I don't think we'll have the minivan too much longer

Started by 2o6, September 07, 2007, 07:14:42 PM

2o6

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on December 31, 2007, 03:50:08 PM
What about a previous generation xB?

That May be TOO small for her and my dad's tastes.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

ifcar

Quote from: 1o7 on January 02, 2008, 07:56:52 PM

That May be TOO small for her and my dad's tastes.

There's little difference in usable space.

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on January 02, 2008, 08:18:09 PM
There's little difference in usable space.

She Doesn't like to feel small. She likes "more car" around her.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 1o7 on January 02, 2008, 08:18:57 PM

She Doesn't like to feel small. She likes "more car" around her.

It's a widespread notion.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

2o6

Wow....I'm repeating myself.

My parents No longer need two 7-passenger vehicles, and the Grand Voyager sucks gas, (3.8L)and my mom hates it.

They want something reasonably large, that the don't have to step down into.

However, my mom rode in a new Scion xB and she loved it.

Criteria:

Used. Under $10000

Lots of usable space in a small package (smallish wagons are acceptable, except the corolla. She hates that car)

High, upright seats. My peoples don't like stepping down into cars.

Not a requirement, but my mom needs to be able to put her purse down. She does not like putting it in the trunk. Either next to her, or no center console.

Better MPG's than the GV.

I'm thinking Saturn VUE, there's a break in the center console.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

2o6

The Pirate

Ford Focus or Chevy Impala?  They aren't going to be as high up as minivan/SUV, but they are hardly low-slung either.

Purse stowage might be an issue in the Focus, though.  Base Impalas did have a bench seat of sorts with a column shifter, so that would work.

You could get a pretty new Focus or an '04 Impala with good miles for $10K.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

ifcar

Taurus/Sable is better than Impala, if she goes the large family sedan with bench seat route.

Eye of the Tiger

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on February 23, 2008, 04:34:47 PM
Taurus/Sable is better than Impala, if she goes the large family sedan with bench seat route.

Maybe. I'd think she'd like the versitility of a hatch, but sedans are welcome.

The Pirate

Quote from: ifcar on February 23, 2008, 04:34:47 PM

Why?

I have a bit of seat time driving an Impala, and a few short rides in Tauruses and Sables over the years.  To me, the Impala seems like a better car.  I've never really shopped in that segment, so I never paid close attention to the cars though.

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

2o6

Quote from: The Pirate on February 23, 2008, 04:37:22 PM
Why?

I have a bit of seat time driving an Impala, and a few short rides in Tauruses and Sables over the years.  To me, the Impala seems like a better car.  I've never really shopped in that segment, so I never paid close attention to the cars though.

My mom had a sable before....she loved it.

Escape?

The Pirate

Quote from: 2o6 on February 23, 2008, 04:40:29 PM

My mom had a sable before....she loved it.

Escape?

So would she buy a Sable again?  That's certainly something to look at.  I like Escapes, she should probably test drive one of those too.

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on February 23, 2008, 04:36:52 PM

Maybe. I'd think she'd like the versitility of a hatch, but sedans are welcome.

Then a Taurus/Sable wagon would work even better.

Quote from: The Pirate on February 23, 2008, 04:37:22 PM
Why?

The W-Body has poor interior packaging that leads to a low, relatively small rear seat. I've never thought the front seats were very comfortable either, but that's more subjective than the lack of rear seat space. The Taurus by contrast has big, high, comfortable seats in the front and rear. The Taurus also has a higher-quality interior (by default), and it's also generally less expensive now.

Eye of the Tiger

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Eye of the Tiger

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Soup DeVille

TBR

And since when does the CR-V have a 2.8l? It's a 2.4l.