Ford F150 Harley Davidson - 450hp for 2008.

Started by sandertheshark, September 05, 2007, 10:38:00 PM

GoCougs

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on September 08, 2007, 02:20:56 PM
I don't understand how people drool over these overpriced,slow,and outdated turds.  :huh:

I think it's a very similar mentality to owning muscle cars.

I personally can't stand them. Most riders seem like uber posers, and the whole loud pipe thing embrasses the entire country.

On an objective product spec level, the Japanese bikes are vastly superior in most every regard, and they generally cost less, too.

JYODER240

/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

SVT666

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on September 08, 2007, 02:20:56 PM
[/b]
I don't understand how people drool over these overpriced,slow,and outdated turds.  :huh:
They don't have to be fast and high tech to be cool.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 10, 2007, 12:34:41 PM
They don't have to be fast and high tech to be cool.

No they don't, and Harleys are cool. They are also more capable and more reliable than most of their detractors seem to think. They may not be on par with the Japs on a dollar-to-dollar basis, but as long as that H-D logo is on the side of the tank thay don't need to be either.

Now, you can say a vast majority of owners are either latte-swilling badge-whore wannabes or beer-swilling jingoistic slobs (or a combination of the two) and not get much of an argument from me: but I like the bikes.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Pancor

Quote from: sandertheshark on September 08, 2007, 02:39:50 PM
I wasn't even going to bring Buell in to it.  Harleys are damn fine bikes.

I can see how kids would be unimpressed with a Soft Tail or a Fat Boy the same way they'd shrug at an old Chevelle but their new bikes especially that Night Rod I posted, are thoroughly modern and quite beautiful.

Buells aren't really related to HD in any way besides the engines...

SVT666

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 10, 2007, 04:37:14 PM
No they don't, and Harleys are cool. They are also more capable and more reliable than most of their detractors seem to think. They may not be on par with the Japs on a dollar-to-dollar basis, but as long as that H-D logo is on the side of the tank thay don't need to be either.

Now, you can say a vast majority of owners are either latte-swilling badge-whore wannabes or beer-swilling jingoistic slobs (or a combination of the two) and not get much of an argument from me: but I like the bikes.
Why can't people like Harleys, own Harleys, and ride Harleys and not be badge whores even if they are middle aged white collar people?  You don't have to be a gang member to be genuine Harley fan.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 10, 2007, 05:01:30 PM
Why can't people like Harleys, own Harleys, and ride Harleys and not be badge whores even if they are middle aged white collar people?  You don't have to be a gang member to be genuine Harley fan.

Hey, I never once even mentioned morocycle clubs...

Anyways; yes, it is possible that people can do that. Quite simply though: most of them don't.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

sandertheshark

Quote from: Pancor on September 10, 2007, 04:41:22 PM

Buells aren't really related to HD in any way besides the engines...
That's why I wasn't going to bring them into it.

sandertheshark

SVT666

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 10, 2007, 05:14:18 PM
Hey, I never once even mentioned morocycle clubs...

Anyways; yes, it is possible that people can do that. Quite simply though: most of them don't.
That's such a gross generalization and I think it's completely unfair.  I would say there are some that are like that.  But you don't spend $20K on a Harley and have the really loud pipes if you don't truly love it.  You'd be surprised at the people who are covered in tattoos, ride Harleys, and absolutely love it.  I personally know a doctor and an oil exec who are like that.  Personally I would love a Harley.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 10, 2007, 08:01:16 PM
That's such a gross generalization and I think it's completely unfair.  I would say there are some that are like that.  But you don't spend $20K on a Harley and have the really loud pipes if you don't truly love it.  You'd be surprised at the people who are covered in tattoos, ride Harleys, and absolutely love it.  I personally know a doctor and an oil exec who are like that.  Personally I would love a Harley.

I didn't say that they don't love it. I said they're wannabes.

"I'm a doctor/lawyer/accountant/executive but on the weekends I ride a Harley and wear shirts that show off my tattoos so everyone knows what a badass I am. Listen to my exhaust and know it."

