New BMW M3 V8 owner and his first impressions (+photos)

Started by cawimmer430, September 10, 2007, 05:55:40 AM

MexicoCityM3

The Brits are getting their first delivered M3s and here are a couple more initial reviews from owners at M3Post:

From user Leg: "Well I got my test drive yesterday and all I can say is any doubts have gone and I confirmed I wanted to proceed with my order.

Restricted to 4500 revs and roads around Leeds (although we found a few quiet roundabouts and I 'accidently' hit 5500 revs occasionally) I cant say I pushed the car particularly but from driving into the dealers and seeing the car through to watching Richard from Leeds BMW drive it away at the end I was impressed throughout.

Ive driven quattro Audis for the last 6 years and a key factor in getting the M3 over an RS4 for me was a desire to have a more challenging car to drive. Ive built and tracked Westfields in the past and had to give that up due to time (work and family) and ever since have found Audis to be just a little too safe and predictable. Great cars (Ive had plenty as I mentioned) but they always failed to get the same adrenalin pump out of me as the Westfield could.

The M3 was everything I hoped for. Seeing it parked next to a normal 3 coupe, also in black, I just couldnt stop grinning. All concerns of it looking like a normal 3 coupe were gone instantly, this thing looks meaty with a capital 'WOW'. That bonnet bulge could house a small family! The rear arches look huge from behind and the only angle I would say it loses it a little is from the front at around 45 degrees to the car when the arches blend a bit. Still looks great though.

The interior is a great place to be too. Last year I went out and bought one of the last original 3.2 TTs before they went out of poduction as I always liked them and wanted one to modify and keep for good. I always felt the interior on that car was probably one of the nicest places to be in any car. However the M3 felt just as good if a little toned down. Chunkier and more solid as well. There are plenty of nice styling touches from the twisted door grabs to the subtle but stylish seat designs. I was impressed throughout.

I was a little concerned about the 'sitting too high' reports but found that my favoured position of steering wheel high and out and the seat as low as possible delivered a perfect driving position. Steering wheel is fine too, journos must have small hands!

Driving wise what can I say, engine sounds fantastic, handles great - just a great car all round and I look forward to parting with ?55K for mine.

If you were doubting, dont, the journalists are talking out of their arses.

The car got lots of attention too as you woudl imagine. Oh and a big up to the chap in an M3 E30 who shouted across at the lights 'BUY IT NOW, BUY IT NOW' and stuck his thumb up out of his window."

From Peppernick: "Touched based with Hexagon of Highgate to find that they have sold both their demo M3s, the latest one got locked up just this morning. Not good as I was expecting a test drive. However, one very friendly principal Paul Michaels decided to volunteer his own E92 M3 to tickle my tastebuds; but then I brought along Durgesh and he's not leaving the dealearship without wetting his pants.

Mr Michaels just picked up his car today, the odometer read 17 miles. Lovely example in Jerez Black with Fox Red interior. This car is fully optioned, the price, 6 large ones, GBP.

The E92 M3 is a big car. Probably not as wide as the 6-series, but just as long if not just slightly longer. My Zee seems dwarfted next to it.

The interior is typical BMW. However, a driver orientated dash is not all about that old-styled curvy dash that points towards the driver. In fact, such concept is all psychological and/or one refusing to depart from the days gone by. It's 2007, it's high tech age and the E92 dash is as modern and as driver orientated as it can be. Every important and regularly used adjustment button is well within reach and functions as it should be. Any adjustments that are used less frequently are held in the sub menu of the i-Drive, decluttering the dash. The i-Drive is a fantastic piece of technological advancement. Anybody who is capable of using a PC will be able to operate it. The screen is very well placed and there is no chance of reflections from the windows and windscreen obscuring your view, images and letters displayed are crystal clear. The dash is very driver orientated.

The E92 M3 is a much softer car than it's E46 predecessor. The clutch pedal is light as feather, yet there is progressiveness in it's travel giving you an idea where the bite point is, right in the middle of pedal travel. The steering wheel is very light. In fact I was rather shocked as it reminded me of the Z4, or a Merc. However, unlike the former two, you still get enough communication between the road and steering wheel. It's no Porsche, but for something that feels this light and assisted, the feedback is surprisingly good. Steering is very precise for such a large car, even with a V8 up front.

The V8 is one quick engine. We were given strict instructions not to take it above 5000RPM, but we managed to squeeze in some 6.5k in second and third. On paper the torque figure reads 295lb/ft. In reality it feels much stronger. The new M3 pulls just like the E39 M5, but unlike the older S65 lump, this V8 screams rev! It spins very similarly to the S54, but with added pull, a lot more pull. Hit the sport button and the engine really wakes up. Unlike the 'Sport' button on the E46 M3, the new 'Sport' button actually make the car more drivable around town. The new car doesn't kangaroo and jerk like the old one, it's like a fast forward button that quickens everything up, smoothly.

The E39 M5 is a very accomplished car, other than the re-circulating ball steering, it's mass and hence, it's sideway inertia, there's very little to fault it. The E92 M3 IMO is essentially the best bits of the E39 M5 but without the woolley steering and the mass effect. OK, it's not a light car at 1650kg, but it's extremely nippy for what it is and you don't feel the weight. It has a tendency to go sideways but that's because of the engine power and not weight. This new chassis is a line hugger.

Oh, that noise!  You can tune the 335i anyway you like, you'll never get this feeling ....

Overall impression, the new E92 M3 is a superb everyday performance car. It's not a sports car you you can chuck round hairpins, it's not a road going race car that offers you amazing feedback. It's not better or worse than the E46 M3, it's completely different! My understanding is correct. Over the years, the M3 has evolved from a road racer to a GT. It's not cheap at ?50k for a 3-series; but if you think about it, what other new GTs can you get with a 415BHP V8, rear wheel drive, rear seats that are genuinely usable, the option of a manual gearbox or SMG, a bit of panarch, a respectable badge, for this kind of money? TBH, I can't think of any.

The traditionalist may criticise that it's a revolution instead of an evolution, but I'm glad the new M3 is what it currently represents. It's still the most versatile performance Coupe de Grace that you can comfortably enjoy everyday with your family and friends, with lots of character of a RWD chassis.

I look forward to getting mine in March."

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Raza

Sounds like a very honest review. 

But I wouldn't call the M3 challenging, based on some of his descriptions. 

Either way, it seems like this is going to be a good car.  I still wouldn't buy one.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: sandertheshark on September 10, 2007, 08:53:01 PM
You mean the one that was once called "The Best Handling Car Ever, at Any Price?"
You mean the first M3 widely available in the US?
The first and so far only M3 sedan?

You could wish for worse.

Yeah, like an E92!

The E36 M3 combines the sharpness of the E30 with a bit more power.  Possibly the best BMW ever made, and now I find myself opening an Autotrader to find a sedan version....damn!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  on September 11, 2007, 03:56:33 PM
Yeah, like an E92!

The E36 M3 combines the sharpness of the E30 with a bit more power.  Possibly the best BMW ever made, and now I find myself opening an Autotrader to find a sedan version....damn!
Sharpness of the E30 huh...

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Raza  on September 11, 2007, 03:56:33 PM
Yeah, like an E92!

I think the E46 is actually sharper and more hard core than the E36. The E30 is sharper than either by quite a bit.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Raza

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 11, 2007, 06:49:20 PM
I think the E46 is actually sharper and more hard core than the E36. The E30 is sharper than either by quite a bit.

:rolleyes:

Just be happy I'm saying nice things about a BMW.

:lol: :lol:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i