I don't think we'll have the minivan too much longer

Started by 2o6, September 07, 2007, 07:14:42 PM

2o6

My parents' 99 Grand Voyager is nice, but It really doesn't suit the needs of our family. It has the 3.8L, so while quick, really sucks gas. My mom really thinks she needs a Cute-Ute, like a CR-V.

Here's the Criteria:

Must be used, under maybe $13000

Good or Decent MPG.

Not a car, she doesn't like stepping down into a car (Minivans are welcome, though)

Mom must be able to put her purse down next to her, i.e, no center console, car wide enough to put it on the floor next to her, break in console to put down purse.

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

ifcar

The center console is going to be the deal-breaker for most cars. Try to convince her to put her purse somewhere other than between the seats, and many choices open up.

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on September 07, 2007, 07:35:53 PM
The center console is going to be the deal-breaker for most cars. Try to convince her to put her purse somewhere other than between the seats, and many choices open up.

What about a Chevy Equinox, there's a break in between the console and gearshift.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: 2o6 on September 07, 2007, 08:00:41 PM

What about a Chevy Equinox, there's a break in between the console and gearshift.

There's also a 185hp Chinese boat anchor between the grille and the firewall.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on September 07, 2007, 08:00:41 PM

You're not going to improve your gas mileage with an Equinox.

USA_Idol

There's always the Kia Sedona, like Iffy's, but I'm not sure you would gain any fuel economy.   :huh:

Nebtek2002

Pontiac Aztek. Mine gets 22mpg in town, 28-29 on the road. Tons of room but about a foot shorter than a Grand Caravan. Prices are very low on low-mileage examples.

For the more conservative, the Buick Rendezvous.

Raza

Quote from: Nebtek2002 on September 18, 2007, 06:59:44 AM
Pontiac Aztek. Mine gets 22mpg in town, 28-29 on the road. Tons of room but about a foot shorter than a Grand Caravan. Prices are very low on low-mileage examples.

For the more conservative, the Buick Rendezvous.

Umm.....Aztek...?

Actually, yeah.  Funky looking, endlessly practical, and you'll surely stand out in a parking lot.  My friend gets 28mpg highway in his, and he's no light foot either.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

It only gets 2 mpg more than a Grand Voyager 3.8-liter. If fuel economy is going to be a big reason for trade-in, it doesn't make sense to get something that doesn't have a drastic improvement.

TheIntrepid

She doesn't need 3 rows does she? A Highlander would be a good choice. I find it weird that she wants to buy an SUV to IMPROVE her fuel economy. :huh:

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

nickdrinkwater

You can't buy an Aztek if you have any sense of style whatsoever!

Raza

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on September 18, 2007, 08:21:57 AM
You can't buy an Aztek if you have any sense of style whatsoever!

Function over form, my far too image-conscious friend.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

USA_Idol

Quote from: 2o6 on September 07, 2007, 07:14:42 PM
Not a car, she doesn't like stepping down into a car (Minivans are welcome, though)

What about pseudo-SUV hatchbacks like the Toyota Matrix and Pontiac Vibe?  These are extremely fuel efficient compared to a typical minivan or "real" SUV.

ifcar

Quote from: Raza  on September 18, 2007, 12:57:50 PM
Function over form, my far too image-conscious friend.

The premise of function over form makes me want one. But then I remember that it has terrible visibility and terrible interior quality, doesn't ride or handle better than the Sedona (which rides and handles poorly), and has 34 fewer feet of cargo space.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: ifcar on September 18, 2007, 01:11:25 PM
The premise of function over form makes me want one. But then I remember that it has terrible visibility and terrible interior quality, doesn't ride or handle better than the Sedona (which rides and handles poorly), and has 34 fewer feet of cargo space.

I'd take a Pontiac over a Kia, but I'd take a Sedona over an Aztek. I'd rather blend in than drive a vehicle that everyone notices because it's so damn ugly.

Raza

Quote from: ifcar on September 18, 2007, 01:11:25 PM

Is visibility really poor?  I haven't been in one, I just followed my friend's from my car; but it looks like there's a lot of glass there and visibility would be good, just based on a cursory assessment.  In any case, he's very satisfied with it, but he's looking to downsize soon.  He wants a Rabbit, but mostly if he can get it with a diesel.  He's also intrigued by the diesel Jetta.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Raza  on September 18, 2007, 01:15:36 PM
Is visibility really poor?  I haven't been in one, I just followed my friend's from my car; but it looks like there's a lot of glass there and visibility would be good, just based on a cursory assessment.  In any case, he's very satisfied with it, but he's looking to downsize soon.  He wants a Rabbit, but mostly if he can get it with a diesel.  He's also intrigued by the diesel Jetta.

