Can you tell them apart? DB9 and V8 Vantage

Started by TBR, September 09, 2007, 03:36:52 PM

Can you tell apart the two Astons from pictures?

Yes
15 (68.2%)
No
7 (31.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

the Teuton

I can tell there are differences, but which is which?  They look too similar.  I want them to make an old school looking stately car like the Virage.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

the Teuton

This car was a beast and I'd probably take it over a Vanquish.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

the Teuton

This is the automotive equivalent to a Luther Vandross song.

JYODER240

I can tell them apart easily. However, I can see where the untrained eye could confuse them.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

The Pirate

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

TBR

I can understand how you might mistake them if you just glance, but in further observation the differences are obvious.

ifcar

If you post two different angles, it's rather difficult to compare to see the differences.

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

giant_mtb

I can indeed see the differences, so technically, I can tell them apart.  The only problem is that even if I can see the differences, I couldn't tell you which one is which.  Which is why I voted No.

Raza

Of course I can tell them apart.  The gray one's an Aston Martin.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

VetteZ06

I only hesitate slightly when I'm presented with a head-on view of either car.

SVT666

Easy.  To tell them apart at a quick glance the V8 Vantage has a hard character line down the side of the car.  If you have time to look at the cars the differences become apparent.

TBR

^^Exactly^^

And what happened to your vast majority Tepid?

Ifcar, I know, I know. But, you see, I am lazy. I just posted the first good V8 Vantage picture I found and then couldn't find a DB9 picture from a corresponding angle. Rather than go back and find a different picture of the V8 Vantage I took the easy way out.

ChrisV

Quote from: JYODER240 on September 09, 2007, 04:25:30 PM
I can tell them apart easily. However, I can see where the untrained eye could confuse them.

Same here, But I could care less about the untrained eye, as people like that don't matter. ;)

I can tell all the Aston models apart at a glance. I LIKE the family resemblance, just like I can tell the different iPod models apart, and the different Cuisinart models apart and the different Dell computers apart.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

omicron

On a side note, it's interesting how the phrase 'I could care less' means the exact opposite here as it seems to for United Stations.

ifcar

Quote from: omicron on September 10, 2007, 07:39:58 AM
On a side note, it's interesting how the phrase 'I could care less' means the exact opposite here as it seems to for United Stations.

The correct phrase is "I couldn't care less." "I could care less" obviously makes no sense. But people generally don't speak properly in the US.

omicron

Quote from: ifcar on September 10, 2007, 07:40:41 AM
The correct phrase is "I couldn't care less." "I could care less" obviously makes no sense. But people generally don't speak properly in the US.

I thought it unusual to use a phrase that is entirely contradictory, but didn't realise it was due to...reasons other than fundamental differences of meaning.

ChrisV

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Raza

Quote from: omicron on September 10, 2007, 07:39:58 AM

It doesn't, it's just often misused.  It is "I couldn't care less".

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

omicron

Quote from: Raza  on September 10, 2007, 08:49:09 AM
It doesn't, it's just often misused.  It is "I couldn't care less".

To say ' I could care less' is not just misuse; it is a physical rape, torture and murder of the English language. I haven't felt this upset since Roger Federer started crying when his Whopper with Cheese came without Cheese.

goldenlover1101

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 09, 2007, 06:15:45 PM
I can indeed see the differences, so technically, I can tell them apart.  The only problem is that even if I can see the differences, I couldn't tell you which one is which.  Which is why I voted No.

I aggree. There are definite differences between the two but I can't tell which is which so i voted no also. They need to make them more seperated in appearance.

"The more people I meet the more I like my dog."

omicron

Given the two have different taillights, different C-pillar, different headlights, different grille, different wheels, different doors, different fender vents, different front bumper.......

....I'm going with 'Yes'.

VetteZ06

SVT_Power

I can tell the difference, but the similarities are ridiculous. They need to make either of them more distinctive
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Soup DeVille

Quote from: goldenlover1101 on September 10, 2007, 11:39:46 AM
I aggree. There are definite differences between the two but I can't tell which is which so i voted no also. They need to make them more seperated in appearance.

Why make a car look uglier (and yes: in this case that's the only choice) just to make it different?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

sandertheshark

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 10, 2007, 06:45:44 PM
Why make a car look uglier (and yes: in this case that's the only choice) just to make it different?
What he said.

The models are supposed to look the same.  It's an Aston Martin.  If you're not the one driving it, that's all you need to know.

(and yes, I can correctly identify any Aston Martin model with a quick glance at any angle.)

Raza

Quote from: sandertheshark on September 10, 2007, 07:06:46 PM
What he said.

The models are supposed to look the same.  It's an Aston Martin.  If you're not the one driving it, that's all you need to know.

That's all I need to know to be still unimpressed with the styling of newer Astons.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

omicron

Quote from: Raza  on September 10, 2007, 07:09:06 PM

That's all I need to know to be still unimpressed with the styling of newer Astons.

I simply must have one in my garage. Majestic!