King Kong or Godzilla?

Started by the Teuton, September 05, 2007, 02:10:06 PM

Which would you pick (when they were new) with $33k?

Subaru WRX STI
8 (53.3%)
Pontiac GTO
7 (46.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

the Teuton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZliO4rUPvg

This is one of the more interesting comparisons I've seen in a while.  This is the $33k question.  What's your answer?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SVT666

Onslaught

STI for me. If it didn't have the dinner table size rear spoiler.

Soup DeVille

I always thought "Godzilla" referred specifically to the R34 Skylines that once dominated the JGTC?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Minpin

GTO here. The STI is too flashy for me.  :huh:
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

Raza

Easy.  One is fast, one is fast and fun. 

I'll take the GTO. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 05, 2007, 03:25:19 PM
I always thought "Godzilla" referred specifically to the R34 Skylines that once dominated the JGTC?

I thought it referred to the R32 GT-R (and was applied to all following generations).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on September 05, 2007, 04:57:01 PM
I thought it referred to the R32 GT-R (and was applied to all following generations).

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on September 05, 2007, 04:57:01 PM

OK, but still, that's not a Subaru either.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

JYODER240

I wasn't blown away by the GTO when I drove it. It's gearshift is rubbery and balky, with longish throws. It's fast but it's handling wasn't that impressive. Like the Mustang it's better fit for cruising than carving. Edmunds put it well in the vid, "Compared to the STI the GTO feels like it's riding on flat tires with excessive body roll, and slow reactions to steering imputs". I've yet to drive an STI and i'm not the biggest fan of AWD but other than being quicker in a straightline I don't see what advantage the GTO has.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Raza

Quote from: JYODER240 on September 05, 2007, 05:08:11 PM
I wasn't blown away by the GTO when I drove it. It's gearshift is rubbery and balky, with longish throws. It's fast but it's handling wasn't that impressive. Like the Mustang it's better fit for cruising than carving. Edmunds put it well in the vid, "Compared to the STI the GTO feels like it's riding on flat tires with excessive body roll, and slow reactions to steering imputs". I've yet to drive an STI and i'm not the biggest fan of AWD but other than being quicker in a straightline I don't see what advantage the GTO has.

It's fun to drive, and I'd imagine almost as fast around a track.  It's not nearly as stable handling as a car like the STI is.  Though, I can see why the STI is your kind of car; clinically fast, great on paper, but dull to drive under the limit.

Sorry if that's mean, but the STI is just that.  A big disappoinment.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

sandertheshark

JYODER240

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=11002.msg560311#msg560311 date=1189033989
It's fun to drive, and I'd imagine almost as fast around a track.? It's not nearly as stable handling as a car like the STI is.? Though, I can see why the STI is your kind of car; clinically fast, great on paper, but dull to drive under the limit.

Sorry if that's mean, but the STI is just that.? A big disappoinment.

I don't care about which one is faster but I found the GTO boring to drive. It had great power but you get used to that and it doesn't seem as impressive as it once was. It's handling and gearshift were frustrating to me. The car didn't communicate well. Like I said it I haven't driven an STI yet but im banking on it being a better drive than the goat.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

The Pirate

GTO all the way.  It may not offer the razor quick responses or finess of the STi, but it's a very good handling car in it's own right, with gobs of torque.

I'd much rather spend an 8 hour highway trip in the GTO.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

the Teuton

The STI has more insulation than my car, and I've done a few long trips in it without a whole lot of issues.  If it's like my car on steroids x 1000, then I think I'd be perfectly happy with an STI.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

The Pirate

Quote from: the Teuton on September 05, 2007, 05:41:50 PM
The STI has more insulation than my car, and I've done a few long trips in it without a whole lot of issues.  If it's like my car on steroids x 1000, then I think I'd be perfectly happy with an STI.