Please.

Eye of the Tiger

If I could get a substantial discount off the MSRP, I wouldn't mind rocking one of these. It is a refreshing departure from the typical chrome-OMG-SHINY-bikes that require so much time to keep them polished, that you may never have time to ride. I have ridden a 883 Sportster (2002-ish model) a few times, and despite the horrid vibrations and scary handling, it was still rather entertaining to crack the throttle open and scare the crap out of horses running in the fields along the sides of the highway. However, the only real improvement over my own 1977 Suzuki GS750 (which I rode in comparison back-to-back) was a bit smoother operation of the controls. Otherwise, it was slower, rougher, handled worse, less comfortable, and the brakes were equally bad.

As for the whole "style" that goes along with 99.9% of Harley riders, that's for retards. I would never use a brain bucket helmet (or even worse, just a bandana (or even worse, a completely shaved head)), assless chaps(wtf!), a $300 jacket with a giant Harley-Davidson logo on the back (so I can advertise how much I suck at spending money!?), or the gay cowboy riveted leather saddle bags with belt buckles for straps and faggoty tassels. As it stands, this particular bike goes for nearly $10,000, which is just insulting to anybody who really rides (and isn't a gajillionzillionmillionaire)

For the life of me, I can't understand why boring bikes are so much more popular than the fun ones, but I also can't understand why SUV's are so popular, so I guess I'm just an idiot.
/rant  :P
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

JYODER240

sandertheshark

JYODER240

Quote from: sandertheshark on September 10, 2007, 09:30:33 PM
$15k.

Thats not to bad. I'd much rather spend an extra 3-4K and have some different than your everyday GXR1000 or R1.

FordSVT

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 10, 2007, 08:13:42 PM
I didn't say that they don't love it. I said they're wannabes.

"I'm a doctor/lawyer/accountant/executive but on the weekends I ride a Harley and wear shirts that show off my tattoos so everyone knows what a badass I am. Listen to my exhaust and know it."

Please.

As opposed to the huge number of "purists" who buy BMWs, Porsches, Lambos, Vettes and Ferraris? There are poseurs everywhere, no reason to hate on the brand for it. The majority of people who buy those cars do so because they're status symbols, just like the Harley is a status symbol. And in any case, what's worse: a middle aged man living out his dream by purchasing an overpriced Hog or some asshole 18 year old with a deathwish and his 145 hp GSX-R? That's just about the only people I see riding them if I want to start throwing anecdotes around.

And Harleys are nowheres near as unreliable as they were in the 70s and 80s, the Japanese cruisers forced them to get their shit together and from what I've heard from owners they're rather stout machines now. That friend of mine with the V-rod has put 45,000 kms on his bike and has had zero problems with it, not one. My best friend's brother and father both own big Yamaha cruisers. Nice bikes, seem to be reliable, nothing special. Probably paid $5,000 less than the equivalent Harley, that's good, but they also depreciate faster than Harleys, so that's a wash.

Comparisons to the Mustang are valid insofar as there are often certain design compromises made to satisfy their more rabid fans. If you don't "get it", you just don't, and you move on and buy something else.

Personally, I'd like a Ducati. As sanders said above, they're the Ferrari of motorcycles. The Japanese bikes are common as dirt, I wouldn't want to see my bike everywhere. I like Buells too because they're also stylish and uncommon and different, that's what my best friend rides. Great touring bike, not a competitor to the supersports with the low-revving Harley motor, but a ton of torque and a nice upright sitting position. Really light too.

I need a bike.... need to get my bike license first!  :lol:

sandertheshark

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FordSVT on September 10, 2007, 09:35:51 PM
As opposed to the huge number of "purists" who buy BMWs, Porsches, Lambos, Vettes and Ferraris? There are poseurs everywhere, no reason to hate on the brand for it.

Please re-read my posts; slowly if need be.

Now, didn't I say I like the bikes?

omicron

The wheels on Harley Davidsons are made five minutes up the road from here.