There's a diesel Rabbit coming?

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

Quote from: TheIntrepid on September 18, 2007, 01:18:18 PM
There's a diesel Rabbit coming?

For the MkVI, I believe, but not for the MkV in the US.  Due to the lag, the current model isn't going to be around much longer; I think the MkVI is going to be launched simultaneously in the US and abroad.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Raza  on September 18, 2007, 01:24:21 PM
For the MkVI, I believe, but not for the MkV in the US.  Due to the lag, the current model isn't going to be around much longer; I think the MkVI is going to be launched simultaneously in the US and abroad.

Oh okay. I think VW's losing a lot of sales by not offering a TDI Rabbit right now. They sell the City Golf here, which as you know is the MkIV, for an excellent price but it has that shitty 2.0 petrol.

2o6

Quote from: TheIntrepid on September 18, 2007, 08:12:55 AM
She doesn't need 3 rows does she? A Highlander would be a good choice. I find it weird that she wants to buy an SUV to IMPROVE her fuel economy. :huh:

Considering the GV gets worse MPG than our V6 econoline, while being driven less, Yeah, an SUV would be better.

To the Vibe:

No. She Hates little cars.......even if they're not little........ She's used to the econoline, and she just wouldn't like it.

When she was bigger, she rode in the back of a 1st Gen Rav-4, and complimented on how roomy it was (for it's size)

To The Aztek: In retrospect, I should have reccomended it to my older brother (Doesn't know much about cars) who drives a Grand Prix...... She says she likes the Aztek, even if the Aztek is ugly. The Rendevous is ok.........

For Refrence, (Just guesstimating) the V6 econoline gets maybe 17-20 when driven.

The GV gets around 13-16.

TheIntrepid

2o6

Quote from: TheIntrepid on September 18, 2007, 01:53:48 PM
You guys have an Econoline? WHY!?

She's used to driving one. There's 7 of us,(including mom and dad), all boys, and the Econoline while not fast, is ultra roomy and Comfortable. and the V6 version doesn't really suck gas as bad as you think.

TheIntrepid

Oh okay. Cool. That makes sense. Yeah, then shouldn't she have 3 rows? Maybe a Yukon or Tahoe to replace the Voyager?

2o6

Quote from: TheIntrepid on September 18, 2007, 01:58:09 PM
Oh okay. Cool. That makes sense. Yeah, then shouldn't she have 3 rows? Maybe a Yukon or Tahoe to replace the Voyager?

There's only four of us now.........one of which has their own car.

They're downsizing.

Nebtek2002

Your Grand Voyager doesn't have AWD, does it.

My old Grand Caravan AWD got 17mpg in town if the temperature was above freezing or you didn't use AC in town. Then it could be as low as 13.5.

My old short-wheelbase 4-cylinder '84 and '89 Voyagers got much better mileage-- and the '84 was carbureted, not fuel injected and had a very finicky automatic choke.

Improving my mileage to 22 in town, with an all-time worst of 17.6 in below-zero weather--still .6 better than a good run in my GC, relly cut my operating expense.

And the highway mileage of 28, with a best run of 29.3, beats 21 average, best run 22.7 by quite a bit.

5 or 6 mpg is a more significant saving when it's 22vs.17 than when it's 40 vs. 35.

Even a gain of "only" 2mpg is 15% when you're used to 13, and 12.5% gain on 16. Not insignificant in the long run.

BTW, my sister has a Kia van. It sucks down the gas as badly as any V-6 Chrysler and I hate the odd ( compared with Chrysler and Pontiac) driving position. The Kia has a power seat, none of my Chryslers had one, nor does the Aztek--and yet I can't get as comfortable with 6-way adjustment as with just fore-and-aft on my present and former vehicles.

Submariner

Quote from: TheIntrepid on September 18, 2007, 01:53:48 PM
You guys have an Econoline? WHY!?

I was more shocked at the knowledge that they made a V-6 version. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Nebtek2002

If my son's 10 years of trouble-free service with the 4.2 liter Ford V-6 is any indication, the engine is perfectly fine for an Econoline.

In a 4WD pickup, the engine delivers 21mpg with the cruise set at 80. To get that kind of mileage in my old Grand Caravan, I needed to keep under 70.

sparkplug

I heard the Ford 500/Taurus sits higher off the ground. She could check out a Freestyle. We got one and it got great gas mileage.

One of the problems with minivan I personally believe is that they are geared too low.
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.