Not sure if that is in response to my comment about the GTO's perceived superior comfort.  If so, I wasn't really speaking about interior noise (hell, my car is noisy too).  From what I've read, the STi is rather twitchy and nervous on anything less than smooth pavement, and geared very shortly.  I can relate, my car is very similar, and as much as I like it, it can be rather tiring 7 hours into a 600 mile trip.  For a daily driver, I'd much rather have a comfortable GT car.  It's not like the GTO is giving up a ton to the STi either.

If I'm way off base with this reply, kindly ignore my post.  :lol:

Edit:  I'd rather have a base WRX wagon than an STi, anyway.  In fact, I might pick that over the GTO as well.

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Danish

Quote from: The Pirate on September 05, 2007, 05:47:46 PM

Edit:  I'd rather have a base WRX wagon than an STi, anyway.  In fact, I might pick that over the GTO as well.

+1
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

The Pirate

the Teuton

Quote from: The Pirate on September 05, 2007, 05:47:46 PM

Not sure if that is in response to my comment about the GTO's perceived superior comfort.  If so, I wasn't really speaking about interior noise (hell, my car is noisy too).  From what I've read, the STi is rather twitchy and nervous on anything less than smooth pavement, and geared very shortly.  I can relate, my car is very similar, and as much as I like it, it can be rather tiring 7 hours into a 600 mile trip.  For a daily driver, I'd much rather have a comfortable GT car.  It's not like the GTO is giving up a ton to the STi either.

If I'm way off base with this reply, kindly ignore my post.  :lol:

I actually don't think you're off base at all.  The GTO is a much better DD probably except in winter.  But I'm a rally-bred Subie whore.  I have a Subaru Rally Team t-shirt.  Out of these two, I'd go for the STI.  I'd go for a different Subaru if it weren't just between these two.

Danish

Quote from: The Pirate on September 05, 2007, 06:00:54 PM

Quit copying me!  :rage: :lol:

:lol:

I still can't decide between the GTO and STI, neither of them really... appeal to me

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Danish on September 05, 2007, 06:02:44 PM
:lol:

I still can't decide between the GTO and STI, neither of them really... appeal to me

that's cuz ur GAY. go get a new beetle, you know you just love that little flower vase
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Danish

Quote from: NACar on September 05, 2007, 06:08:00 PM
that's cuz ur GAY. go get a new beetle, you know you just love that little flower vase

:rolleyes:

I just meant that while I wouldn't mind driving either of them, neither of them jump out at me as something to aspire to drive one day

Raghavan

STI. The only thing the GTO has going for it is RWD.

goldenlover1101

GTO, rwd and 400 hp for 33k, cant beat it

"The more people I meet the more I like my dog."

850CSi

Now, the GTO looks very boring. But the STi is ugly. So that's a tie.

Otherwise, it's very, very easy. RWD and a V8. Every time.

850CSi

Quote from: Raghavan on September 06, 2007, 08:28:26 PM
STI. The only thing the GTO has going for it is RWD.

... And a much, much, much better powerplant.

heelntoe

GTO for me!!

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 05, 2007, 03:25:19 PM
i came into this thread thinking it was a comparison to the new GT-R.
@heelntoe

Raza

I think you're all underestimating the GTO.
I'm almost certain that all the STI has on it is outright grip.  I'm a huge Subie fa

EDIT:  This cut off for some reason

I'm a huge Subie fan, and the STI really hurt when it turned out to be so disappointing.  As it were, the regular WRX was more satisfying to drive than the STI was.  And, considering how not special the STI felt during normal driving, it feels like they didn't even bother with making the driver feel he was getting more than the WRX other than when he saw his time slips.  The GTO, and the Evo, the more direct competitor for the STI, both feel special when driving at even mundane speeds.  That's what sets them above the STI.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

Quote from: 850CSi on September 07, 2007, 02:49:24 AM
Now, the GTO looks very boring. But the STi is ugly. So that's a tie.
Actually, I would take boring over ugly any day.

QuoteOtherwise, it's very, very easy. RWD and a V8. Every time.
Amen.