Gotta-Qik-C7

My cousin rides the Hog in this picture and I've taken it out a few times.I still don't care for the bike.Some do look nice but I would never spend that kind of money for a bike so lacking in performance.Its like buying a Z06 with a 4 banger.  :nono:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Onslaught

What's with the ear bursting sound of a Harley Davidson bike? I find if more annoying that just about any sound on the road. Even more so then a Civic with a buzz bomb muffler.
And is there any law against such an annoying thing like that?

SVT666

Quote from: Onslaught on September 11, 2007, 06:02:21 AM
What's with the ear bursting sound of a Harley Davidson bike? I find if more annoying that just about any sound on the road. Even more so then a Civic with a buzz bomb muffler.
There is, but no one enforces it.  I got pulled over for the exhaust on my Mustang and while he was telling me why he pulled me over, about a dozen Harleys drove by and I couldn't hear him.  After the bikes went by, he just looked at me and said, "Never mind.  Have a nice day".

EDIT:  Harleys aren't very loud from the factory.  The ones that are ear splitting loud have aftermarket pipes on them and the guys riding them usually wear ear plugs.  Stupid.  I would keep a Harley's exhaust stock if I got one.

Champ

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 11, 2007, 08:05:06 AM
There is, but no one enforces it.  I got pulled over for the exhaust on my Mustang and while he was telling me why he pulled me over, about a dozen Harleys drove by and I couldn't hear him.  After the bikes went by, he just looked at me and said, "Never mind.  Have a nice day".
:ohyeah:

JYODER240

Quote from: Onslaught on September 11, 2007, 06:02:21 AM

There's a couple of guys that live near me that run straight pipes on their Harleys. I probably live 150ft from the road and you can't hear the TV in the back of the house when they ride by.

the_koof

Quote from: Submariner on September 07, 2007, 01:37:57 PM
I've had a run with a chipped (I'm guessing) 2500 HD.  Twas fast.  But not fas enough.

Quote from: R-inge on September 08, 2007, 11:39:35 AM
Meh, it's ok.  When I'm pushing 280hp,320ft/lbs I won't worry too much about them.

I know I am late with this reply but I'd rethink that if I were you.

The real diesel heads can make mind boggling power that would stomp out most sports cars. They don't just throw on a chip and exhaust and call it a day. Recently, there have been guys cresting the 1000 RWHP barrier. There is one 2500HD Duramax LLY that did 1098 RWHP (torque must be well over 1500 lb-ft) on just fuel and massive boost alone. No nitrous, no propane, no drugs at all. This guy also drives his truck daily.

"If you only work on the days you feel good, you won't get much done in your life."

SVT666

Quote from: the_koof on September 11, 2007, 10:31:42 AM

The real diesel heads can make mind boggling power that would stomp out most sports cars. They don't just throw on a chip and exhaust and call it a day. Recently, there have been guys cresting the 1000 RWHP barrier. There is one 2500HD Duramax LLY that did 1098 RWHP (torque must be well over 1500 lb-ft) on just fuel and massive boost alone. No nitrous, no propane, no drugs at all. This guy also drives his truck daily.

I know of Diesel pickups running around Calgary here with 800 RWHP.  Unfortunately they all stick those 6" exhausts on them and they make the most obnoxious sound.  It's horrible sound.  There's no way it could even be remotely considered pleasing. 

Submariner

Well, if he can get to 60 in under 4.0, then he has me beet.

Some fatter rear tires are in the cars future, along with some light modifications.  Maybe it can get below 4 seconds.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Soup DeVille

Just don't ask him to  turn.

Raza

Never liked Harleys, or cruisers in general.  Love Ducs though, and Aprilias. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

JYODER240

Quote from: Submariner on September 11, 2007, 11:07:01 AM
Well, if he can get to 60 in under 4.0, then he has me beet.

Some fatter rear tires are in the cars future, along with some light modifications.  Maybe it can get below 4 seconds.

Are you saying your car goes from 0-60 in 4 seconds?