounded, and not as fragile.? Yes, part of you will always want an Elise, but most of you will know that you made the right decision going for the Porsche.? Of course, the same could be said for the reverse situation.? :lol:

Check out some Elise forums. Most of those guys cross-shopped with the S2000 or Boxster. If the Elise didn't exist a lot of those guys would be driving Boxsters, and vice-versa to an extent.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Raza

Quote from: JYODER240 on September 05, 2007, 08:42:23 PM
Check out some Elise forums. Most of those guys cross-shopped with the S2000 or Boxster. If the Elise didn't exist a lot of those guys would be driving Boxsters, and vice-versa to an extent.

Just because they're cross shopped doesn't mean they're true competition.  I know the market, don't condescend me.  I'm talking on a spiritual level, not on a market level. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

JYODER240

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=10930.msg560570#msg560570 date=1189046763
Just because they're cross shopped doesn't mean they're true competition.? I know the market, don't condescend me.? I'm talking on a spiritual level, not on a market level.?

By that line of thinking how many things actually do compete with each other?

Boxster v Z4 -Nope Z4 is FR
Boxster v Vette - Nope, MR flat-6 v softer FR V8
Boxster v SLK - Nope, benz is more of a luxury cruiser
Boxster v Elise - ????

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Champ

Totally different convert vs. motorcycle.  Don't have to wear a helmet, can actually store stuff - they aren't generally interchangable.

ChrisV

Quote from: MX793 on September 05, 2007, 06:30:51 PM

I've had bikes, I've had convertibles. Convertibles are better for being in the elements AND for protecting you from those elements when they turn bad. That's why I no longer have bikes, but still have convertibles. And always will. That and I'm tired of suiting up for motorcycle rides.

In this comparo I chose Elise. I love Corvettes and Porsches, but since I can always have another car for a daily, the Elise says fun car better than any other.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Champ

Quote from: ChrisV on September 07, 2007, 08:12:52 AM
In this comparo I chose Elise. I love Corvettes and Porsches, but since I can always have another car for a daily, the Elise says fun car better than any other.
ditto.  As a second car I don't need anything tame.

Champ

JYODER240

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=10930.msg561681#msg561681 date=1189170076
Now you're just being silly.

ok.

TBR

I voted Boxster because I was thinking along the lines of an only car. But, I think as a second car I would rather have an Elise. I would even daily drive it depending on the commute, I would just want another car for long trips.

MX793

Quote from: Champ on September 07, 2007, 07:16:02 AM
Totally different convert vs. motorcycle.  Don't have to wear a helmet, can actually store stuff - they aren't generally interchangable.

I'd wager that if I plunked down some money for the optional touring hard bags on my bike, it could probably carry about as much as a Solstice with its top down and more storage space than an MR-2 Spyder.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5