Started by the Teuton, September 13, 2007, 09:29:32 AM

Old School or New School? (read down)

Virage Vantage
9 (37.5%)
Vanquish
15 (62.5%)

Total Members Voted: 22

the Teuton

So which will you take:  the best of the old world versus the best of the new? The Virage had 530 hp in its "normal" form and an optional 600 hp from its supercharged 5.3 liter V8.  With 14" brakes, this car could also stop as well as it went for a 4,500 lbs. car.  It also was very limited production and coachbuilt to spec, with only 40 built in the commemorative LeMans special edition, which upped the ante a little more.

Next is the Vanquish with 450-520 hp, depending on the model.  I don't need to explain much, as most of you know what kind of performance and kit it has (there, some Brit terminology for you all).  But it looks like every other Aston in the lineup right now.

So the question is, which one would you want?

Me, I'm going with the Virage.  It's like a Bentley that can handle.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

ro51092

the Teuton

Ro, I'd take a 993 Turbo over either of these two, too, but it's all about the tea and crumpets.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

omicron

ro51092

Quote from: the Teuton on September 13, 2007, 09:32:37 AM
Ro, I'd take a 993 Turbo over either of these two, too, but it's all about the tea and crumpets.

haha, I was just kidding. I said at the end I'd take a Vanquish. But good to hear Porsche is still the overall winner.

SVT666

I love the Virage, but it's Vanquish S for me.

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

thewizard16

I like the Vanquish better. You should have compared it to the DBS. The vote would probably be more lopsided. The Vanquish doesn't look as amazing to me as it once did, thanks to it's more recent siblings.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: the Teuton on September 13, 2007, 09:29:32 AM
So which will you take:  the best of the old world versus the best of the new? The Virage had 530 hp in its "normal" form and an optional 600 hp from its supercharged 5.3 liter V8.  With 14" brakes, this car could also stop as well as it went for a 4,500 lbs. car.  It also was very limited production and coachbuilt to spec, with only 40 built in the commemorative LeMans special edition, which upped the ante a little more.

Next is the Vanquish with 450-520 hp, depending on the model.  I don't need to explain much, as most of you know what kind of performance and kit it has (there, some Brit terminology for you all).  But it looks like every other Aston in the lineup right now.

So the question is, which one would you want?

Me, I'm going with the Virage.  It's like a Bentley that can handle.

Really though, the V12 Vanquish is a mix of the old and new school Astons.  IIRC it's the last Aston to be individually hand built.

And while it's true that all Astons share the same design language, I think it's fairer to say that all the other Astons look like the Vanquish - not the other way round.

I still think it's a great looking car.  One of those cars that has always looked just ok in pictures, but really nice in the metal.

850CSi

TheIntrepid

Vanquish.

Of course, I'd take a Rapide over both, oh wait, I already have. :devil:

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Raza

I'll take the car that won't eat 5 gearboxes on the way home.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sandertheshark

I can't vote against a Henrik Fisker design.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Raza  on September 13, 2007, 03:24:59 PM

Oh, okay.

the Teuton

The Virage's transmission came straight out of the Corvette ZR-1, FYI.

SVT_Power

Virage. Not a huge fan of current Aston designs.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Raza

Quote from: TheIntrepid on September 13, 2007, 06:12:04 PM
Oh, okay.

:confused:

The Vanquish sucks.  It took Top Gear three transmissions to do one hot lap.

Virage any day.  Or, better yet, V8 Vantage Le Mans.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Northlands

The Virage. It's beautiful, yet looks a bit like a Brute. Massive power, even back in it's heyday.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

JYODER240

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=11148.msg568088#msg568088 date=1189718699

So you'll take neither?
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

JYODER240

Quote from: TheIntrepid on September 13, 2007, 06:12:04 PM
Oh, okay.

You get mad at us when we make fun of the Camry but you ask for it when you post things like that.

goldenlover1101

"The more people I meet the more I like my dog."

the Teuton

I'm really surprised that the Virage has such a following.  I really like the car.

SVT_Power

Quote from: Northlands on September 13, 2007, 07:10:30 PM
The Virage. It's beautiful, yet looks a bit like a Brute. Massive power, even back in it's heyday.

:rockon:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=11148.msg568276#msg568276 date=1189730705
:confused:

The Vanquish sucks.  It took Top Gear three transmissions to do one hot lap.

Virage any day.  Or, better yet, V8 Vantage Le Mans.
The Vanquish has a new transmission.  It's far more reliable.

nickdrinkwater

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 14, 2007, 08:50:34 AM
The Vanquish has a new transmission.  It's far more reliable.

It was the Vanquish S they tested; it was the newest version at the time.  Is there a new one?

In any case, when I said "The Vanquish sucks", I didn't mean sucks in an absolute way.  I just wouldn't buy one, because of the gearbox and because it's really no faster than a DB9, which costs so much less.  Plus, the DB9 is available with a three pedal 'box.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TheIntrepid

Quote from: JYODER240 on September 13, 2007, 08:20:33 PM
You get mad at us when we make fun of the Camry but you ask for it when you post things like that.

It was a joke. Plus, most people here agree that the Camry gets bashed on this forum way too much unnecessarily.

Raza

Quote from: TheIntrepid on September 18, 2007, 01:19:02 PM
It was a joke. Plus, most people here agree that the Camry gets bashed on this forum way too much unnecessarily.

Probably not.  It's not only a car that goes against what an enthusiast stands for, it's a car that's far too successful not to become an object of contempt. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=11148.msg573483#msg573483 date=1190141342
It was the Vanquish S they tested; it was the newest version at the time.  Is there a new one?

In any case, when I said "The Vanquish sucks", I didn't mean sucks in an absolute way.  I just wouldn't buy one, because of the gearbox and because it's really no faster than a DB9, which costs so much less.  Plus, the DB9 is available with a three pedal 'box.
My mistake.  I thought I read somewhere that the Vanquish S would be available with that stupid paddle shifter OR a traditional manual.  I guess I read wrong.  I would take a V8 Vantage or a DB9 over the Vanquish just because of the gearbox too.

JYODER240

Quote from: TheIntrepid on September 18, 2007, 01:19:02 PM

Yes we know it is a joke but it's one you use every time you get the chance. If you going to act like the Camry is an amazing car be prepared for people to bash it. Especialy on an enthusiasts forum.